Holy Name 09 and Voice

Hop held what seems to be a regularly recurring webinar on the year's upcoming program and opened it up for questions after his presentation was over. The question was asked if there will be voice in this years show and the answer was....

... "probably not".

He further explained that his belief has always been to use voice as a means to help tell the story, and at this point in the program's development, he doesn't see the need for it. He did not rule it out 100% but did say that if any was used, it would be very minimal... nothing like last year.

He also seemed to suggest that they would not be going overboard with the new electronics usage and that there were probably other corps out there that would make use of the new rule more than the Cadets.

Thought I'd throw that out there.

Discuss.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hop held what seems to be a regularly recurring webinar on the year's upcoming program and opened it up for questions after his presentation was over. The question was asked if there will be voice in this years show and the answer was....

... "probably not".

He further explained that his belief has always been to use voice as a means to help tell the story, and at this point in the program's development, he doesn't see the need for it. He did not rule it out 100% but did say that if any was used, it would be very minimal... nothing like last year.

He also seemed to suggest that they would not be going overboard with the new electronics usage and that there were probably other corps out there that would make use of the new rule more than the Cadets.

Discuss.

It sounds like a nice change back to the older more proven style of things . Inovation is

great but I think George bit off a little bit more than he could chew ! But make no mistake when

Hoppy is on his game , look out ! Sounds like a very interesting year for Holy Name Cadets !

Good luck Holy Name , see you in Toledo :worthy:

... "probably not".

Discuss.

I had nothing against George's implementation of voice over the past few years, but I must say that it's hard to really make spoken word fit drum corps from an artistic standpoint. Other corps use it in small amounts, and it works fine. But the capacity that George wanted it in the show is just really tough to make work.

That being said, I am really looking forward to Holy Name's show this year, be it with or without voice. George and the team always design shows that are great for the members to perform, and the members always perform the snot out of the shows.

Best of luck, and see you on tour :)

To be blunt, I'll believe it when I see it. Call me cynical.

With all the drumming and playing, I don't see how they could squeeze a word in.

Count me among the skeptics. While I would dearly love to see the Cadets dazzle me with some sweet, sweet Bernstein, I don't know if Hop can restrain himself from throwing in some narration. (Sung vocals--even amplified vocals--I can live with, and might actually enjoy.)

... "probably not".

Discuss.