Things I miss about drum corps

The number one thing I miss is far and away the musical selections that are being played on the field. I'm bored to freaking tears with the music today. Very few recognizable "songs" any longer.

I also miss guards that "throw stuff" (Instead of that dancing,prancing and emoting BS that we see today)

I miss hearing Bass Drums that sound like Bass Drums. (Instead of vertical tenors)

I miss the sound of G-Bugles.

I miss watching shows without being required to sit there and think about what the theme is and the deeper meaning of it all.

I miss retreat at the end of a show.

I miss watching shows that don't have "distracting overblown wretched excess pits" taking attention away from what's happening on the field.

I miss shows without "Lip Flapping."

I miss shows where the focus is on the music and the people in the stands. (Not the judges)

I miss shows without "artificial volume increasers."

I also miss "resonable" DCI DVD and ticket prices without ridiculous Ticketmaster surcharges.

Hmmmm...humor, I get it. LOL

I guess what I should say is....I miss being 16 and traveling around with a lot of friends and working my butt off. Meeting new friends from other corps and having fun.

YES! That's what I miss.

I miss waking up and for a moment, not being sure what city or state I was in.

Chocolate milk and cupcakes at rest stops - my favourite road snack.

The kids I've taught over the years. All of them.

Seeing the bassline come together over the winter months.

The first outdoor drill practice. This was the first day of spring to me no matter what the weather or date on the calendar.

The people I've been lucky enough to be on staff with.

The people I marched with, especially those I know have passed on, some younger than me.

As a marching member, the feeling of coming off the field knowing it was a good show.

As a staff member, seeing the kids come off the field and seeing in their faces that they know it was a good show.

Feeling like I was part of something bigger than myself that had been around for a long time, and hopefully would continue for a long time.

Feeling like I might be making a difference to the kids I taught.

As the oldest staff member at Dutch, feeling like I was a bit of a "corps dad" to kids in all sections.

Most of all - teaching a corps where both my daughters marched. Our little pre-show ritual of tapping their flagpoles with my sticks when they were waiting to enter the field.

Sorry - in a bit of a nostalgic mood today.

Edited by kusankusho

exactly, you hit it dead on

also,,, I miss competitive DCI "open" class (now ahem,, world) Candian drum corps,,

The number one thing I miss is far and away the musical selections that are being played on the field. I'm bored to freaking tears with the music today. Very few recognizable "songs" any longer.

I also miss guards that "throw stuff" (Instead of that dancing,prancing and emoting BS that we see today)

I miss hearing Bass Drums that sound like Bass Drums. (Instead of vertical tenors)

I miss watching shows without being required to sit there and think about what the theme is and the deeper meaning of it all.

I miss watching shows that don't have "distracting overblown wretched excess pits" taking attention away from what's happening on the field.

I miss shows where the focus is on the music and the people in the stands. (Not the judges)

I also miss "resonable" DCI DVD and ticket prices without ridiculous Ticketmaster surcharges.

I miss the small town drum corps competition, whether it be parades or field. Those days are long gone. Close friends were made.

I miss garbage bag antipasto. As a kid, that was cool and it tasted great.

Walking on the field, Arms entwined thinking these are the best friends one could have.

The fact that all the corps members you were competing against were under the age to vote.

Sheltered life, half the corps I competed against were hoping some of their 'kids' only looked young enough to vote - for the first time :tongue:

I hear you on the rest of your list.

Regards,

John

The best thing about this thread is reading through all the posts and realizing that regardless of where we marched and when we marched, we all share something in common. And like one poster said - more in common than the people we went to school with. It's almost like discovering borthers and sisters you never knew you had.

Regards,

John

It's almost like discovering borthers and sisters you never knew you had.

Regards,

John

not.

RETREAT.

I miss all night drum marathons at Mars, (BD), and waking up the next morning on the field after the sun came up!

Why even have marching bass drums if they sound just like a pit bass then?