Tour Horror Stories

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiny, scrappy Houston Nighthawks had our equipment stolen sometime after tour started in 1984. We did a few shows with borrowed equipment from Spirit, SCV, and Suncoast. (and I think maybe Blue Devils as well, maybe others that I don't recall or even know about.) We folded after our home show in July.

Doubt it was BD...I don't think we ever saw you...and I don't remember ever being asked to loan gear out...bummer for you guys, tho.

How about when the whole corps gets sick from some "bug" that someone picks up here or there. A week into tour you've got 15 members out of commission... sick on their sleeping bags with no energy, other members exposed and yet to get what ever it is.

Used to happen to BD when they pulled into Utah for some reason....the "Blue Flu."

Fortunately, I missed getting it, but one of our long-term guys finally got nailed in his age out year!

Didn't something happen with Regiment on finals night in 2002? I thought I heard food poisoning or something.

That show has one of my favorite singular moments in drum corps.

:thumbup: Except the unis.

Didn't something happen with Regiment on finals night in 2002? I thought I heard food poisoning or something.

That show has one of my favorite singular moments in drum corps.

:thumbup: Except the unis.

Oh yes, the chicken salad disaster. It actually started on quarterfinals night. We didn't bring the food truck to the quarterfinals show because there wasn't time for a whole meal before the age out ceremony started. Instead there was tuna and chicken salad to make sandwiches with. I was one of the lucky ones who chose the tuna. From what I was told at about 2 in the morning the halls of our school were filled with distressed Regiment members searching for the nearest bathroom. What we found out later was that the chicken salad batch we had was recalled but of course being on the road nobody knew about it.

Semifinals day was when it seemed to really hit. We didn't run a single section of the show all day where at least three people weren't in the bathroom. People constantly running off and on the field all day. It was a little hike from our main rehearsal field to the bathrooms in the school so Pat ended up getting porta potties rented. Finals night we had people throwing up all through warmups but everyone was in the show. And of course many people probably remember seeing Regiment kids going down at retreat. People were just passing out and falling over right on the field!

The good thing was that all of our meals after thursday were really good like burgers and food that could be cooked well done. It was definitely an odd way to end the season, the vibe after our last show was definitely down as so many people were completely sapped.

Not really something I would describe as a 'horror story'. Were were definitely well taken care of by the corps staff through the whole ordeal.

one time we ran out of hand sanitizer for a few days and a bug spread across the corps that was so bad that two people crapped their pants on the bus. the only time ive ever seen an immediate rest stop. also they had a health inspector inspect the food truck but it was just our own disgusting hands that got everyone sick.

Oh yes, the chicken salad disaster. It actually started on quarterfinals night. We didn't bring the food truck to the quarterfinals show because there wasn't time for a whole meal before the age out ceremony started. Instead there was tuna and chicken salad to make sandwiches with. I was one of the lucky ones who chose the tuna. From what I was told at about 2 in the morning the halls of our school were filled with distressed Regiment members searching for the nearest bathroom. What we found out later was that the chicken salad batch we had was recalled but of course being on the road nobody knew about it.

Semifinals day was when it seemed to really hit. We didn't run a single section of the show all day where at least three people weren't in the bathroom. People constantly running off and on the field all day. It was a little hike from our main rehearsal field to the bathrooms in the school so Pat ended up getting porta potties rented. Finals night we had people throwing up all through warmups but everyone was in the show. And of course many people probably remember seeing Regiment kids going down at retreat. People were just passing out and falling over right on the field!

The good thing was that all of our meals after thursday were really good like burgers and food that could be cooked well done. It was definitely an odd way to end the season, the vibe after our last show was definitely down as so many people were completely sapped.

Not really something I would describe as a 'horror story'. Were were definitely well taken care of by the corps staff through the whole ordeal.

What is it with PR and food poisoning??? They got hit with tainted water in 86...it even made Stars and Stripes -- the US military newspaper-- when I was overseas!

It wasn't a marching member... it was a staff member.

I came on the staff that summer for a couple weeks to help out. This tragic event happened on my very first day there.

this one time, my corps got beat by a corps we thought we were better than. Then it happened again the next night. Then again. Let me tell you, it was pretty awful. Has anyone else experienced this??

Oh yeah. If you've ever been on staff you've lived, breathed and s### for your corps. Today the rivalry is kind of funny but EK could never seem to get past Florida Wave, the Bandettes, and of course Pioneer. In fact I find it hard to remember who we actually did beat- Ha!

Hey thanks for the chicken salad story. It was legend around the midwest but it's good to hear it from someone who was there. I would have gone for the chicken!!! And renting porta potties, that must have been a monumental crap/chuck fest, and everyone stepped off? Man, that took sommat.

There was a volunteer who put thousands of hours in. So much so, every time food got served, his whole family of six showed up. He wasn't the most hygienic of folks, in fact the word shower was probably a four letter word to him. One of the chores he loved to do was make the kool-aid. His fondest way of mixing up the cooler was to plunge his whole arm in, including his pit, and give it a bit of a swirl. Whatever color his arm was, you didn't drink. By the end of the year other staff would RUN and say no, no, why don't you let me?

There was always a couple of guys you had to drag into the shower. Were there women like that?

Going from Denton, Texas to Van Buren(sp?), Arkansas was a terrible night... Some people decided to throw heavy objects at passing cars from an overpass. My bus was hit with something like a brick in the windshield. It hit right at the top of the windshield, so it didn't go through, but it did cause an explosion of shards of glass and confused the hell out of me, because I was half-asleep and couldn't really grasp what had happened until I woke up on the floor with glass all over me when we had pulled over. The indention in the windshield was quite profound...

If the object was thrown half a second earlier it would have gone through the windshield and probably would have killed the driver, me or any of the other people in the front of the bus at the time.

Scary stuff.