A Toast to the corps that are gone

Glassmen-Corning New York

Seneca Chiefs-Montour Falls New York

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was always my favorite show!! :blink:

......................Probably because of the beer run at that club in 1987 after the show. You were so dry........ you were the first one to run off that bus..................... and the first one to run past the bouncer. You were so proud of yourself. You beat everybody and you sure won the prize!!!

......................Probably because of the beer run at that club in 1987 after the show. You were so dry........ you were the first one to run off that bus..................... and the first one to run past the bouncer. You were so proud of yourself. You beat everybody and you sure won the prize!!!

I will NEVER live that down,will I? LOL!

And let's not say anymore about that...... :blink:

I will NEVER live that down,will I? LOL!

And let's not say anymore about that...... :rolleyes:

My lips are sealed....LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Also pre-DCA, did anyone mention Canada's Burlington Commanders and the Marching Ambassadors?

Burlington Commanders made DCA in 1971 (I think we were 12th, just edging out the Pittsburgh Rockets) and competed in a lot of DCA shows in 1972.

Ambassadors folded up after their 1970 season and it was the influx of their members that gave us the talent to crack DCA in 1971.

Bruce, those of us who grew up in the golden age of drum corps in NY-Canadian will always have a fond memory for Commanders - great corps... many a beer tipped with some of Canada's finest - especially the twins - whose names escape me right now... but they were characters for sure.

Burlington Commanders made DCA in 1971 (I think we were 12th, just edging out the Pittsburgh Rockets) and competed in a lot of DCA shows in 1972.

Ambassadors folded up after their 1970 season and it was the influx of their members that gave us the talent to crack DCA in 1971.

Loved Commanders 1966 - VB did good work with them that year.

Also LOVED Freddy Johnon's 1968 Ambassador drum line (with the black diamond pearl drums)!

Loved Commanders 1966 - VB did good work with them that year.

Also LOVED Freddy Johnon's 1968 Ambassador drum line (with the black diamond pearl drums)!

I'm sure you know about Fred running the CADRE drum line...a real eclectic collection of guys from Guelph Royalaires, Commanders, Cardinals of Precious Blood, Cadets LaSalle and others. There is still a lot of tremendous talent up our way but too few opportunities for places to showcase them. Saw Scout House last weekend at a couple of parades and they are very good...even have swinging tenors! About all that's left in the area now is Scout House Alumni, Toronto Optimist Alumni, United Alumni out of Simcoe, Toronto Signal Regiment, and the Niagara Militaires Alumni. I heard De La Salle Alumni has a stage performance group and Midlanders Alumni from London were working to get a group on the street. There is a percussion ensemble in Hamilton still going...think it is related to HYPE or Conqueror and that's about it. Firefighters exist in name only and I believe have shut down for the summer as they have no percussion.

1966 Commanders was probably their best year. It's too bad that the only recording is at the '66 Shriners show in Toronto as there were quite a few holes that night I am told and it was certainly not the best exhibition the corps had ever put on. They did go to American Legion Championships in DC that year but for some reason were not allowed to compete even though they had Post sponsorship from an ex-pat Post in Toronto. I think they would have surprised a few corps had they been allowed to compete. Vince always had a good relationship with many of the corps in Southern Ontario and we were always glad to see him guest at some of our practices to clean up drill.