Know anything about women in music...drum corps wise?

The person you are thinking of from Rochester Crusaders was Corky Fabrizio's daughter---she now is a teacher @ Hilton Central's Northwood Elementary School.

Her name is Beth Fabrizio. If you Google her name you can find out more about her.

Edited by tympmom

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a semi-related note......

Georgia Graves, whom I mentioned earlier in this thread, was one of the raffle prize winners at last night's Dixie Stinger concert here in Baltimore. Small world, indeed!

Fran

Waaaaaaay back in the 50's, the all-girl Audobon Bon Bons came within a few 10ths of winning the American Legion National championship ('57)...came in 2nd to Holy Name...and ahead of the great Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, St Vinnie's, etc...they outscored just about everyone at one time or the other in that time frame.

Yes. Audubon also came within 0.05 of winning the Dream (1957, 2nd to Blessed Sac), and within a tenth of winning VFW Nationals (1953, 2nd to St. Vincent's). They were truly competitive with the very best in the 1950s.

There were a few other all-female senior corps in competition, but the Hormel Girls were the most successful, making finals at the American Legion Nationals in the late 1940s.

Yes. Audubon also came within 0.05 of winning the Dream (1957, 2nd to Blessed Sac), and within a tenth of winning VFW Nationals (1953, 2nd to St. Vincent's). They were truly competitive with the very best in the 1950s.

While they were not at that level in the mid 60's, to my young eyes...10-14 years old...they were still a great corps.

Still arguably the top all-girl corps then....and with certainty as they resurged at the end of the decade. Not sure about this, but I think the Bon Bons were never defeated by another all-girl unit until the 1974 World Open showdown with St. Ignatius.

I do think though that because they came along later and never went head to head with Audubon that St. Ignatius does not receive serious enough consideration for best of all times.

They were simply fabulous at a time when women and girls could have played anywhere they wished.

Still arguably the top all-girl corps then....and with certainty as they resurged at the end of the decade. Not sure about this, but I think the Bon Bons were never defeated by another all-girl unit until the 1974 World Open showdown with St. Ignatius.

The area of South Jersey where the Bon Bons came from had another all-girl corps nearby in Haddonfield, the Royaleers. They were pretty good too...one of many all-girl corps in NJ in my era.

The area of South Jersey where the Bon Bons came from had another all-girl corps nearby in Haddonfield, the Royaleers. They were pretty good too...one of many all-girl corps in NJ in my era.

Great thread and just a couple points of clarification IMO. I think we keep focussing on recent drum corps history, i.e. 50's to current. If you go back before WWII you will find that women played a major role in drum corps after WWI. Where I beleive the big change came was post WWII with the 80/20 rule that Carol Hooten stated earlier. These rules imposed by the ruling body of senior corps, (that being the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars), significantly impacted on women's participation. Therefore women became virtually non-existent, except for a few, during the 50's and 60's with corps that marched AL or VFW sanctioned shows. I'm not going to try and bring in the evolution of the Junior's through the Catholic and veterans organizations, but suffice it to say, they had a significant impact on the overall drum corps scene after the 60's. To me, the 70's were the major decade of change with women making their impact (performance wise) in corps. So in order to do your paper justice, you might have to go back to get the complete picture.

And if I'm not mistaken your drum major Carol O'brien was the first female to march with 8th & I, THE Marine Drum and Bugle Corps....no small feat.

Good stuff and good luck it sounds like a fun project.

I played in the drumline of the Garfield Cadets in 1977. Prior to that from 1971 - 1976 I played in the Emerald Cadets drumline. Befor that I played in the Seymour Vanguard All girl drumline. There is a history of females in drumcorps, even in male dominant corps, but as said earlier, most were allowed into the colorguard. There are a small amount of us that were let in the ranks of insturmental involvement. There were at least 4 of us in Garfield's drumline in 77.

Yes, and the 4 of you were excellent performers and high achievers in an extremely challenging show and year.

Without the buy-in and strong performance by the Cadets drumline that year, my brass charts would have had little impact. I am forever in your debt, and so is the corps.

Frank