How'd you start? Band-O or Corps Rat?!

band-O or corps  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Did you start in Band or Corps??

• Band
    • Drum Corps
    • Other (what other, I don't know...just in case!)

Band by a year. I started playing the trumpet in school at 9yrs old, and played my first (valve rotor) soprano in a very small local corps at 10 yrs old. It wasn't a surprise that I ended up in drum corps though, my parents met while they were marching Jr. Corps.

Peace.

CuriousMe

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started in band in 6th grade, found out about corps in 8th grade, and from that point on I always considered myself more interested in corps than high school band.

I was still a pretty big bando though.

Marched two years of drum corps before I ever even picked up a band instrument. Did one year of marching band in high and switched to orchestra the next year as the high school mar4ching band was SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lame. End up being in a orchestra brass section that included 3 other people that I marched Regiment with. Needless to say the orchestra pieces we played showcased the brass section predomintantly. Trumpet, French horn, Trombone and Tuba that all marched a D1 finalist corps.

Band first. Elementary and middle school, then HS. I learned about corps from a guy who transferred into our school my sophomore year. Did both for two years. I was also a ringer in a couple of college bands (never registered, just marched) while marching drum corps.

For perspective, I graduated HS in 1972.

Garry in Vegas

3rd generation drum corps here. Raised by the first generation (grandparents), highly influenced by the 2nd (aunt and uncle). My first show was when I was three. Didn't even play an instrument of any type until 5th grade, so it was all drum corps up until that point.

Band geek right here. Being a super-competitive band, we try hard to put out a corps-caliber product every year. We feed a lot of local corps too. We sent at least 8 or 9 to Music City (the new one), a handful of alumni march for Legend (IIRC) and we have a Phantom alumnus and Bluecoats alumnus. The band is a big ol' group of casual fans with about 10 of us being crazy fans. We try to show the freshmen some DVDs to kind of show them what we aim for and what to aspire to look like. It's worked well for the band so far, 6 years in.

Edited by OdeToArsenal47

I'd be extremely surprised if there are many people who marched in finalist D1 corps over the past 10 years that weren't previously in band.

Be surprised then. Any Canadian (which there are many) marching World / Div 1 over the past 10 years are not in "bands'. No high school or university bands up here. All the talent is drum corps. Last year we had a Canuck on Phantoms Tuba line and is there again this year. Also a fine Canadian that was never in a band (only drum corps) that is Crowns, Caption Supervisor / Arranger - Battery. Lee Beddis.

I would also believe there are many American and overseas folk that don't do the band thing.

I can vouch for what Johnny A says about Canada - produced some of the greatest corps people anywhere with no school band system...

Try me on for size:

Parents loved drum corps - big brother was in drum corps - I was playing a horn about the time I started school.... by 9 I was marching in a parade corps by 13 I competed in my first field contest... (senior corps - though that's not really relevant... enter High school about that time... immediately joined band... had to keep drum corps secret as band director forbade it... freshman year band director finds out about drum corps and orders me to quit... I advise him to put his french horn where the sun doesn't shine...

I immediately concentrated on vocal music and took every music course offered and became a well trained musician via an end run - very successful music career without marching band... won my first national drum corps championship at 18

15 years later... my marching band director was retired and the brunt of many jokes

I was judging my alma mater in the state championships... there is justice in the world...