Synthesizers in drum corps

To the people who have claimed there wasn't a huge outcry on the internet when Bbs were introduced. You can browse RAMD all the way back to 1992 on Google and you are absolutely wrong.

"Drum corps is dead! It's just marching band now! Thank god for DCA! They won't be getting my money!"

Same song and dance.

It was worse for Bb (and for amps) on the boards than it has been for synths so far, by my perception. That doesn't mean that it's evidence that it reflects how the greater audience feels though. I know that I'm much more disturbed by synths than amps, though I wish both would just go away. But, I only speak for myself (and I'm sure there are some on here who agree with me) so as not to sound like an idiot.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth would you expect anybody take you seriously when you profess to know what "the audience" finds relevant or irrelevant? It's fine that you talk about what you like and don't like, and that you have some people on here who agree with you. But you cannot speak for "the audience."

Waiting for you to call out the other four or more people who are doing the exact same thing....

Cool. Maybe all DCI corps should hold pre-season rehearsals at as many different lighted HS fields as possible, to expand on this idea.

Absolutely, and while on tour, too.

And try to use fields that are visible, and readily accessable. Have as many parents and support folks that aren't busy at the moment as you can hanging around wearing corps shirts and ready to answer questions or offer a flyer.

A little exposure to what corps is about behind the public performing face will probably attract fans faster than waiting for them to hear about new instruments.

Waiting for you to call out the other four or more people who are doing the exact same thing....

I have many times, and there are a lot of people who do it on both sides of the argument. I'm sorry if you disagree with me or think that it's unfair.

Now, that addresses the "at the expense of legacy fans" complaint. As I said, it's a consequence of the proposed change, not the primary reason for it. An important distinction. Now for what could be considered a reason for the change, the "bringing in new fans" argument:

As I stated before, there are two ways on interpreting this commentary. The short term approach is to think that adding electronics will be like the flicking of a switch. I get the feeling from many of you that think Hopkins (and the rest of us who support electronics) are expecting an instant and significant increase in attendance next season. That's simply not going to happen. I would include even the audience of 2009 in Hopkins' "audience of today". That audience is pretty set. What electronics is most likely to affect is the audience of tomorrow. How many kids seeing drum corps for the first time are going to stick around for next season? How many kids are going to last long enough to eventually be considered legacy fans? How many in the audience of today are going to continue and be a part of the audience of tomorrow?

I don't presume to speak for Hopkins, but when I read the proposal I don't see anything about kids who passed on drum corps only because electronics weren't there, or kids who are waiting on DCI to add electronics before they'll start attending shows. What I read is a desire for drum corps to remain relevant. I see a recognition that electronic music is present every where else in the lives of today's youth. I hear a plea for drum corps to reach out and grab a piece of that pie. Yes, we have our tradition; so do brass bands and mummer and pipers and many others. Drum & bugle corps can continue along that path and remain an anachronism, or drum corps can aspire for something more.

The change to allow electronics isn't meant as a short term fix. It's not going to solve attendance issues overnight. In fact, I'll concede that adding electronics will likely hurt drum corps in the short term, as many people will undoubtedly be turned off by the change. But this change is being made with a focus on the long term. In just a few years we've already seen the reaction to amplification die down significantly. Even some shows with amplified voice have been voted as fan favorites. I expect that trend will continue, and we'll see less resistance with each passing year. By the same reasoning, I expect we'll see amplification and electronics eventually taken for granted, just as we take for granted every previous change to the activity.

Now how many new fans would stick around if drum corps were still as it was in the 1970's? The change to assymetrical drill didn't bring in new fans overnight. The change to a third valve or a grounded pit didn't bring in new fans overnight. But those changes to modernize drum corps kept the activity relevant. Can you imagine if drum corps stuck to its guns and never made those changes? Can you imagine what audience and member participation would be like today? I used to go to shows with my ex, who had marched guard and went only to see them perform. Would she have ever been a fan of the marching arts if guard were still marching in the same uniform as the corps proper, and only spinning rifles? No, she wouldn't have been interested. When Hopkins talks about bringing in new fans, I believe he is speaking with an eye to the future. Maybe electronics aren't necessary now. But ten years from now? Twenty? If the writing is on the wall, let's be ahead of the trend, not behind it. Staying relevant is how we bring in new fans, and if electronics are necessary to staying relevant, then they are necessary to bringing in new fans, exactly as Hopkins claimed.

guess what. the majority of legacy fans arent asking for a return to the 70s. we're asking for a return to drum corps with no plugs or wires of any type.

thats the part so many gloss over. it isnt a return to 1970. it's a return to all acoustic drum and bugle corps.

Yes. And that is what I am asking....do you agree or disagree with how he assessed attendance trends in 2002?

The numbers I have seen published for overall attendance are after that, so I have no idea of how the numbers trended going back before that.

Stonger how exactly?

As has been discussed many times and agreed to be people on both sides. DCA, like all its current counterparts DCI WC and OC for instance...are stagnant at best in...

number of existing corps...

number of performance opportunities...

paying butts in seats...

fundraising opportunities...

It is clear by any analysis that drum corps, as an activity is stagnant in growth...AT BEST.

I would entertain ANY arguments to the contrary...just bring the facts with you when you come to the table.

actually since amps went in, DCA HAS grown in number of corps.

the last year DCI was unplugged, 17 corps attended DCA championships, and we know of a few corps that were out there but didnt come in..i'll guess roughly 21 overall.

now, have 25 coming to DCA weekend, and probably a good 10 corps out there not coming in.

thats 10 corps growth in 6 years. there are shows now in areas that NEVER had DCA sponsored competition. the upper midwest. Florida. Georgia. Tennessee. Texas.

i can think of 6 shows DCi used to run locally not that long ago that are now gone because the current touring model basically killed them off.

how many dci corps have gone away in that time?

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

I hope all is well with her and your family.

Prayers.

thanks. she is healing well and my boss didnt fire me :tongue:

Why on earth would you expect anybody take you seriously when you profess to know what "the audience" finds relevant or irrelevant? It's fine that you talk about what you like and don't like, and that you have some people on here who agree with you. But you cannot speak for "the audience."

Surely you understand that, right? Please tell me you do understand that your perspective + quirky little anecdotes does not equal what "the audience" feels. Please. :tongue:

Careful...last time I questioned anything with this person I ended up with a 3 day suspension...

Do mods ever get a suspension?