Eyeglasses while in uniform

Doesn't really bother me on horn and percussion members. The hat really helps (even though the baritone in SCV 89 who had glasses definitely looked noticeably different with the mask on). The one that is distracting is in the guard. I can't think of too many examples - a girl Southwind 04 comes to mind - but on the same note if someone can't wear contacts and cannot see the drum major without glasses, what do you do?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of a corps having uniform policies regarding glasses, other than the usual forbidding of sunglasses in uniforms at least in juniors. Worrying about uniform glasses seems unnecessarily invasive.

Bob Bollman, the timpani player for the '87 Blue Devils comes to mind. The guy had some big ol' white Ray-Ban-looking (prescription) shades.

Weren't the frames a checkerboard pattern as well??

See...on BD back then, it works....on Santa Clara....not so much!

Depends on the corps.

didn't the bridgemen sop who played that sweet solo in land of make believe in 78 wear shades with white plastic frames?

At the end of the 2005 Cadets semifinals video (can't say for sure about the finals video) the camera zooms in on a trumpet player who is clearly wearing glasses. They are small, wire frame glasses that don't cover much more than his eyeballs, but they're still glasses.

Piffle. Marched with him in '04. Cadets don't give a #### about seeing-type glasses of any type, but sunglasses are out, shows OR rehearsals.

Oh, like the kids marching do not have enough trouble without all walking around looking like Buddy Holly...

We called those Birth Control Glasses, because while wearing them you had zero chances. Hmmm maybe that would not be a bad thing in High Schools though.

So then I should introduce you to the St. Rita's Brassmen version of Clark Kent. The one and only Super Drum Major Rick!

RICK.jpg

After he ducked into the telephone booth to don his uniform someone would always have to go back and get his glasses!

InHand.jpg

But he was a smokin' DM!

Puppet