What bugs you - senior edition

The distance from the field to the crowd in Rochester ... way too far away.
I agree! (Hi Lee!)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The distance from the field to the crowd in Rochester ... way too far away.

What bugs me are the people that try and spin it that its plenty close enough and that the sound is great in the stadium

You wanna know what bugs me?

People who are intolerant of other people's cultures...............and the Dutch.

:tongue:

...Dutch hater .... name the movie

:wall:

What bugs me are the people that try and spin it that its plenty close enough and that the sound is great in the stadium

Be carefull, they could put us back in the 96 stadium...lol. Best seats in the house were the 20's

Edited by Capt Ajax

WOW! I just found something that bugs me more than pitted soloists!

Now the thing that bugs me the most is Staff and/or performers that don't care what their paying audiences think!

The fact that I may not be viewed as a "real drum corps soloist" by some people is irrelevant to me.

Now the thing that bugs me the most is Staff and/or performers that don't care what their paying audiences think!

Easy There, There are tons of horn players that stand in the pit. Larry is the real deal. He teaches and participates. Big deal, It's not that he doesn't care, he just can't get all beat up over people like you who are bugged by soloist who park it in the pit. He is a huge contributer. Thanks Larry! One hell of an instructor by the way.

Oh and what bugs me? The hype. I am not an all weather member, When the lightning shows up I'm out period. My well being is way more important than any show. 2. Hearing that we're soo good because we have this staff or that staff or staff staff staff. You can have all the staff you want, but if you don't have the talent you got nothing!!!! 3. The Rochester stadium, who looked at it and went "hey this is a great field for drum corps"?

Sorry, that was a poor choice of words on my part. Of course I don't feel that way. What I meant to say was that just because some people don't view me as a "real drum corps soloist", doesn't change what I do or how I do it. I've explained my role in the Renegades, like it or not. I'm just doing what I enjoy doing. I love to perform for an audience, and have been lucky enough to do it since I was 14. I also enjoy instructing, and the Renegades give me an opportunity to do both. And on top of that, I get to write all of the solos that I play, which is very gratifying. I can't control how others view me. I just hope that I can do my part by both instructing and performing to entertain the audience. That's the bottom line!

You know what has always bugged me, the way that the preliminary placements are determined. Can you really compare scores from different shows where different groups are competing and then average them out so that it's fair to all? I say that you cannot.

I used to have a boss who would say to me, "don't come to me with a problem, unless you can offer up a solution." That former boss of mine is now in jail for embezzlement, but that's a different story.

I think the best solution would be a mid august regional show. But this is not practical, as DCA now has members from many parts of the country. Therefore, I suggest the prelims placements be done like this:

The defending champion from the previous year gets to go on last. There has to be some benefit to winning, other than a few extra share points and bragging rights.

Then, you take the previous year's 2, 3, 4 and they draw randomly for their slot. The previous year's 5, 6, 7, they draw randomly in their slot. And, the previous year's 8, 9, 10 and they draw randomly for their slot. This essentialy creates three groups of three (aside from the defending champion) that would draw for a random placement in their slot. All of this being based on the previous year's placements. The groups that finished outside of the top ten would all draw randomly in their own group. This would reward the member corps for placing in the top ten.

I know many would say that this negates the reason for having a regular season. And that may be a valid argument. But the truth is, people want to see good drum corps. And when they can't get that, they watch DCA. (I'm kidding. I'm kidding) People will still show up to see regular season events.

I welcome your ideas and criticism.

10. Members not knowing their music ahead of time

9. fffff cymbal rolls

8. Poor teaching

7. Non conducting drum majors

6. Lack of consistency

5. Disorganization

4. Wasted ensemble practice

3. Cursing at the line when kids are present

2. Unmusical, uninspiring rehearsals

and the number one final reason...

1. Not having any fun :tongue:

You know what has always bugged me, the way that the preliminary placements are determined. Can you really compare scores from different shows where different groups are competing and then average them out so that it's fair to all? I say that you cannot.

I used to have a boss who would say to me, "don't come to me with a problem, unless you can offer up a solution." That former boss of mine is now in jail for embezzlement, but that's a different story.

I think the best solution would be a mid august regional show. But this is not practical, as DCA now has members from many parts of the country. Therefore, I suggest the prelims placements be done like this:

The defending champion from the previous year gets to go on last. There has to be some benefit to winning, other than a few extra share points and bragging rights.

Then, you take the previous year's 2, 3, 4 and they draw randomly for their slot. The previous year's 5, 6, 7, they draw randomly in their slot. And, the previous year's 8, 9, 10 and they draw randomly for their slot. This essentialy creates three groups of three (aside from the defending champion) that would draw for a random placement in their slot. All of this being based on the previous year's placements. The groups that finished outside of the top ten would all draw randomly in their own group. This would reward the member corps for placing in the top ten.

I know many would say that this negates the reason for having a regular season. And that may be a valid argument. But the truth is, people want to see good drum corps. And when they can't get that, they watch DCA. (I'm kidding. I'm kidding) People will still show up to see regular season events.

I welcome your ideas and criticism.

Not a criticism but a different thought:

If we are to make the entire season meaningful, we should determine placement in prelims by using the average score of all the shows during the season and not just August. This would ensure that corps really work towards having a complete show in June and not have a "work in progress" that we so often see during the season. I think that would improve quality throughout the season and give sponsors a better vibe that the corps they have in June really have something at stake>

Just my $.02