2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

Yes, the 3rd valve was phased in starting with 1990, if I remember correctly hornlines were allowed to add only one new 3valve voice at a time per year I assume so that corps with less money that couldn't afford a complete switch in one year wouldn't suffer a competitive disadvantage. In BD the first 3v voice added was the sop line in 1990.

sorry for getting off topic.........pianos are the devil OK? LOL

Yes you could add a voice each year, but you could add the contra voice at any time so corps would be able to have a full 3 valve hornline in 3 or 4 years depending on whether they added the contras at the same time as one of the other voices. Also, the contras were allowed to be 4 valve instruments if the corps chose to go that direction.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....Sorry for the rant, but I'm frustrated reading the responces to this thread. if this is the "wave of the future" I guess I'll check out DCA as that circuit seems to be growing pretty quickly.

You'll enjoy.

Guest xsabers
Holy Crap! ($1 to Peter Boyle ~RIP) What's gonna happen when people see the synth in the Troopers pit this summer?

Or, so I've heard.

Rumor or reliable source? I'm thinking the former...

I'm much more concerned with any corps who mics a brass soloist or ensemble. It's very rare (including my experience at a Blast concert) where miced brass sound good. Add to that having a miced solo/ensemble mixed with the accoustic horn line and I can't imagine it will sound good.

I think a small amount of electic keyboards blended into the pit will work better. At least until a corps way overdoes the electronics and they take away from instead of enhance the overall music ensemble.

Edited by shawn craig

I'm much more concerned with any corps who mics a brass soloist or ensemble. It's very rare (including my experience at a Blast concert) where miced brass sound good. Add to that having a miced solo/ensemble mixed with the accoustic horn line and I can't imagine it will sound good.

Thank you! I feel the same way. I felt that rule change was the most pointless.

So does this mean the piano guy (or gal) just gets to stay put in front of a piano while the rest of the pit is running back and forth to play one various percussion toy or another?

Will there be a weight or size restriction as to the appearance of the piano player?

(Are there any weight/size restrictions at all in SCV's modern member selection process aside from physically being able to do their individual job on the field?)