Have you Sponsored a Member this season?

FYI...sponsoring a member is not a tax-deductible donation (because you're not donating to the organization, you're donating to a person). It doesn't financially benefit the organization.

Be sure to talk with your tax preparer for tax advice.

That's not to say it's not a nice thing to do for someone who needs the financial help. But, that's all it is: helping someone who needs money.

There is a way to do this. I do not give to the individual. Instead, I donate to the corps directly via the online Sheep Wagon (Trooper souvie page) and the corps sends me a tax letter. There was a thread about this a while ago, but I'm not going to be able to find it right now.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for linking that in Lance! I want to encourage each of you to find someone to help. It stuck me that this kid uses the words to pass up being a blessing in someone else's life. Many of us had the opportunity to chase our dream and be a part of finals night, help someone with with same dream you once had and took as a part of the rest of your life!

I have sponsored members for the last four years. I am in the position of being able to sponsor members, donate to multiple corps, buy souviners, volunteer and attend as many shows as I want to attend. I fly to all the shows, get a rental car so I watch practice, stay in fancy hotels and sit in the VIP section and wonder why anyone would buy a ticket on the 30 yard line when there are always tickets on the fifty. I am not a Friend of DCI but I still get great seats all the time.

Most of the members that I have sponsored have been deeply moved by my generosity. A couple didn't even say thank you but I know that they were able to have a life changing experience by marching and it was time to move on with their lifes. All I expect from those that I sponsor is that they give 100% all the time on tour.

What I don't understand with the OP is why did he/she post here first and not his/her corps forum? All corps have payment plans so I don't think that is an issue. Better chance of getting money from alumni of that corps.

Drum Corps is a great activity and everyone should give as much as they can whenever they can. For those of us that can afford to give more should also give more. The difference between a $100 donation and a $10,000 is that you just have to add two zero's when writing the check.

I have donated to certain kids in the past who have now aged out. Now, I'm torn. I feel like I should help a kid. but then it's supporting what I personally believe is the wrong direction for DCI.

If DCI had been as it is today when I marched, I'm pretty sure I could not have marched. Not because of money or musically ability, but because of the limitations of what sort of kid can make it physically.

It's a ###### if I do, ###### if I don't thing in my mind so I will only help support any of my students who march.

AM I wrong for that compromise to myself ?

Thank you for posting this question.

With the economy the way it is there are even fewer kids that can afford to march and all the while the cost of transportation etc hasn't come down. Many of the kids are doing whatever they can to pay for their fees but they still come up short. I know of kids in VK who hold garage sales, recycle and do the regular sales fundraiser things. Many of them work and go to college. They aren't freeloaders. These are difficult times and I wish that those that could chip in even a few bucks would do so.

Many corps have donation links and you can send money direct to the corps if you're reluctant to send directly to the member. Either enter the members name that was asking here if they didn't already establish a link to the corps website or simply indicate "most in need" or your favorite section. The corps will make sure a youth's account is credited.

As for me I'm helping out by volunteering and by getting fundraiser programs going for corps members.

Nancy

I think some of the kids who need help the most hear this far too often...So I wonder if people use this as a crutch, an excuse, or something legitimate. I tell the people I work with every little bit helps even if its only 10 or 20 bucks.

I guess that's one way to think about it. However, I think in this economy saying that people are using that as a "crutch" is bull ####. When we are talking about people losing jobs, Universities giving out less financial aid or scholarships, and other things going away (for example, the school I teach at is getting rid of summer school. Typically, band kids prefer to take summer school so they have room in their schedule for band. Now, they are looking at paying a couple hundred dollars for summer school, PLUS the band assessment fee), it is more than reasonable for people to not have hundreds, or thousands of dollars to give kids to pay for a HOBBY. Drum corps is great, and most of us here think that it is a worthwhile experience. But when compared to paying for an education, rent/mortgage, food, bills, etc. it is just a luxurious hobby: a worthwhile, great one, but a hobby none-the-less.

I can sympathize with people who can't afford to march (I missed a year or two of drum corps because I couldn't afford it), and if I was secure with my job right now I would help a member or two out. But to call people's inability to contribute to other people's member fees a "crutch" is bull ####.

Edited by perc2100

I've helped quite a few young people with their dues over the years. Usually tried to give a few hundred dollars to several different members, rather than all of it to one person.

About 12 years go, one of the members that I had helped sponsor quit the corps in April or May and jumped to another, higher-placing corps that happened to have a sudden opening in the guard. Talk about feeling burned. I felt totally burned, because I have some very strong feelings about "corps-jumpers" and "ring-chasers." I almost quit sponsoring kids after that, but after I cooled off, I decided to continue to help kids march in whatever small way I could.

As for the person in the original post whose corps is threatening to kick him or her out if all of this year's dues aren't paid by late May, all I can say is that's B.S. and I'd gladly tell that corps' director that it is. This kid has already shown by paying all of last year's dues that they can be trusted to eventually pay up. Loyalty is a two-way street, and this corps needs to be "outed" for taking such a heartless stand. And yes, I realize the economics of putting a corps on the road, and how much money it takes, but this is just plain WRONG.

Edited by oldsoprano

The issue of whether sponsoring a member is tax deductible or not has come up many times on DCP...

Most corps have scholarship programs you can contribute to, where the funds received are used to help sponsor marching members who need assistance. These are supposed to be tax deductible contributions, since they are not designated to any individual, but rather a scholarship fund to be distributed at the discretion of corps management.

If you're concerned about the tax issue, then instead of deciding not to donate, donate to the corps' scholarship fund instead.

Meanwhile, be sure to use all of the no-cost donation programs out there, like iGive and others, that donate funds to your corps every time you either search or purchase products online. It's free to you, easy to do, and benefits the corps.

iGive has sent about $85 from my shopping/searches to the Madison Scouts so far, which isn't a lot, but if more people were doing this it would definitely add up! It would only take about 21 people using iGive to the same extent as I am to pay my son's dues in full this year, so it doesn't take thousands of people to make a difference.

Yep, I have. A little bit, but at least it's something.

I guess that's one way to think about it. However, I think in this economy saying that people are using that as a "crutch" is bull ####. When we are talking about people losing jobs, Universities giving out less financial aid or scholarships, and other things going away (for example, the school I teach at is getting rid of summer school. Typically, band kids prefer to take summer school so they have room in their schedule for band. Now, they are looking at paying a couple hundred dollars for summer school, PLUS the band assessment fee), it is more than reasonable for people to not have hundreds, or thousands of dollars to give kids to pay for a HOBBY. Drum corps is great, and most of us here think that it is a worthwhile experience. But when compared to paying for an education, rent/mortgage, food, bills, etc. it is just a luxurious hobby: a worthwhile, great one, but a hobby none-the-less.

I can sympathize with people who can't afford to march (I missed a year or two of drum corps because I couldn't afford it), and if I was secure with my job right now I would help a member or two out. But to call people's inability to contribute to other people's member fees a "crutch" is bull ####.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about this year specifically as people using it as a crutch this year. But honestly, think to yourself how many times you tell the girl scouts who come to your door you don't have money for a $3.50 box of cookies. That would be an example of using that excuse as a crutch. Now certainly the difference between your family eating and paying a $100 to a corps member then becomes the issue of not having the money. But I will always advocate any little bit helps. That $10 or $20 could be their food on a free day when the corps doesn't feed them. I was around in the days when tour was significantly less.