OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

I thought the goal with the new uni was to go to white pants once the corps was up to par?

(so wait longer)

I to was told the same thing via the Scouts ED of two ears ago. But, that's two years ago and another ED ago. Furthermore, it was never explained to me what "that" defining moment would be that says "ah-ha!.....they've arrived! and are now worthy of being re-fitted into white pants"! I guess we need to establish what "up to par" means?

I'd argue that white pants forces you to become "up to par" real quick. In other words, just do it!

Edited by Mad75

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A TOTALLY CLASS LESS ACT .

Flipping the bird in public to several corps buses .

stealing .... In any way shape or form ......

returning another corps uniform in a trash bag...

Madison ALUMNI your corps is not showing the class you have developed for years as a state of the art classy organization.

This is not harmless fun. This is a total SLAP in the fav=ce to every MADISON SCOUT ALUMNI .

DCI should and WILL hear about this.

For the record . I personally say Many members of the MADISON SCOUTS flipping the bird to at least 3 corps in buses as the other corps were were leaving .

All in total view of the public.

Must be part of that Swagger thing. Yeah, everything's great - everyone just shut up and let the Director fix it all up. In fact he's in the process of fixing, can't you tell?

I did not make any negative comments about the Scouts during the season, but I think now is the time for Scouts fans to speak up. We now know that original music and drill and an obscure premise to the show does not necessarily win the hearts and minds of DCI judges. Accordingly, I hope next year the Scouts will return to recognizable music and some traditional Scouts drill elements and uniform. If the Blue Devils and Cadets can score 1-3 playing West Side Story and 1930's jazz, I think that kind of populist program is exactly what the Scouts need to rev up the enthusiasm of Scouts fans and Drum Corps audiences. If the Cadets and Blue Devils can score 1-3 wearing their traditional uniforms, I think the Scouts should return to the uniform they wore in the 90's. I suspect the 90's Scouts are the Scouts most fans identify with.

Vic Russell

2 years ago the Scouts gave us a show based on an Iguana. This years show was based on a cartoonish charachter, Relampago.

Whats next? I'm afraid to find out. I know that Ramiro Barera has had success with the Blue Devils, but please...no more Scouts shows from him...ever.

I hope Madison can right the ship & get back on their feet.

I've got the perfect suggestion. Instead of obscure Latin music and obscure show concepts, I have 3 words that spell out the perfect show concept.

J

C

S

I did not make any negative comments about the Scouts during the season, but I think now is the time for Scouts fans to speak up. We now know that original music and drill and an obscure premise to the show does not necessarily win the hearts and minds of DCI judges. Accordingly, I hope next year the Scouts will return to recognizable music and some traditional Scouts drill elements and uniform. If the Blue Devils and Cadets can score 1-3 playing West Side Story and 1930's jazz, I think that kind of populist program is exactly what the Scouts need to rev up the enthusiasm of Scouts fans and Drum Corps audiences. If the Cadets and Blue Devils can score 1-3 wearing their traditional uniforms, I think the Scouts should return to the uniform they wore in the 90's. I suspect the 90's Scouts are the Scouts most fans identify with.

Vic Russell

Unless the corps can get a VERY good deal on a new uniform, I would not want them to switch. It would be an unnecessary expense.

Now, I do agree with you on changes in approach and design. Original music based on an obscure Mexican comic book character was a terrible idea, and the show after the opener had problems all season that no amount of changes could fix. If the last two seasons have taught us anything (Devils, Cadets and SCV this year, PR, Crown, Bluecoats last year as some examples), it is that recognizable music performed well will be rewarded. I'm waiting to talk with some folks who were with the corps on a daily basis to get a better idea about what was going on, but my inclination is that the design team needs some changes, particularly in the visual area. If these parts of the puzzle aren't fixed, all the uniform changes in the world won't make a difference.

Look at all the kids who did well in I & E. A lack of talent is not the problem here.

I've got the perfect suggestion. Instead of obscure Latin music and obscure show concepts, I have 3 words that spell out the perfect show concept.

J

C

S

Amen brother.........I liked that one to!

The Madison Scouts not performing at DCI Finals for the 3rd time in 8 years. I never, ever thought I would see this. I'm very disappointed and discouraged.

Unless the corps can get a VERY good deal on a new uniform, I would not want them to switch. It would be an unnecessary expense.

Now, I do agree with you on changes in approach and design. Original music based on an obscure Mexican comic book character was a terrible idea, and the show after the opener had problems all season that no amount of changes could fix. If the last two seasons have taught us anything (Devils, Cadets and SCV this year, PR, Crown, Bluecoats last year as some examples), it is that recognizable music performed well will be rewarded. I'm waiting to talk with some folks who were with the corps on a daily basis to get a better idea about what was going on, but my inclination is that the design team needs some changes, particularly in the visual area. If these parts of the puzzle aren't fixed, all the uniform changes in the world won't make a difference.

Look at all the kids who did well in I & E. A lack of talent is not the problem here.

Jim,

Hate to be redundant but read my earlier post (below)........

There seems to be more then enough evidence via personal reports (show reviews) and personal comments via live reporting from alumni throughout the season to understand where the problems resided. WRITING/ARRANGING, DESIGN, CONCEPT!.........AND, talent rose substantially from last year!

A live review from last night’s quarter-finals directly from the 'venue' in Indi.

Bob984 (today @ 12:01)

Madison......they were fairly strong in the 1st half of the show......arrangements are not up to the caliber of the corps.....

visual design ok......endings not fully developed musically.......execution was ok across the board, but this

is another group in desperate need of an arranger............

.......Again, more evidence via consistent comments from the entire season. It's without a doubt the Men of Madison have nothing to be ashamed of! They worked their collective

tails off in classic Madison form. It's just a crying shame the Men didn't have the vehicle they deserved, because they certainly had the talent to take the next step beyond last

years finish, and they were eager to do so!

This really leaves some serious questions to be addressed in the off season. The most consistent areas of concern that have been communicated to me by those who've been

very close to the corps (alumni, etc) throughout the summer fall into the areas of Design, Concept, Writing/Arranging (not necessarily in that order). And I

heard this over and over and over and over and OVER again!

Please........PLEASE, can we just figure this thing out before next season?

In the mean time, let’s hope (and pray) for a high retention rate!

As a 90s alum I am very sad to see the turn things have taken. I have great respect for the current Men of Madison and know that they poured their heart and soul into this year's product. I do not know anything about the internal situation and won't pretend to. I will continue to support the organization in whatever way I can and hope that things turn around. I wish we would stop trying to be what the Scouts once were and start trying to be what the Scouts can be. Not a parody of what once was, but a swagger-filled corps that projects an energy and intensity that is undeniable. A corps that will once again make the crowd want to throw babies; not because they look like the Scouts from some by-gone golden era, but because they have begun the new glory years.

2009 Scouts, keep your chins up. You gave it your all and have nothing to be ashamed of. You left it all on the field and continued the greatest tradition in drum corps. Those of us that can't march any more envy you. Guys that are returning in 2010, go out and bring the swagger back!

MYNWA,

Michael