Eyeglasses while in uniform

Know the feeling Kev... without glasses I have 20/100 in one eye and 20/OMG in the other. Had to wear the heavy plastic frames cuz they were strong enough to keep the thick ###ed glass lens in the frame. Image my "happiness" when I read that a FBI profiler said that serial killers that wear glasses usually wore what I had. :worthy:

Now with the plastic lenses, I can have lighter lenses and wear the wire frames. Also found out that the smaller the lens, the thinner the lens is for strong perscriptions (NOW they freakin' tell me :smile: ).

Big problem now is I have a weak eye lid and use my right eye less and less when looking to the side. The lousy depth perception has gone to total crap and I have to march on the right side during parades so I can guide to the left using my good eye. Doing a field show anymore would be scary..... :smile:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 20/200 vision in my left eye. Glasses won't correct it because it's literally a lack of vision, not a lack of focus, due to a lazy eye which we were not able to bring back up to full strength after surgery when I was 3. I actually wear glasses now to keep my good eye as strong as possible since, outside peripheral vision, it's all I've got, but I didn't wear glasses when I marched.

During the '93 season, the horn line was asked how many of us couldn't see the drum major during one point in the show. We were mainly on Side 1, which meant the DM was on my left, which also meant that I could only see an amorphous blob, so, naturally, I raised my hand. Those of us who did were immediately told to deal with it. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with that, especially since I had no tempo source at that point in the show.

Ooooo...I HATE that answer....at LEAST give you some tools to work with...

Any chance DCI or just a specific corps would someday partner with a glasses company to produce a standard "show glasses" for whoever needed them? Similar to the Army standard ones.

Oh, like the kids marching do not have enough trouble without all walking around looking like Buddy Holly...

We called those Birth Control Glasses, because while wearing them you had zero chances. Hmmm maybe that would not be a bad thing in High Schools though.

Oh, like the kids marching do not have enough trouble without all walking around looking like Buddy Holly...

Or Clark Kent...

We called those Birth Control Glasses, because while wearing them you had zero chances.

Yep....you could've been a Playmate and no guy would've touched you with those things on!

Or Clark Kent...

Yep....you could've been a Playmate and no guy would've touched you with those things on!

whoa, hold it there pardner!!! make fun of this guy all you want (he's a corps geek, he should be used to it by now) but leave naughty librarians out of it!!!!

.....---an astigmatism is a misalignment in refraction that causes light sources to blur slightly, and its usually caused by a slight misalignment in the curve of the lens or a pinhole in the iris, or colored part of the eye that allows a second light source pass the lens. a deformed eyeball would be a far more serious (and less common) type of problem, i think you misheard a bit of what the eye doc told you there.....

Maybe.. but I don't think so. This from the American Optometric Association's web site for whatever it's worth :

Astigmatism occurs due to the irregular shape of the cornea or the lens inside the eye. The cornea and lens are primarily responsible for properly focusing light entering your eyes allowing you to see things clearly.

The curvature of the cornea and lens causes light entering the eye to be bent in order to focus it precisely on the retina at the back of the eye. In astigmatism, the surface of the cornea or lens has a somewhat different curvature in one direction than another. In the case of the cornea, instead of having a round shape like a basketball, the surface of the cornea is more like a football. As a result, the eye is unable to focus light rays to a single point causing vision to be out of focus at any distance.

Edited by Piper

Maybe.. but I don't think so. This from the American Optometic Association's web site for whatever it's worth :

Astigmatism occurs due to the irregular shape of the cornea or the lens inside the eye. The cornea and lens are primarily responsible for properly focusing light entering your eyes allowing you to see things clearly.

The curvature of the cornea and lens causes light entering the eye to be bent in order to focus it precisely on the retina at the back of the eye. In astigmatism, the surface of the cornea or lens has a somewhat different curvature in one direction than another. In the case of the cornea, instead of having a round shape like a basketball, the surface of the cornea is more like a football. As a result, the eye is unable to focus light rays to a single point causing vision to be out of focus at any distance.

you realize your post said what mine did, only without mentioning pinholes in the iris (the second most common cause for astigmatism, and the cause for mine, which is where i dredged up all of this arcane knowledge in the first place)? the first guy probably meant the same thing, but he made it sound like it was a deformed eyeball, which is a little more extrmee than a slight warping of the lens or pinhole in the iris. i was just trying to say that an astigmatism, while inconvenient, isn't all that uncommon or gross and you wouldn't notice one walking down the street. thats all.

OY let's bring on the season ~ we're arguing over what an astigmatism is or isn't. :worthy:

<--- had one since i was 4 in both eyes. have many other eye issues too. if some corps told me I 1) couldn't wear glasses i'd be out; and 2) couldn't wear sunglasses i'd be out.

having had my eyes go really bad 30 years ago i could never take the risk of damaging them further.

Ok, getting this back on topic.

At the end of the 2005 Cadets semifinals video (can't say for sure about the finals video) the camera zooms in on a trumpet player who is clearly wearing glasses. They are small, wire frame glasses that don't cover much more than his eyeballs, but they're still glasses.

So that's one corps at least that we can say allows glasses. Their policy on the size of the lenses or shape/size of the frames may be present, but as I am not a member of the Cadets, I do not have the information to say.