2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

ah yes Mike. to you if you dislike any change, you dislike all change.

it was an accoustic activity. they changed it claiming "creative brainlock"

my guess is we needed new creators.

Bob Dylan plugged in.

Miles Davis plugged in.

New creators?

please

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah yes Mike. to you if you dislike any change, you dislike all change.

The example given, brass bands, is an example of a ensemble type that has remained pretty static over time. Drum corps has never remained static, so why should it now?

it was an accoustic activity. they changed it claiming "creative brainlock"

So what? Acoustic or amplified is a distinction without a difference. To say "that is terrible" because it is amplified, or merely because that something is played on a piano is, IMO, silly.

Since you are quoting...who said "creative brainblock" as part of the new rule justifications?

Bob Dylan plugged in.

Miles Davis plugged in.

New creators?

please

New creative minds sounds like a good idea to me . . .after all, isn't that the great hope of all these rule changes: more creativity?

Oh, wait . . .it means more "creativity" for those designers already entrenched in the activity to be able to support themselves with their summer gig.

Fat chance any new creative faces come from any of this, or any of the changes in the future.

Thus, we stagnate anyway; no matter how many guitars, oboes or violas go out there. (Look, it's West Side Story again . . .but with SYNTHS!!!!!onE!!!!ELEVENTY!)

Funny how we never look at some of the people . . . only the tools.

The example given, brass bands, is an example of a ensemble type that has remained pretty static over time. Drum corps has never remained static, so why should it now?

Because if drum corps becomes band, there will be nothing left to change....and then, it will be static.

Bob Dylan plugged in.

Miles Davis plugged in.

New creators?

please

they did drum corps? when?

So what? Acoustic or amplified is a distinction without a difference. To say "that is terrible" because it is amplified, or merely because that something is played on a piano is, IMO, silly.

Since you are quoting...who said "creative brainblock" as part of the new rule justifications?

uh Hop. paraphrasing, but he said it was a lack of ideas that led to this being pushed along with his other ever changing justifications.

and hey...brass bands seem to be doing just fine not changing things.

sometimes change is not always good

New creative minds sounds like a good idea to me . . .after all, isn't that the great hope of all these rule changes: more creativity?

Oh, wait . . .it means more "creativity" for those designers already entrenched in the activity to be able to support themselves with their summer gig.

Fat chance any new creative faces come from any of this, or any of the changes in the future.

Thus, we stagnate anyway; no matter how many guitars, oboes or violas go out there. (Look, it's West Side Story again . . .but with SYNTHS!!!!!onE!!!!ELEVENTY!)

Funny how we never look at some of the people . . . only the tools.

i've been saying about the people from day one. but because some are "names' they get a pass

Because if drum corps becomes band, there will be nothing left to change....and then, it will be static.

Wait, wait . . .you mean you don't want banjos out there for the 2015 production of

Salut: Hee Haw & Boscha's Romanticism!

Un Petit String Reflexions pour Buck et Roy

I. Pickin'

II. Grinnin'

III. Ode pour Kounty D'Kornfield

For shame, my friend . . .for shame.

uh Hop. paraphrasing, but he said it was a lack of ideas that led to this being pushed along with his other ever changing justifications.

He said that, or he said adding the things would expand the possibilities? I don't recall.

and hey...brass bands seem to be doing just fine not changing things.

OK, and that measn what? Drum corps did not go that route decades ago.

sometimes change is not always good

And sometimes, as in the case of permitting amps and electronics, it is!

say i'm a college age music major with immense talent on the piano. i have loads of options for the summer. Would I want to further my music 'education' by PAYING to be a member of a musical group.

Would I join an 'elite marching band' type 'drum corps' to learn and play a limited amount of music? Or would I join another type of ensemble which plays a vast range of demanding peices?

surely the performers with the skills comparable with the talent in hornlines and battery have other options? ...

No offense, but you're projecting. And in doing so, you're not necessarily crediting the individual and the activity enough. Capital Regiment found two young ladies willing to drag a giant sundial around the field. Is it really so difficult to imagine that a pianist or some other keyboard player might enjoy a drum corps summer just the same as every other member of the pit or even the corps entire? Not to me.

HH