Synthesizers in drum corps

I really don't mid anything about it or the singing stuff or use of narration or any other new effects as long as they are done tastefully.

And by the way, it is great to have the opinion about something. Just be able to back up your opinions with things like examples and facts that make your arguments valid. Don't just say that you don't like something. Explain why so that maybe others can better understand your points on why you hate synths. I for one don't see why its a bad idea and no one can give me any facts to state how this IS hurting the activity. Lots of people are saying how it COULD hurt the activity. But none of the corps (in my opinion) have done anything to hurt the overall package. On the contrary I think that some ideas have been broadened by the additions.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forcing corps to use one specific kind of instrumentation is preposterous.

The rule is for the ALLOWANCE of electronics, not their mandatory usage.

But if not using is "tying one hand beind ones back".......

There's mandatory in the rule book and mandatory in other ways......

2) I don't know anything about a near record low. I now a record high = record high, going back through the corps history. I would assume that means if, say, Cavaliers post record high attendance for their auditions this year, that is for their entire 70 year history (including whatever era you want to call the "golden era of drum corps").

KKs near record low was "number of corps availible to audition for" not the number of people auditioning....

DCI needs to understand that the paying public is made up of those legacy fans and high school kids, and yes, the people who responded to what you dismiss as a "Silly internet poll". If DCI thinks they can ignore all this then they are being stupid and arrogant.

Doesn't that happen to coincide with a record or near record low for the number of corps available to audition for?

Doesn't that happen to coincide with a record or near record low for the number of shows available to go to?

And here's a lot of the problem. From what I've seen in this thread, few of the pro-synth people seem to know any drum corps history. They don't seem to realize that there were once (and not all that long ago) over 100 corps, deeply rooted in their communities. With that number of corps there were many, many, more shows per season-not to count thre thrills of regional championships. DCI killed all of that ithrough policies changes.

Considering how many corps DCI has lost due to their policies in their pursuit of marching band styles and instrumentation, it's not at all surprising that the tiny amount of corps left can report a lot of kids coming to audition.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

And here's a lot of the problem. From what I've seen in this thread, few of the pro-synth people seem to know any drum corps history. They don't seem to realize that there were once (and not all that long ago) over 100 corps, deeply rooted in their communities. With that number of corps there were many, many, more shows per season-not to count thre thrills of regional championships. DCI killed all of that ithrough policies changes.

Considering how many corps DCI has lost due to their policies in their pursuit of marching band styles and instrumentation, it's not at all surprising that the tiny amount of corps left can report a lot of kids coming to audition.

dude you are right we should have 1,000000000000000000 corps out there. That was we can watch corps with 50 members in them. Yeah that would be fun.

oh and by the way just because people are pro anything does not mean you should judge their intelligence. just because your views are different does not always you are right or wrong.

The same staff members/designers who pushed for synth usage are the ones who have been using it with enormous success in marching band for years.

This is an opinion I don't agree with. Enormous success? If their success has been so huge, why are there still balance problems in the 4th week of competition? Why did Bluecoats experience so many problems with their narration last year?

IMO, even great bands sound bad with electronic instruments. Why would it be any better in drum corps? To me that's an enormous fail.

Garry in Vegas

This is an opinion I don't agree with. Enormous success? If their success has been so huge, why are there still balance problems in the 4th week of competition? Why did Bluecoats experience so many problems with their narration last year?

IMO, even great bands sound bad with electronic instruments. Why would it be any better in drum corps? To me that's an enormous fail.

Garry in Vegas

Well let me name off all the corps who aren't using electric anything and yet they still have musical balance problems. To me, their is an art to finding musical balance with of without synths. I personally like the new colors that i have heard this year. I could not have heard these things without the use of electronics.

The section of the proposal that I referred to states that:

1) "young people are not coming into the stands"

2) "DCI needs to go after these young people as our primary audience."

and 3) "as we reposition ourselves we need to be COOL."

It seems clear from the context (this is a proposal to use electronic instruments, after all) that the use of electronic instruments will make us "COOL", and bring young people into the stands. The implied negative is that if we don't use electronic instruments, DCI will be "unCOOL" and the young people won't come.

Nope..I disagree with your end point. George is not saying that this is THE reason at all. It's part and parcel of updating the activity; it's the totality of things, including electronics, that he talks about. This was a proposal for electronics, so of course he will discuss them, but it's pretty clear to me from reading lots of things he has written over the years that he is thinking in more expansive terms...and trying to get there one piece at a time.