Best Rehearsal Shoe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under Armour cross trainer. They will not disappoint you. The best money on shoes you will ever spend.

New Balance MX1009's = Great Crosstrainer

You can find on the web anywhere from 65 to 100 bucks. Or go to a New Balance store and get fitted.

If you really want to experience heaven in July, also pick up a pair of new balance sport inserts or spenco inserts and hide them in your bag till 1st or 2nd week of July, put them in and the last 20 days of tour will be no problem.

alternating two different shoes every so often will help to prevent overuse of the smaller muscles in the leg.

I have been using a pair of adidas response cushion 16s and have had no problems with them. I recently bought some asic gel-nimbus 10s for this coming season.

But to aid in preventing foot problems, I highly recommend going to a shoe specialty store and getting your gait analyzed. There are specific shoes developed for different kinds of strides, it is vital that the foot is properly supported in the right places otherwise pain is likely to follow.

The staff at the store will ask various questions, examine your stride, and provide several different shoes and maybe even orthodics. This may total up to be more then what you typically spend on shoes, but I highly recommend not cutting corners with shoes. I've had friends that found all their leg/back pains from marching/running completely alievated by proper shoe choice.

Personally, I've never had a problem with running shoes. But I do know people who use trail running shoes, performance shoes, and cross-trainers with no ill-effects. As long as the shoe properly supports your foot and it feels comfortable go ahead and use it.

Also, be sure to break in the shoes before all-days. Do a good deal of marching, walking, and running in them about ten miles is usually enough. You may find the shoes have hot spots on your feet, give you discomfort, or don't fit your feet well. Then you can always return them and get something else instead of trying to bear through the whole season with ill-fitting shoes.

good luck on your shoe shopping expedition :)

edit: Nike Free is specifically designed to be a training shoe. It's built to strengthen leg muscles. For runners, this shoe is used for only short periods of time to prevent injury from it's extreme flexibility. I would also not recommend using these shoes for marching, I personally found them much too uncomfortable but it may be different for you.

Also, unless you want to march all day in loafers, I don't think you will find anything that resembles a marching shoe. I wouldn't worry about it very much. The key things to worry about when shoe shopping are proper fit and support. It is vital that you know if your feet pronate when you move, that way you can find the proper shoe to correct it. This is why I highly recommend getting your gait analyzed if it hasn't already been done.

Edited by kaplac

I know im just a high school kid but i wear mizunos which are running shoes, the ones i wear have holes in the sides from the mesh but are extremely comfy, i ran an entire cross country season in them and i marched another in them as well and by the looks of it i will get another season out of em as well

Adding to the New Balance vote.

*edit*

Though, I would love to try some ASICS.

Edited by PhantomRPhan

I went through a lot of new balance shoes as an active kid. Good value. What you don't want is some cheap plastic like soled shoe. You'll spend most of your season slipping on wet grass. You also want a second pair of shoes. Just in case, and it gives you something dry to wear on the bus rides.

In the all age circles, I like to rehearse in boots. Military grade. They're heavier than your show shoes, so when you're doing the shows, it's a cakewalk. And they last forever. Baring that I like rehearsing in a second pair of show shoes, nothing simulates the real thing, like the real thing. Along with sweats and long sleeved shirts so come show time, it's same old same old, if not a tad cooler / lighter / easier. Not that I'd ever want to tour DCI that way. But I suppose I could if I had to.

New Balance are definately a great shoe. Rather that just saying New Balance, I will go further to reccomend specific models.

621's are fantastic. $40-$50

mens_new_balance_621_cross_training_shoes_mx621wn_p3199.jpg

The only drawback is they are a full leather upper so in the hot weather areas, they can get rather warm. Get them in white and that will help.

558's another good shoe $50-$70

new_balance_mw558_mens_color_white_leather__p1_.jpg

Also full leather uppers but they do have the New Balance "ABZORB® heel cushioning".

1003's $60-$90

New-Balance-CT-1003-Men-111413.jpg

This one has a mesh upper but still gives great support. I like the pivot spot like many marching shoes.

The soles on all of these have a slightly rolled heel and toe and allow freedom of foot movement and pivoting while still having enough traction to keep you from slipping on a damp field. The first two are cross trainers and the last one is designed for tennis. All of them provide great support and are available in both men's and women's styles as well as a large selection of widths to help custom fit your foot.

The other advantage these have for marching over the jogging or running shoes is the soles are not extremely wider than the shoe. Running shoes usually have the soles cut wider and if you look down at your foot, you will see the soles being wider than the shoe. This can have an adverse effects when marching.