Has jazz left DCI?

By the way, this is what I consider to be the "ultimate musical goal" in drum corps, captured as the Madison Scouts reach the final company front in "Ice Castles" from the 1982 show:

2350884491_ba4606f0ce_o.png

Some questions to ask: what was it about the music that caused such an emotional effect? How is this music different from the musical programs we hear today? What are the backgrounds of these people: long time fans, or maybe seeing their first show?

There's no reason why the same goal can't be achieved with today's corps.

You bring up a GREAT point! It can be a GREAT effect to play long melodic lines and generate effect through that vein, the problem is that it hold a great deal of "Exposure to error", meaning its hard to sound great, sustain, make a musical line, play in tune, perfectly balanced and carry that emotional energy forward. Corps seem to be unwilling (for the most part) to put themselves out there with regard to longer melodic moments. Its sad really.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that longer melodic phrases also are somewhat more difficult to write modern visual programs to.

I always hear this argument, and I want to believe it, but then I'm instantly reminded of shows like Star 1990 and Crossmen 1992 which had beautifully written musical programs and drill that's just as complex as what you see today.

You don't get the soloists today that were around 20 years ago and there around, that's for sure.

You've got that right for sure! See Frank Dorrities's newest editorial about soloists from BITD.

For me, it's not that jazz has left DCI, but that for what appears to be the majority of performances, melody has left in recent years. Or melody for more than a few seconds, I should say. I used to love listening to the Blue Devils and Cavaliers on my CD player and iPod. Now I barely listen to more recent shows because the music doesn't go anywhere for me. So I'm not worried about the lack of jazz - I'm worried about the lack of a sustained musical thought that takes me somewhere emotionally. For me, that's what makes a show memorable.

Yep. A show should take you on a journey.

I think most people are thinking of big band shows when they think of jazz, while others are thinking of more symphonic jazz. Both are jazz, but neither are even close to the entirety of jazz music, and there's a lot out there that could be tapped beyond Maynardized big band charts and Gershwinized wind ensemble literature.

And anything Chuck Mangione has created is in no way to be thought of as Jazz. Really.

Puppet

Keep in mind that longer melodic phrases also are somewhat more difficult to write modern visual programs to.

I don't mean this in a harsh way but....maybe we need some better designers. Maybe their creative juices are not flowing well. Or better yet....maybe the visual element of the activity is carrying to much weight. Just watch the 2005 espn segment featuring the Cavaliers design team and their approach to designing a show. A quote from the segment (We need more counts of music to develop a visual idea) To me....drum corps = music first...

The lack of melody, moderation in musical choices (ie little to no jazz) and lack of lighter music/concepts has led a huge number of fans to stop attending dci shows. It's hard to put a number on it...but after many years of discussion with folks.....I know of at least one hundred people who don't follow the activity because of the music that is presented.

I always hear this argument, and I want to believe it, but then I'm instantly reminded of shows like Star 1990 and Crossmen 1992 which had beautifully written musical programs and drill that's just as complex as what you see today.

Thanks for the compliment, but marching has evolved eons beyond the early 90s. We could never have marched in 92 what people march today.

But I will say that I would rather see less complex drill and hear longer melody lines.

Thanks for the compliment, but marching has evolved eons beyond the early 90s. We could never have marched in 92 what people march today.

But I will say that I would rather see less complex drill and hear longer melody lines.

I'm not sure...I don't think I saw any drill at finals last year that was more effective than the end of the '92 percussion feature.