Your old corps - Junior side

Note: Also have this in the DCA side but interested in how people with Junior corps experience feel about this. Always interesting to compare the two sides. Especially since Junior corps members tend to have less years with their corps.

Had an interesting talk during the last week and though I'm bring it up for discussion. Especially since part of it might be from my mugged up experiences in Drum Corps land.

Someone was asking why I didn't do the Alumni bit for my old corps since... "well they're your old corps". Problem is during my years there was at least three different corps (all with the same name). First there was the group of 50%+ rookies trying to bring back a defunct corps. Few year later there was the group that had vets from other corps building up to break top 5 in DCA. After a break there was that mid-80s group of vets trying to bring back a corps (again bringing back a corps but this time with people who knew what they were doing ). While I was not a member, the corps was in the top 3 a few times which I'm sure was a different experience. Also after I left, the group get known for having a jazz type style which the Alumni group uses today.

So the question is, what do you consider to be "your" corps. Is it name and name alone, or is it experiences, the people, show style, whatever, etc, etc.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

The Bluecoats are the Bluecoats because of the people. Hands down, thats what we are about. The sense of family overcomes all with us. The Contra section (especially this year) has a sense of pride that you can see from the stands. We know we are good, we just have to show that to the judges and the fans. That challenge is what brings us together.

Thats all I got for now.

My old corps is just that, my old corps

After I stopped marching with them I went off and had a life, I did keep in eye on them but wasn’t really involved with them nor am I involved with them today…oh, I see some faces at shows and even see some of them on line here but…I’m just a fan in it for my own entertainment

If they did an alumni corps, I doubt I could be arsed, too much of a commitment and the pay off would be realizing just how much I have lost and decayed

I’d rather just throw some bucks at them from a far and let others go out and relive their 'glory days' – I’m very comfortable in the stands (not literally though, they can be murder on your back)

forgot this part

It’s really in name alone mostly but I like that some of the dusties are still around from my time too, not all is lost – the experience now is not the same as I had so its not that

Edited by cowtown

I marched in a corps that folded after my last year with them. They've since tried (unsuccessfully) to regroup, and while I respect the effort and wish them well, I kind of wish they'd just leave it alone. It's not the name that makes the corps, it's the group of people, the staff, the members, and the sense of history that they share. Reforming my corps under the same name with different leadership, different staff, and almost completely new members isn't what I want. It wouldn't be my corps, and I'm not sure they'd do justice to the name.

I think that a lot of it has to do with good old fashion human memory. You can march the Juniors and 30 years later, you probably won't remember who your 10th grade science teacher was or who you sat next to in math class, but you'll remember your corpsmates and instructors like it was yesterday.

they are my family and everyday without them is like a million kicks in the crotch(can anyone catch the reference). Also the experience i had there. I would rather go back there then become a ring chaser.

Seeing the Troopers almost disappear for good made me realize how important it was to get more involved. Being part of the return energy is pretty addictive, and I love that I've made so many connections with Troopers past and present. I had already realized how much I gained from being part of the Troopers as a member, and it hit me hard that I did not want that to go away for future Troopers.

I could be active with Nighthawks alums if there were many around and wanted to do some social stuff. (we've got a facebook page now, though, and we're finding a few of us still around) Even though we folded after only a couple of years, I am grateful I had the chance to start there.

The Bluecoats are the Bluecoats because of the people. Hands down, thats what we are about. The sense of family overcomes all with us. The Contra section (especially this year) has a sense of pride that you can see from the stands. We know we are good, we just have to show that to the judges and the fans. That challenge is what brings us together.

Thats all I got for now.

We have reasons to be proud. Just need to remain humble. Let the music speak for itself... I think then people will get on board with us. :D

St. Andrew's from Cambridge Ontario Canada will always be my corps.

The Bridgemen was my corps still is my corps I love that they came back. I marched mostly the pre coat era but did march 76 the first year of the coats. Would I march the alumni corps nahhh I am having too much fun watching in the stands. I performed many years and never got to see the Bridgemen when I marched now I enjoy finally seeing the corps. They are doing a great job with the corps a great and different show every year. Me I will always be a Bridgemen till the day I Die.