A Toast to the corps that are gone

Good Times

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Java - wow - Hugh Burritt who did all those solo's - former Sevrensen Tonight show orchestra player - was head of the music department at Suny Oswego all these years...

Earlier, Remember the French Horn rips in Lawrence of Arabia? That be me...

French horn rips...I haven't heard that term for 35 years!! Thanks, that made me smile!

How about a thread about old school drum corps terms? Like "roll-off" or "street beat"? "French Horn Rips"...great!

• 1 month later...
Pre-DCA: Geneva Appleknockers

1970 or '71: Garden Statesmen - Don't know if they ever competed at DCA prelims. Anyone have information about that?

Gardenstatesmen only competed in the RCA 70,71,72.73 can't remember if 74 - they remained as a parade corps until around 1980. They are featured on the "1970 Evening With The Corps" from thre Felt Forum in NYC. We had 55 Horns on stage and competed with close to 48 all of 1970. I was one of the brass instructors and played some solo's. My Dad played bass drum and was Bus Mgr. later on.

The Corps was a merger of the Carver Gay Blades and the Dover Avengers Parade Corps. Pretty unique stuff for 1970. Newark was in the middle of some really bad riots and here we were people from both communities working together for something we all loved. great folks, lifelong frienships etc.

Other Senior Corps gone:

Morristown Colonials (Great "Battle Hymn")

Bridgeport Troopers (Did the "Bunny Hop")

Doremus

Sudbury Knights (RCA)

Cumberland Freestatesmen (RCA)

The Vigilantes (RCA)

There is a web site I found last year that lists all the placements of all the American Legions Nationals. Some realy cool names "Harvey Seeds", Custers Brigade" etc. did not save it but I am sure you can find it.

trox

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Ridgemen, Brooklyn, NY

• 1 month later...

Here are the names of some of Corps that I (WE) competed against and I haven't seen listed thus far.

Kingston Grenadiers

Shoremen, Pulaski NY

Smiths Falls OYB Lamplighters

Kawartha Kavaliers

Dunkirk Patriots

Brass, Inc.

A visit to http://drumcorpswiki.com/RCA should bring back a lot of names and memories

Here are the names of some of Corps that I (WE) competed against and I haven't seen listed thus far.

Kingston Grenadiers

Shoremen, Pulaski NY

Smiths Falls OYB Lamplighters

Kawartha Kavaliers

Dunkirk Patriots

Brass, Inc.

A visit to http://drumcorpswiki.com/RCA should bring back a lot of names and memories

wow... someone remembers the Shoremen (senior all aged corps)... while I taught them once in a while - they were the merge of my two previous corps, Oswego Pathfinders and Mexico Gray Barons... Dick Hoppe was involved up to his ears along with a few old Grey Barons - like the late Larry LaVeck. After their demise, Hop and I formed Oswego Black Knights Junior Corps.

Gardenstatesmen only competed in the RCA 70,71,72.73 can't remember if 74 - they remained as a parade corps until around 1980. They are featured on the "1970 Evening With The Corps" from thre Felt Forum in NYC. We had 55 Horns on stage and competed with close to 48 all of 1970. I was one of the brass instructors and played some solo's. My Dad played bass drum and was Bus Mgr. later on.

The Gardenstatesmen competed at the RCA championships in 1970, 1974, 1975

<snip>

Other Senior Corps gone:

Doremus

Sudbury Knights (RCA)

The Vigilantes (RCA)

There is a web site I found last year that lists all the placements of all the American Legions Nationals. Some realy cool names "Harvey Seeds", Custers Brigade" etc. did not save it but I am sure you can find it.

trox

Doremus and Jersey 'Skeeters (from an earleir post in this thread) are one-in-the-same. Capt Harry B. Doremus D & B of Hackensack, NJ. Two-time AL National Champs (once in the '30s and once in the 40's). First place AL NJ Sr. Champs every year until some new kids from Post 199 won for the first time circa 1950.....( and every year after that until Bush knocked them off).

I joined Doremus, a parade corps, in 1966. The corps still wore heavy flannel NJ State Police-style uniforms with riding pants and high stiff boots. We got better and bigger and voted to go on the field for 1967. President Johnson "recruited" me to march for his outfit. When I got home on leave before heading overseas, the corps had disbanded (I may have inadvertantly left the post on my last day with the key to the equipment room in my pocket.....I donno). They reorganized as a junior corps for a couple years.

Our horn instructor was Sonny Cataneo (Rose' father). Drums.....George Tuthill......, drill, Bill Kemerer, jr. Music was "Stars & Stripes, Mala Femina, Strangers in the Night (Sonny liked Sinatra songs) and we were about to add "Sweet Georgia Brown" (The Skeeters' trademark.)

I went back to visit the post in the late 70s, but found only a dirt lot where the building once stood.

Thanks a lot, Lyndon....... and I haven't voted for a Democrat for Prersident since.

That website you speak of is corpsreps

Joe in NJ

Edited by JoeDz

The Vigilantes former director Dan Yadesky is Percussion Instructor for Mon Valley and former guard member Randy Weston is the Guard instructor.

[quote name='TROX66' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:52 PM' post='2642519'

The Corps was a merger of the Carver Gay Blades and the Dover Avengers Parade Corps. Pretty unique stuff for 1970. Newark was in the middle of some really bad riots and here we were people from both communities working together for something we all loved. great folks, lifelong frienships etc.

Other Senior Corps gone:

Doremus

Sudbury Knights (RCA)

The Vigilantes (RCA)

trox

Doremus and Jersey 'Skeeters (from an earleir post in this thread) are one-in-the-same. Capt Harry B. Doremus D & B of Hackensack, NJ. Two-time AL National Champs (once in the '30s and once in the 40's). First place AL NJ Sr. Champs every year until some new kids from Post 199 won for the first time circa 1950.....( and every year after that until Bush knocked them off).

I joined Doremus, a parade corps, in 1966. The corps still wore heavy flannel NJ State Police-style uniforms with riding pants and high stiff boots. We got better and bigger and voted to go on the field for 1967. President Johnson "recruited" me to march for his outfit. When I got home on leave before heading overseas, the corps had disbanded (I may have inadvertantly left the post on my last day with the key to the equipment room in my pocket.....I donno). They reorganized as a junior corps for a couple years.

Our horn instructor was Sonny Cataneo (Rose' father). Drums.....George Tuthill......, drill, Bill Kemerer, jr. Music was "Stars & Stripes, Mala Femina, Strangers in the Night (Sonny liked Sinatra songs) and we were about to add "Sweet Georgia Brown" (The Skeeters' trademark.)

I went back to visit the post in the late 70s, but found only a dirt lot where the building once stood.

Thanks a lot, Lyndon....... and I haven't voted for a Democrat for Prersident since.

That website you speak of is corpsreps

Joe in NJ

Ron/Diceman has lot of the AL/VFW info on srcorps.com as well. And thanks for the info on Doremus Joe. Bought a 1948 Doremus Booster pin on eBay a while back that I really should scan to show some day. Has a bit of "trick photography" as it show the DM holding a tray that appears to have the corps standing on it. Figure it's pretty neat for the day. :blink: Anyway, have been kinda hooked on finding info on past AL/VFW corps like Doremus.

PS - DCW just released an early DC CD. IIRC it has 1951 Doremus on it and a pic of the corps on the inside cover.