Best Rehearsal Shoe

New Balance, hands down. Of all the shoes I used when I marched juniors, they had and have the best durability and support.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another new balance person here. though, I highly recommend custom orthodics. they can be expensive, but some insurance companies will cover them in full or partial. I marched my 1st year w/none and my 2nd year had my custom ones done and have never looked back. they are so very worth it.

One of the folks who is part of the Cavalier Medical Group is a sports-oriented podiatrist who is also an alumnus. He very strongly advises the members to get cross-trainers (preferentially New Balance), and then suggests specific Spenco inserts based on his examination of their feet. Every Cavalier gets examined by him sooner or later.

As an orthopaedic surgeon, I'd like to second the advice given a few posts ago: If the shoes don't feel good in the store, they will NEVER feel good. Other advice: buy shoes late in the day. Everyone's feet swell a bit when you're up and around, and a good fit in the morning might not be so good after 8 or 10 hours. Also, always wear the same socks you're going to wear with the shoes when you try them on. This is particularly important for women, some of whom buy shoes while wearing "footies", then wonder why the shoe is too tight when they put on a regular sock.

Fred H. Olin, M.D.

San Antonio

Interesting thread.

In my time we favored, Converse high tops, Pro Keds or Adidis (we called them sneakers) for the guys and practically every girl in the guard wore those little white sneakers with the blue sticker on the back - forget what they're called. Of course this was well before the current days of health enlightenment.

Puppet

Under Armour cross trainer. Has everything you mentioned. They will definately keep your feet cool and free of any moisture which is very important during those dreadful end of July "suicide" camps...If they still call them that :)

When you shop for shoes, research expected mileage. You get much more bang for your buck if you invest in a shoe made for high mileage running than something more pedestrian.