Synthesizers in drum corps

That just one of the reasons why I don't consider supporting drum corps as philanthropy and seeing it as buying privilege. I gave drum corps a pretty good chunk of change this year but for entirely selfish purposes, mainly to further my entertainment. That's off the table next year directly because of this rule change, next year it's just back to tickets for me assuming I find it entertaining at all this year.

I don't care about the kids in drum corps in that sense, kids that are in world class are generally well on their way, 20 year old college students that have had access to band and marching programs already. In fact the entire 'do it for the kids' thing seems like a quasi-jingoistic cop out. Maybe it's because I live in Chicago and I see way more needy kids, knowing that the money I dumped into DCI this year could go way further here, impacting their lives way more

I mean really, helping a 20 year old kid pay for flights to their drum corps just doesn't give me that tingly feeling when I know most of the 20 year olds in this city have never even been on a plane. And then when I see threads from the 'kids' talking about the 'ghetto' schools they stayed in by the Rose Bowl just reconfirms I'm throwing money at privilege with drum corps

When I started DC, I didn't care about the shows, it was a community family thing, more akin to a softball league. The educational value was higher too…take a kid of the street and teach him to play and march…make the kid a better person that returns to the local community but the DC model has changed so much that I have a complete disconnect from the kids so now, I'm only in it for the shows, my entertainment. That's all the left in D/C for me

Funny how that happens

and, for this reason and many others...people just see it now as entertainment. as i have said before, while everyone who goes to a show is wowed by the kids, i really dont think that much of the ticket buying population does it because of the need to support the kids.

they go to be entertained. drum corps to the fans is entertainment.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a disingenuous argument.

If my argument is disingenuous, then so is any contention that these changes could possibly draw new fans.

How many people came to drum corps only because of a grounded pit? How many people came to drum corps only because of a third valve, or any valve at all? How many people came to drum corps only because only themed shows, asymmetrical drill, the elimination of concert numbers, the elimination of inspection, or any other change in the activity that you could possibly think of?

How many people came for brass and percussion on a football field? (Hint - all of them.)

Based on a lot of other implicature from the rest of his post, I think it's pretty clear that he has. There's really no reason to condescend.

What changed from 1992 to 1996?

I agree completely. However, the same should be said for those arguments that these changes "need" to be made to draw future participants/fans. Marching members and fans come for the total product. I believe it is equally disingenous to claim that fewer kids will want to march if we do not have amps or syths. The only reasonable argument for adding synths is to allow more options in design. Let's not wrap the desire for synths in any other rationalizations. (Not that you did, Matt).

I didn't read your post until after making my previous one....seems we had the same train of thought.

What changed from 1992 to 1996?

attendance went down.

oh and the styles of shows changed to a degree, but nothing as far as instrumentation

If my argument is disingenuous, then so is any contention that these changes could possibly draw new fans.

How many people came for brass and percussion on a football field? (Hint - all of them.)

well, not the guard :tongue:

The internet had risen pretty far by the time any-key brass was ratified (1999) and introduced (2000).

I don't believe there is valid rationale for these comments as most leisure internet use in 1999 was still dialup in many cities...text messaging....yeah. But, to the level we rely on the Internet today...the high speed infrastructure was still ramping up for leisure use on through 2002/2003.

Business/educational use...much different story.

So risen pretty far...yeah...as compared to a mere six years earlier when Mosiac was still in development. Mosiac continues to be the single biggest game changer in the short history of this Al Gore invented tool. Me likee the pictures on these intertubes.

Fair enough. I always thought that specific "selling point" which some of the proponents offered was kind of silly and I never took it seriously. So where do we go from here? They were being disingenuous and so were you and others. Now what?

Uhhhhh, no. I can vividly remember the first time I saw the Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets and Santa Clara way back in the day. If they had performed with a woodwind section or electronics or whatever IN ADDITION to all the great things they were doing already, I still would have been chomping at the bit to be a part of it. And I'm being 100% honest when I say that...it was the excellence that drew me to it. It was like what I already knew from marching band but it was soooooo much more attractive to me because they were so dang good at it. Certainly a million times better than anything I had ever seen or participated in. Now don't get me wrong...I didn't object that those things were excluded, by any means. But the fact that they WERE excluded did absolutely nothing to compel me to want to be a part of it.