Great Drum Corps Solos

Jeff Trehy, Cru snare solo 06 ftw.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And does the name Ruby Begonia strike a familiar note. Here comes the judge. Here comes the judge.

Sorry couldn't resist. :tongue:

Technically, it's "Do the name Ruby Begonia ring a bell?"

You're showing our age.

All opinions are subjective, thus equally valid. When a performer gets to a certain level, he/she enters a realm of peers. There is no "best", only different specialties. (Of course, that's just my opinion.)

I grew up listening to Hightower, Simpson, Gaff and Chalmus and you can add Dave Lang to that peer group, along with Doug Kenyon and Ray Fallon.

For the record, I wrote a couple of Colt's charts, with solo features for Dave Lang. (Jim M. didn't do all the arranging.) It was wonderful to know there was a cat who could play just about anything emanating from the end of a pencil. Dave was an arranger's dream.

Hi Frank ... I've got to add my dear friend John Donovan, bari virtuoso, from the Bpt PAL into the group you're citing ... his recent lead role in PCP's bari quartet at the BHOF I&E was testimony to his prowress on the I&E circuit in the 60's, ranking among the best with the Gaff's, Richmond's, Chalmus's, Bruen's et al of the time ...

Andy "a product of the 60's I&E's" Lisko

Most underrated bari solo in the history of man(and woman)? 2007 Renegades. Dave Landers opened our show with an incredible display of phrasing, musicality, tone & range! I would put that solo up there with any other, ever! :tongue:

2004 Renegades lead bari line - Joe Wilt, Dave Landers, Greg Gilman, Tony Pon - now there were some horses

2004 DCA I & E bari champ - Dave Landers must be something about the name Dave....pb

Hi Larrie...djk

How 'bout Dave Carico - he played a mean bari solo every now and then

• 3 months later...
1959 Ken Petersen, Geneva Appleknockers, lead in solo to "Basin Street Blues" at Mission Drums. This was a masterpiece of tone and style. Then the soprano duet (I don't know the other player's name) on "Basin Street" with synchronized and harmonized lip trills...how did they do it?!

The other player in the duet was Don "Rips" Phipps who played the French Horn (not a soprano duet) and I agree it was fabulous. I knew Donny since he was a lifelong resident of Shortsville, NY and the Corps director for the Shortsville Shamrocks for several years. Donny was also a soloist on the upright string bass for the Appleknockers during their winter sitdown concerts which were quite innovative for the late 1950's/early 60's. If you listen closely to "Jezebel", it's Donny wailing on the French Horn with his famous rips.

I am also a big fan of Kenny "Ace" Petersen and his innovative solo work. He is absolutely fabulous on "Melancoly Rhapsody" from the movie Young Man with a Horn for the Appleknockers circa 1960/61. It's a compilicated piece for a trumpet but he did it with a one valve/rotary bugle. His solo fanfare to start their off-the-line piece "Strike Up the Band" is also great. Ace is still active today with several corps and is in his early 80's. He is always at the DCA I&E's (started by Dick Pronti - another Shamrock alumni) playing with the 3 tenors, Prime Time Brass, and the Ghost Riders. He also marches with Mighty St. Joe's alumni. I am surprised no one else brought up his name earlier in this topic.

How about Ed Denon... Norman Prince... Bakc in the mid-Sixties... Sweet Georgia Brown...

Actually, it was the late 50's and the solo was played by James "Poo Poo" Murphy on a soprano. Ed Denon played a bari and soloed on "I Can't Give You Anything but Love" which also featured a sop solo. I guess, actually, a duet.

The other player in the duet was Don "Rips" Phipps who played the French Horn (not a soprano duet) and I agree it was fabulous. I knew Donny since he was a lifelong resident of Shortsville, NY and the Corps director for the Shortsville Shamrocks for several years. Donny was also a soloist on the upright string bass for the Appleknockers during their winter sitdown concerts which were quite innovative for the late 1950's/early 60's. If you listen closely to "Jezebel", it's Donny wailing on the French Horn with his famous rips.

I am also a big fan of Kenny "Ace" Petersen and his innovative solo work. He is absolutely fabulous on "Melancoly Rhapsody" from the movie Young Man with a Horn for the Appleknockers circa 1960/61. It's a compilicated piece for a trumpet but he did it with a one valve/rotary bugle. His solo fanfare to start their off-the-line piece "Strike Up the Band" is also great. Ace is still active today with several corps and is in his early 80's. He is always at the DCA I&E's (started by Dick Pronti - another Shamrock alumni) playing with the 3 tenors, Prime Time Brass, and the Ghost Riders. He also marches with Mighty St. Joe's alumni. I am surprised no one else brought up his name earlier in this topic.

Hi Jim,

I was visiting with Ace the other day and he tells me that his partner on the Basin Street duet was fellow soprano player Hardy Carrasas who is better remembered for his work as a drill man with the Appleknockers (junior and senior), Watkins Glen Squires, Auburn Purple Lancers, and St. Joe's of Batavia. Hardy is a retired gym teacher who lives in Geneva and winters in Florida. Yes, Ken still plays a mean horn and is 78 years young this year. I never had the pleasure of meeting Don Phipps, but I am familiar with his french horn work