Memphis Sound Move to TX

Didn't try hard to find one? You obviously weren't there to see what went on. However, if you'd known of such locations when Mempho was begging for information for the past three years, it would have been nice for you to speak up then instead pulling an "I told you so" now.

I WAS there... but when you have an agreement with a college what's the need to search for elsewhere? You'd be surprised who lurks in the background watching and how informed everyone is........

Memphis' organization has always had its own strange situations and problems, but the majority of members never knew about it because they were there to do a job, not run the business of a corps. I'm sure if they learn about the circumstances surrounding this decision without blinders on, they'll at least understand, even if they still disagree.

Again, this is not true. The background runnings in this group have always have a very visible appearance to members.... and you being a fmm should know that.

MYPAA is for the education of OUR area... not Texas... and from a music educator standpoint... that education opportunity just left. This goes so far beyond my feelings as a fmm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, this is not true. The background runnings in this group have always have a very visible appearance to members.... and you being a fmm should know that.

They were very visible to some members, but not all of them. The group of members to whom the organization's operations were visible changed from year to year, but it wasn't always visible to everyone. That's why (at least from what I can tell) there are a lot of alumni that don't know anything about what's happening. That's also why I'm quite appreciative of Chris and the administration. They're being proactive about releasing information to members and alumni.

Edited by Nex

Your intentions were to move the corps to Texas from the beginning...because I can FOR CERTAIN say this,

If you really wanted to make it work in TN, you could find a high school to house at. You sure as hell did NOT try hard to find one. I know some tiny schools that would be more than happy to host camps and such. And as far as members having to travel from Texas, well... How do the big boys ever get members to fly or travel to their location? With the constant turnover in staff until now, why would a member travel so far???? But if consistency was achieved, why wouldn't member travel far?

You talk of reaching out to alumni... I can think of MANY that had no clue any of this was happening until our mass 3 email pre-press releases....and the dozens of angry facebook status updates about how OUR corps is gone...

Elvis has left the building... thanks

Memphis.....just another victim of staff coming in with their own agenda...

Happened in

06, 07 and now

Oh No hold up buddy...I agree the idea of movin to Texas is a stupid idea that is retarted and makes no sense whatsoever....However I marched 07 and I had to hear about that alumni BS all summer....Just because some staff came in...THAT ARE SUCCESRFUL IF YOU HAVEN"T NOTICED....ANDRE FEAGIN-BRAGG CAPTION HEAD AT VANGUARD,SOLOMONSON IS AT PHANTOM,SOME OF OUR DRUM TECHS AT CROSSMEN.....JUst because we came in and tried something new in 07 and WON A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP a lot of you vets got pissy and pouted about it because we didnt play the old jazz bull that got us nowhere...ITS been 2 years just GET OVER IT...Thats not to all the alumni some were fine with it and backed us up...thanks for you who did......ANYWAYS This move to Texas makes no sense though because NEWS FLASH!! You arent going to be the only corp in texas...In case no one has noticed most the marchers at any corps is from a big state like texas.Memphis had a good thing going here as far as recruiting tennessee marchers......

Believe it or not...the number of Tennessee members were far below the number of members from Texas, Oklahome, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

There was no support in the Memphis area....neither monetarily or from a facilities standpoint. I am talking to you first hand. I tried many places who would say....sure....then the administration would step in and say absolutely not unless they want to pay the rental fee of over $150.00 per hour!

The alumni are an important part of this organization and we rely on them to help us keep the traditions alive. We are asking that you trust the decision to move and to back the corps as we go through this transitionary period. The move to Dallas was not a move to TEXAS per say...but a move to a central location for all of the members coming from Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, etc.

The Dallas / Fort Worth area offers inexpensive flights to either Love Field or DFW Airport. We are also within 7 hours driving distance of most of those states. We are already seeing great support from the Texas band community. Which as you know...has a tendency to not be too drum corps friendly. But, with a staff that comes from such programs as Coppell, Duncanville, Lake Highlands, Katy, Sugarland Clements, etc...the band directors know that their students will receive a quality education and experience.

As you said...when the change in 07 was made...many did not back you....well this is just another type of change...and what we are looking for is the support of the drum corps community to keep Memphis Sound alive as we watch other Open Class corps fold on a monthly basis. I would hope that you as an alumni of the 07 year, would be one of the most understanding of change.

This year we have a high rate of vets due to a staff that truly cares about the members and organization. This is a staff that returns to make sure that the values and traditions of Memphis Sound carry on whether we come out of Memphis or Dallas.

Stand behind us now and say that you supported us from the beginning. Don't be one of those who jumps on the band wagon when the corps becomes successful and say "I'm a vet." My challenge is to all of you who are veterans of this great organization...be there for us now. The corps was there for you when you needed it...now be there for your corps. Whether you can support us with finances, volunteer time, food truck items, or just in your word. Stand by us now as an alum and former member of Memphis Sound.

James Thomas

Program Coordinator 08, 09

Edited by Jtdallas

That's the next press release coming. We are actually holding a contest for the new name of the corps, which will officially change at the close of the season. We will be announcing the new name in April

Good luck to you. Looking forward to seeing the corps on the field.

Nancy

Believe it or not...the number of Tennessee members were far below the number of members from Texas, Oklahome, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

There was no support in the Memphis area....neither monetarily or from a facilities standpoint. I am talking to you first hand. I tried many places who would say....sure....then the administration would step in and say absolutely not unless they want to pay the rental fee of over $150.00 per hour!

The alumni are an important part of this organization and we rely on them to help us keep the traditions alive. We are asking that you trust the decision to move and to back the corps as we go through this transitionary period. The move to Dallas was not a move to TEXAS per say...but a move to a central location for all of the members coming from Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, etc.

The Dallas / Fort Worth area offers inexpensive flights to either Love Field or DFW Airport. We are also within 7 hours driving distance of most of those states. We are already seeing great support from the Texas band community. Which as you know...has a tendency to not be too drum corps friendly. But, with a staff that comes from such programs as Coppell, Duncanville, Lake Highlands, Katy, Sugarland Clements, etc...the band directors know that their students will receive a quality education and experience.

As you said...when the change in 07 was made...many did not back you....well this is just another type of change...and what we are looking for is the support of the drum corps community to keep Memphis Sound alive as we watch other Open Class corps fold on a monthly basis. I would hope that you as an alumni of the 07 year, would be one of the most understanding of change.

This year we have a high rate of vets due to a staff that truly cares about the members and organization. This is a staff that returns to make sure that the values and traditions of Memphis Sound carry on whether we come out of Memphis or Dallas.

Stand behind us now and say that you supported us from the beginning. Don't be one of those who jumps on the band wagon when the corps becomes successful and say "I'm a vet." My challenge is to all of you who are veterans of this great organization...be there for us now. The corps was there for you when you needed it...now be there for your corps. Whether you can support us with finances, volunteer time, food truck items, or just in your word. Stand by us now as an alum and former member of Memphis Sound.

James Thomas

Program Coordinator 08, 09

I should not be posting this as per my corps rules, but I would like to just let something off my chest. (please think of this as my voice is calm, cool, and collective...)

I marched Revolution from 2005-2008. 2005 was a rebuilding year from an inactive season. Several people constantly said we couldn't come back out. Also, several schools (mainly directors) were mad at Revolution for folding late in season causing some members to stay at home in the summer. I even had the chance to talk to several alumni, who said it will not be the same Revolution, and they were right.....

BUT

Over the four years that I marched, I noticed every year was different. 2005, rebuild obviously... 2006, a tight race for div III title.... 2007, another rebuild year in other ways ... and 2008, working out all the kinks. Some things work, others don't... with Memphis Sound and Revolution being such young organizations, mistakes will be made, but we learn from them, and become stronger. To those protesting this, you have the right to, welcome to America.... but I do have amazing respect for one alumni (Justin Soliz - Revolution 2002-2003, SCV 2004, BD 2005-2006) who told me something along the lines of "it is kids like you who make me proud I marched Revolution."

I marched under 4 different visual caption heads, 4 different brass caption heads, 2 different percussion caption heads, 3 different color guard caption heads, and 3 different directors. (remember I only marched 4 years.) Each had their ups and downs, some couldn't return do to work/family/personal. But just like your music and drill in a show, change is inevitable.

My corps songs means more to me with the 2006 family than any other year. My dog tags mean more to me from 2008 than other years. I hope that some of you read this and realize this is going to happen, and if you truly care about your corps, you will support your staff, BoD, and rookies. As Jaime Martinez (my tour manager of 05 and 06 said "Don't ask, just do."

Thank you.

Edited by tubajake

Oh No hold up buddy...I agree the idea of movin to Texas is a stupid idea that is retarted and makes no sense whatsoever....However I marched 07 and I had to hear about that alumni BS all summer....Just because some staff came in...THAT ARE SUCCESRFUL IF YOU HAVEN"T NOTICED....ANDRE FEAGIN-BRAGG CAPTION HEAD AT VANGUARD,SOLOMONSON IS AT PHANTOM,SOME OF OUR DRUM TECHS AT CROSSMEN.....JUst because we came in and tried something new in 07 and WON A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP a lot of you vets got pissy and pouted about it because we didnt play the old jazz bull that got us nowhere...ITS been 2 years just GET OVER IT...Thats not to all the alumni some were fine with it and backed us up...thanks for you who did......ANYWAYS This move to Texas makes no sense though because NEWS FLASH!! You arent going to be the only corp in texas...In case no one has noticed most the marchers at any corps is from a big state like texas.Memphis had a good thing going here as far as recruiting tennessee marchers......

Notice, I did NOT say anything about staff not being successful... you can have a great season and talent and staff still have an agenda. Andre's was to change the name of the corps to X corps and go with that. FACT!!!

I see this happening all again...

As far as that jazz bull, if it's designed well (cough BD cough) you can win with it... not saying I was upset the programming changed. I'm just pointing out your flawed logic.

as a former marching member and age out of Memphis Sound, i will fully support my corps, no matter what form/name/state it is in.

as for some of the back and forth between current/former members or associates of the corps, i have to say it is discouraging to see family business being aired for everyone on this forum. it can be completely counter productive for someone to be "introduced" to our family in this manor.

if there are issues on subject...maybe keep it to a PM or an email...