Phantom Uniform Pics

What year are these from? Cut-away snares = mid 80's?

One more thing: why the purple sleeve? Did that have to do with the show, or was it just a design idea run wild?

I think these pics are from either 1983 or 1984.

The Purple sleeve wasn't directly related to the show design that I knew of.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those pics are from 1983, although the 1984 unis for the drumline were very similar - just different gauntlets. Seems like I remember someone saying that the purple sleeve was supposed to symbolize a missing, or "phantom" limb. I guess you would have to ask Cesario, since it was his design.

The split-shell, or "HV" snares debuted in 1981 and were used through 1984. In 1985, the first year with Pearl, there were holes drilled around the drum between the lug casings. Normal shells in 1986, then the HV shell came back with Marty Hurley in 1987 and lasted through 1991.

Those pics are from 1983, although the 1984 unis for the drumline were very similar - just different gauntlets. Seems like I remember someone saying that the purple sleeve was supposed to symbolize a missing, or "phantom" limb. I guess you would have to ask Cesario, since it was his design.

The split-shell, or "HV" snares debuted in 1981 and were used through 1984. In 1985, the first year with Pearl, there were holes drilled around the drum between the lug casings. Normal shells in 1986, then the HV shell came back with Marty Hurley in 1987 and lasted through 1991.

The split shells didn't come back until '89 and I believe we had them through '92. Starting in '93 we used Premier percussion.

The split shells didn't come back until '89 and I believe we had them through '92. Starting in '93 we used Premier percussion.

Yeah, you're right about 1989 - temporary brain hiccup. In '92 they went back to full shells before switching to Premier in 1993 when Jeff Prosperie took over.

THe 92 line was sooo much better than the finals recording demonstrates. There were some fine musicians in that bunch.

Regiment! Tonight, we dine IN ORLANDO!!!

Can't quite get the phrase right, but...something like...

"We shall slay you with the tossing of a million flag poles!"

"Then we shall perform our show in the shade, won't we??"

I want to go on record and state that returning to black would be a disastrous move. The fans may eat it up due to the history there, I make no claim regarding that, but I think an all-black look will damage the product on the field.

Disastrous...meh. It would go over well for a year or two, if the shows work. 95...meh. 96...magic! 97...Wagner Without the Wabbit?? C'mon...let the fans have their little sing-along.

My problem with black today is...EVERYONE wears black today! Crossmen top to bottom. BD, Blooo, Cavies and many others have black jumpsuits. Crown, Cadets and Phantom have long been the originators of...light-colored unis!

Keep 'em in whities!

Of course, black unis are miserable in parades...maybe why they skipped Memorial Day parade(s)??

Dangit...they are on central time, aren't they? :rolleyes:

30 minutes to go.........