The OFFICIAL 2009 Phantom Regiment Thread

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it's finally here...IT'S SINNISSIPPI DAY!!!!

so yeah...i'm making a road trip out of it and heading North by Northwest (haha!) to Rockford.

this is going to be the beginning of another wonderful season of drum corps for ***THE DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS*** PHANTOM REGIMENT!!!

I soooooooooooo wish I could be there! :thumbdown:

well, it's finally here...IT'S SINNISSIPPI DAY!!!!

so yeah...i'm making a road trip out of it and heading North by Northwest (haha!) to Rockford.

this is going to be the beginning of another wonderful season of drum corps for ***THE DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS*** PHANTOM REGIMENT!!!

Full review, plz. :thumbdown:

very...very...very long drive. apparently all the stimulus package $$ is going to fix every square inch of Illinois' interstates (i wonder how that happened!?!) :thumbdown:

lots of construction and one CRAZY ### woman in a volvo who tried to run a few people off the road later...i made it.

guess i'll rest up and get something to eat. then i'll head out for the concert.

i'm not a great review writer, but i'll give it a shot.

Edited by chaos001

so i just got in. apparently the idiots at the weather channel were wrong. i was expecting large hail, damaging winds, and possible tornadoes on the way home. no such luck. :thumbs-up: after 18 hrs of driving in 2 days, sitting in construction several times on the way up there (though didn't really run into any on the way back), trying not to get run over by the crazy lady in the volvo in Normal, and sitting through an absolutely PHANTASTIC concert...i'm home.

here's what i thought of Phantom Regiment themselves (brace yourselves as this is my opinion only...it will probably suck):

the pros - their hornline is way ahead of schedule and i'm trying not to over sensationalize the fact. imo, they sounded much better than the recordings of Sinnissippi from last year. actually, i think they sound at least as good as when i saw them in Murfreesboro. i'm not kidding. now, they were at standstill...so this may change on the move.

special props: low brass is kickin' ###. if some people had doubts about the Quantum horns, their minds most likely will change. it's just super tasty...like butter! (phonetically butt' uh)

percussion is, well, what you've come to expect with a PR (mind the double entendre) line. they are good. they will be better.

dm's looked SHARP. (not that i was staring or anything :thumbs-up:)

the cons - a few fracks in the trumpets, esp. on higher register stuff. mostly in the encore pieces.

the unis look sharp, but still need a punch of something. maybe if the baldric had more sequins or something.

my biggest gripe about them as a corps is although they technically play the pieces very well, they don't "own" them yet. they haven't developed the intensity yet, but this will take some time...it is early ya know!

now, the 2009 production of THE RED VIOLIN :

this show will be (yet again) driven by a story line and it felt that way. as i was listening to it..something was missing. it really left me wondering what would be going on to compliment the music. apparently i needed a visual aid or two. i made assumptions as to what will possibly occur with each movement.

it opens with the piece heard on FieldPass and at The Countdown. it sets the mood for a rather somber/mysterious/you're going to meet a gloomy fate at the end feeling.

it transitions into the Paganini theme from which all the other pieces are based on. i'm not sure which exact piece was used...but i'm assuming the story will now introduce us to the characters. musically the Paganini theme is a little repetitive (as true to the original composition). i can feel that these characters' lives are very repetitive...mundane.

then it moves into what i can clearly distinguish as Paganini Variations, by Witold Lutoslawski. fast, furious, techinically demanding. the sops are showing their stuff. story-wise the violin player is on the rise and receiving accolades and money.

someone's living the high-life (and not miller style) now. it seems out of character slightly. but when they do (and they will) own this music...Caprice XXIV Paganini will ROCK. the percussion wasn't shy at all. jam. session. the screaming sop hangover at the end is HOT.

something story-wise is now amiss. maybe it really was meant to be a scream?!? maybe someone(s) got into more than they can handle? maybe the fame and power become a bit too much? i can't recognize this piece, but it will be the "ballad." i say that quite loosely. ballads are usually uplifting, heart-touching, and beautiful. this one is sobering...melancholy feelings. almost a dirge.

the next movement (title i'm unsure of) is angry if not completely desperate.

the ending's what i'm least happy with. it's the usual, "what until the end of the season." as of right now i'm not sure how the end will turn out. it was mixed emotionally.

i would like to thank the following sponsors for contributing to my random, at the last minute road trip and made it bearable.

Honda, Hilton Hotels Corporation, Chase Manhattan, Diet Coke, Apple iPod, Prada Eyeware ('cause it takes a lot of $$$ to cover up a lot of ugly), Verizon Wireless, and LG.

it's gonna be a good year.

Edited by chaos001

Too bad this guy aged out already :thumbs-up:

poindexter4.jpg

I was watching Family Guy yesterday. They were ripping off that movie. :thumbs-up: