Tour Horror Stories

Going from Denton, Texas to Van Buren(sp?), Arkansas was a terrible night... Some people decided to throw heavy objects at passing cars from an overpass. My bus was hit with something like a brick in the windshield. It hit right at the top of the windshield, so it didn't go through, but it did cause an explosion of shards of glass and confused the hell out of me, because I was half-asleep and couldn't really grasp what had happened until I woke up on the floor with glass all over me when we had pulled over. The indention in the windshield was quite profound...

If the object was thrown half a second earlier it would have gone through the windshield and probably would have killed the driver, me or any of the other people in the front of the bus at the time.

Scary stuff.

wtf.

I hope the police got those people... but probably not :thumbup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going from Denton, Texas to Van Buren(sp?), Arkansas was a terrible night... Some people decided to throw heavy objects at passing cars from an overpass. My bus was hit with something like a brick in the windshield. It hit right at the top of the windshield, so it didn't go through, but it did cause an explosion of shards of glass and confused the hell out of me, because I was half-asleep and couldn't really grasp what had happened until I woke up on the floor with glass all over me when we had pulled over. The indention in the windshield was quite profound...

If the object was thrown half a second earlier it would have gone through the windshield and probably would have killed the driver, me or any of the other people in the front of the bus at the time.

Scary stuff.

That reminds me, deer bouncing off of the front of the bus in the wee hours of the morning.

another horror story would be, as mentioned here on DCP before, when you get back to your buses or gym and find that someone has gotten in and taken all kinds of things. This happened with Madison when I was in, and really the only things taken for the most part were several of the guys corps jackets... could have been worse.

But I recall someone here last summer talking about the gym they stayed in being raked over by some locals... :thumbup:

I don't think there's a corps out there that hasn't been ripped off. But some kids don't help themselves. We once had some dopes who decided to take a break. They left their cymbals in an alleyway somehow expecting them to be there when they got back. I didn't mind too much because they were cheap and sounded quite crappy. We still made the kids march the show empty handed until the new plates got in.

In 2004, I was on the drum bus. We had 4 busses, the 104, 105, 106, and 800. We only took three busses on tour. The drum bus had been the 104, but instead of using that, we took the 106. No one thought the 104 would make it. Before we left for tour, the 800 broke down. This was the horn bus, so they took the 104. Fastforward to late July.

We were rehearsing somewhere in Berryville, VA and our next show was in Hilton Head, SC. This trip shouldn't have taken too long. Well, a couple of popped tires on the 106 later, it seemed to be taking forever. We left almost all of our stuff on the bus as we loaded onto the 104 and 105 (staff bus). We got to the show in SC about an hour or so before we were supposed to go on, if I recall correctly, which I may not. We quickly warmed up, performed, proceeded to not be able to breathe because the air was so thick, and then won the show. It was probably our 2nd worst show of the year, and somehow, the only show we ever beat the Spartans.

We eventually got our stuff from the 106 back, I believe in the fall. We never actually saw the 106 again.

We had a housing site with a bunch of dead and near-death bats... one of which was writhing on the ground about 10 feet from where I wound up sleeping... not the best night. :)

We also went through the food poisoning thing... but the brass didn't get it because they were doing laundry that block and ate at restaurants.