"Midnight in Miami"...

Oops... what I meant and should have said was the first all-original music program in drum corps history.

Indeed it was.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it was 1989 that Spirit had the rear view mirrors on the basses.

83 or 84 was the first season. I think they kept them for practical as well as aesthetic reasons. I think in 87 they put baby shoes on the bottoms of the basses too.

Edited by tommytimp

I may have inadvertantly had a small part to play in Suncoast's all original program in 1985.

1984 was my last year writing drill and teaching Suncoast. I recall having a conversation with Robert Smith where I was complaining about how hard it was to write drill with all the "considerations" that have to be taken into account, when off the top of his his head he says " Well, how about next year you take a section of the show where you write the drill first, write anything that you want and then I'll write the music to fit your drill." I thought about it for a second and quickly realized that, at least for me, having the music to listen to while I tried to conjur up a series of visual ideas was very helpful to my creative process. In fact, at the time I couldn't really see me doing it any other way, so I kinda dropped the subject at that point.

I didn't know whether to take Robert seriously or not, and since I wound up leaving Suncoast after the '84 season I never got the chance to find out. Something tells me though, that since he wrote an entirely original show in 85, we could have tried it.

• 2 weeks later...
Which reminds me... what bass line put rear view mirrors on their drums? Was that Spirit?

yes that was spirit, and they also had legs on their drums which had baby Nikes on the ends. they would have the legs all the way up in the drums when they marched, but I believe pulled them down for warm ups and such.

• 1 month later...
Aren't "The Lick" and "The Run" the exact same thing? Someone help me out here...

The Lick would be the ridiculous unison horn lick in the beginning of the tag ending to the show (which is now a ringtone on my phone!)

The Run would be the bass drum cadenza that trades off with the baritone solo prior to the tag ending.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
has to be the greatest Drum Corps "original" tune ever created.

I only bring this up because I set up my Ipod on shuffle today with it hooked up to surround-sound speakers on full blast...and up popped Suncoast Sound 85.

That's all I have to say about that.

Agreed, however, and this is probably bias as it's the year I started in Drum Corps and the version I'm most familiar iwht, but I prefer the '89 version of the show to the '85 version.

Whenever somebody makes a statement on a thread on here that "All this original -written for drum corps- music is just boring and is killing drum corps and the music side of shows by leaving us with too many shows that are musically forgettable" --- I always immediately think of 85 Suncoast and how Fantastic and Memorable the music that Robert W. Smith wrote was.

(It's not about original music. It's about the music that is actually written by the composer. And about what seems to be an approach of "all impact and no substance" ... that has evolved today. :laughing: )