Eyeglasses while in uniform

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the trend towards thicker framed eyeglasses over the past few years? Especially on the sides of the frames. And many of them have the designer's name or logo right on the side of the thick frame so that everyone can see. I'm following the trend myself, I just got a pair of Versace's back in January (don't worry, I didn't pay full price for them). Will some frames be too much of a distraction if worn by a corps member in uniform? Will they have to go with contacts or a more modest type of frame?

Are there any corps that currently have a policy regarding what kinds of glasses they can wear in uniform? Do you think we'll see more corps adopting policies soon?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I marched.....

Glasses were okay. But polarized lenses were frowned upon. And you could only wear them if they fit under your shako. I generally left mine off, didn't quite fit, and always trapped in heat and could fog up easily. And according to the Army I'm still 20/20 without glasses. Or at least I was a decade ago.

Sunglasses were not okay.

Now in DCA, sunglasses are almost required. Depending on the corps.

I know that where I march, members are allowed to wear their glasses as long as they can fit them under their hat. Sunglasses are deffinatly a must for rehearsal though

I know that where I march, members are allowed to wear their glasses as long as they can fit them under their hat. Sunglasses are deffinatly a must for rehearsal though

I used to love the daytime prelim shows when we could wear sunglasses in uniform. I always thought that looked cool.

I have always used transition lenses since I started wearing glasses. There have been one or two occasions (during photo sessions) where I was asked to remove them, but always had them on during performances.

Some people can't wear contacts, and I've never heard of a corps that prohibited glasses during a performace. I can definately see that they would cause an issue if they are too big. I tried contacts for a while and could never get them to work for me, so I marched every show with glasses no problem. :worthy:

Edited by ContrasAreFun

marched every show with my glasses on. i don't really see how a corps can make a rule saying you can't wear your glasses just because they look like "...." now sunglasses in uniform are different and i understand if a corps decides to (or not) make judgements on that, but glasses help people see and if i need them to see, you can't tell me i can't wear them.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the trend towards thicker framed eyeglasses over the past few years? Especially on the sides of the frames. And many of them have the designer's name or logo right on the side of the thick frame so that everyone can see. I'm following the trend myself, I just got a pair of Versace's back in January (don't worry, I didn't pay full price for them). Will some frames be too much of a distraction if worn by a corps member in uniform? Will they have to go with contacts or a more modest type of frame?

Are there any corps that currently have a policy regarding what kinds of glasses they can wear in uniform? Do you think we'll see more corps adopting policies soon?

Of course, BITD glasses were just glasses. I wear reading glasses, myself now that I've reached a certain age. I do remember that there was one corps in the sixties that had a requirement - The Troopers made everyone wear glasses. Or so it seemed.

Puppet

Back when I marched.....

Glasses were okay. But polarized lenses were frowned upon. And you could only wear them if they fit under your shako. I generally left mine off, didn't quite fit, and always trapped in heat and could fog up easily. And according to the Army I'm still 20/20 without glasses. Or at least I was a decade ago.

Sunglasses were not okay.

Now in DCA, sunglasses are almost required. Depending on the corps.

ROFLMAO :worthy: I can relate to that. When I marched I was diagnosed with an astigmatism in my left eye (which means that the eyeball changed shape and the light doesn't focus directly on the retna - or so the doc said). Anyway, I was told that I needed corrective vision and had never worn glasses before in my life. I picked out polarized lenses that would change their tint (usually according to the temperature) and thought I looked like "Joe cool on campus". But alas all good things must come to an end. We had a parade before the season started and I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to wear them, which really put me in a twist because I'd just spent $250 trying to look like Elvis, and my vision wasn't that bad, but I had to march without them - and this was just a parade! :smile:

Edited by Piper