I love DCI (Drum Corps International) in the 2000s

DCI Pass is a terrific concept on the part of DCI.

It's a breath of fresh air when the Corps that wins DCI, is also the fan's favorite for that year. It is rare indeed that the fan's favorite also wins the Championship. Phantom Regiment last year with it's readily accessible theme and pleasing music was indeed that Corps.

It's good to see a once great DCI Corps from a previous era come back strong as the Blue Stars did last season.

Any post show concert played by Carolina Crown is a treat not to be missed.

The Cavaliers Reunion Corps performance was a treat at Finals, and the response the fans gave the Color Presentation portion of the Cavs performance was certainly an eye opener and very memorable, and good to see.

It was good to see the reaction of the crowd at Finals to the announcement that the Blue Devils were in second place . It demonstrates that surprise placement can indeed take place at the top during Finals week competition.

the fact that DCI through Corps sites is providing video history performances of the Finals Week I &E Competitions was a good thing. Some of the talent on display in these Individual and small ensembles competitions was truly outstanding and highly entertaining..

It was a good service that the Blue Devils Corps site provided with their real time commentary at the DCI Finals on all 12 Corps for fans who could not be present for one reason or another at Finals. It was even more positive to witness the class demonstrated by whomever was providing the commentary there as that Blue Devils commentator was more than complimentary to the eventual champion, Phantom Regiment. The commentary and congratulatory tone was done under what had to have been a disappointing moment for that Blue Devils commentator. It did not go unnoticed by this poster what they said, and it showed real class under disappointing circumstances, I thought.

There are many good things going on. And this thread is needed every bit as much as those threads that provide a forum for those to discuss those things that are not to their liking about some aspects of the activity.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overall quality level of today's DCI corps is outstanding.

Tha past few years, I've seen some corps that didn't make World Class finals that easily would have been finalists not too long ago.

Fran

I'd even go so far to say that there have probably been corps that don't make finals now that probably would even have made the top 5 back when I marched.......at least in the late 80's

I love meeting fans, friends, alumni, and volunteers of corps that haven't broken out of the bottom 5 or so in years (if ever,) who are every bit as fanatically devoted to their corps then supporters of the top corps. (If not sometimes more so!)

Despite the many criticisms of today's shows (including my own from time to time), I feel there has been a resurgence of melodic content and exceptional harmonic support in design recently.

I like that most corps eat better, sleep better and work smarter than we did 20 years ago.

I am glad that there seems to be more care and interest regarding the health and fitness of members. (I do think there is more to do in this regard, but that's not a negative. Considering what some of these kids are doing on the field I think it's time to make absolutely certain that visual design and demand is supported with appropriate kinesthesiology, training and injury management.)

Like others, I like that the overall quality of drum corps has greatly improved.

I'd even go so far to say that there have probably been corps that don't make finals now that probably would even have made the top 5 back when I marched.......at least in the late 80's

I agree. I love the "old stuff" (showing my age here....LOL) .... but today's corps are at an entirely different level, from a quality standpoint.

Fran

I love watching my son practice, perform, ride the bus, eat sitting on a curb, etc., etc. All the things that his Mom, his Uncle, his Aunt, and I did growing up. I also love the fact that he'll (hopefully) get to do this for nine years just like his Mom did (kind of sorry I couldn't get him started earlier).

I love driving the airport van runs at camps and seeing the pumped up members on the way to camp, and the sleeping members on the way back to the airport.

I love driving all night, seeing the corps caravan stretched out in front of me, knowing that we will get everyone safely to the next stop.

I love the tears on the faces of all of the members, staff, management, and volunteers at the end of each season, because it means that drum corps has done its job again: it has made them all a family.

Edited by kansasDC

I love the enhanced coordination between all of the aspects of design, and the creativity displayed in bringing a theme or story to the field. I also like the variety of the productions, from "in your face" to subtle, from classical to jazz to pop and everywhere in between.

I love the intensity, athleticism, and virtuosity being asked of the corps members. I love that the talent of the members involved continues to increase seemingly every year, and how the depth of the talent is working its way down the standings. I'll echo what people are saying about non-finalists now compared to even 10-15 years ago.

I love the passion, debate (for the most part), sense of tradition, and innovation brought to fold by having people from many eras invested in the activity. I like that things continue to evolve and progress, while being tempered by the historical roots. I know some people are vocal about wanting to see less evolution, and I'm sure some want to see more... but for me, it's a "just right" scenario. The activity remains relevant without disregarding why it became relevant in the first place.

I love that the effect made on me in high school by shows in the 90s is the same effect made on high school kids now by shows of this decade. I love being a drum corps evangelist, and I like that it brings a sense of legitimacy and prestige to a performance genre that has a rap for being nerdy, dated, or unworthy of praise by much of the mainstream. I've literally never shown a video to someone who hasn't seen drum corps before and had them go "That's stupid." I might not convert them into a lifelong fan, but it's always easy for them to see why we spend so much time and energy on this activity.

I love that the effect made on me in high school by shows in the 90s is the same effect made on high school kids now by shows of this decade. I love being a drum corps evangelist, and I like that it brings a sense of legitimacy and prestige to a performance genre that has a rap for being nerdy, dated, or unworthy of praise by much of the mainstream. I've literally never shown a video to someone who hasn't seen drum corps before and had them go "That's stupid." I might not convert them into a lifelong fan, but it's always easy for them to see why we spend so much time and energy on this activity.

I was one of those who was affected by today's drum corps. I just went wow. I even march now... and I still go wow. I watch my show... and I don't know how I did it... I watch shows better than mine, and I have no clue how they do it. The activity still has that wow factor to people who have never seen it. Especially to kids who are younger, and in high school.

I certainly don't agree with everything goin on in the activity, I have plenty of negative to say, but this is an activity I truly do love. Mainly because of it affect on me. As someone who marched, it has changed my life forever. People who are around the activity every year, seem to always forget about what is going on down on the field. And behind the scenes. The fun, the family, the rough times, the good times.... THE FAMILY. When I got on that shuttle to the airport in august.. I couldn't help but think about the family. It didn't matter what the results were. who beat who on finals night, what corps had narration. It was all about the family.

Family is probably the biggest reason why I love drum corps. Anyone can join the family, and no one will ever want you to leave.

Of course there are tons of other reasons... but I'll once again save them for later