Surprise Corps

Is he speaking for the corps administration when he says that?Or just a tongue in cheek remark by a marching member?

Huge difference there./

well he said it when he was on administration.

i for one hope they dont

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is the corps that scores a lot higher than the previous years.

*turns off the Jeff Ream part of the brain*

So what specific corps are we talking about? I haven't heard much about the sizes of the eastern corps this year.

But I agree with you: I've seen amazing performances from 30+ member hornlines, a dozen guard and a battery+pit in the teens. Performances that could easily win a show. So I don't think that size is a factor. As long as a particular corps maintains it's commitment to quality instruction and design, I think it's perfectly reasonable that a "smallish" corps could be the best of the bunch.

Again, I'm not sure there is a direct correlation between size and quality. While MBI may be pushing the size limit this year, it doesn't mean that a sharp, clean and nimble smaller corps couldn't take the prize. (Of course, I'd pee my pants if MBI did win though! :lol: )

There were just some repeated posts stating that there were"rumors" about established corps being down in numbers. Who knows what corps he/she was talking about. I just saw, like, 4 or 5 of those posts in the last couple weeks, and thought I'd put my 2 cents in: that I thought the established corps would do fine, even with smaller numbers.

I think people hear rumors and think that it means a corps is ripe to be passed in the standings. But, you still need all the right stuff, yourself, to be competitive, and to move up past those corps' with outstanding experience and resources already in place.... even IF they DO have smaller numbers. And, on top of that, every corps has to deal with the economy this year, one way or another, anyway.

Edited by brassomaniac

My guess is the corps that scores a lot higher than the previous years.

*turns off the Jeff Ream part of the brain*

you are so 3 pages ago :lol:

Here are the numbers from prelims last year.

Corps, Brass, Battery, Guard, Pit, Total Performing Members

Bucs 58 25 29 13 125

MBI 48 22 24 12 106

Empire 58 22 24 12 116

Hurc's 49 27 28 10 113

Cabs 50 18 24 14 106

bush 33 18 34 10 95

Brig's UNKOWN

Gades 51 20 18 7 96

CV 46 12 21 6 85

Cru 41 14 12 16 83

mcl 38 10 8 7 63

Alliance 25 18 11 7 61

FC 28 11 12 7 58

Kilties 50 23 15 11 100

Chops 14 9 8 7 38

Dream 21 10 17 4 52

Gren 21 11 10 5 47

Govies

WS 18 10 ? 12 ?

cg

GCS 20 7 3 5 35

Ls 17 6 10 4 37

Frontier 22 9 7 5 43

S/S 14 4 5 10 36

Out of curiosity, where do these numbers come from? Only reason why I ask is because Hurcs with 27 Battery? I believe they only had 17. 8 Snare, 4 Quint, 5 Bass. I could be wrong, but 27 seems to be kinda big

a question...do the Renegades still threaten to fold if they come in 7th?

Well Jeff.......if it's any consolation if we take 7th this year I promise to quit the corps.

:blink::blink::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

If I could start and run a DCA corps, I'd name the corps Dark Horse. So they'd be the TRUE Dark Horse every year. :blink:

Of course, if my corps ever won the championship, I'd change the name to Front Runner. :tongue:

Fran

If I could start and run a DCA corps, I'd name the corps Dark Horse. So they'd be the TRUE Dark Horse every year. :blink:

Of course, if my corps ever won the championship, I'd change the name to Front Runner. :tongue:

Fran

:tongue:

You know that kind of commentary opens the door for persons of questionable humor to wreak havoc on you personally..right Fran?

Oh...discretion is the better part of valor... :tongue:

But SOOOOOOOOO tempting!

Are you going to stomp this one Rich? I see you lurking out there! :tongue:

Pat

Good idea though Fran!

Renegades - seven - 7 I'm still waiting for "7 the movie"... what a brilliant piece of marketing "7" is/was

Now, someone earlier had said that larger corps HIDE things. I hate that term "hide"... larger absolutely does NOT HIDE things... if not done properly, it creates havoc that is easily adjudicated in a negative way... but larger can open opportunities...

1. Larger allows arrangements and direction that gives a bit more rest to individuals at selected opportunities. Everything is NOT resting on the shoulders of each and every player to the point where they never get an opportunity to take a breath and the last tune becomes an adventure just when you're trying to leave the right impression as the judge goes to his sheet.

2. To a lessor degree it does open more opportunities. The judging system is a complete build up reward system. A perfect company front with 39 horns and a perfect company front with 58 horns are indeed both perfect company fronts but when going to the sheet... the one with 58 performers has far more opportunity for error than the one with 39 and is indeed worth a higher score...

3. Visually, the truly successful product creates amazing design in transition. If done to the highest degree, this can give much more opportunity for credit... smaller groups can create transition but it is indeed more difficult to succeed at and make perfectly clear. Of course a poor design is just magnified with more elements.... but we are talking box 5 corps here...

4. DCA's entertainment value does give the smaller unit the opportunity to make up the difference in size....

Fran

Fran, you are a GENIUS. Pure, unadulterated GENIUS!!!!