The Old Days vs Modern Drum Corps

Beside the New Elitism policies off the field, the universal 'look' on parade and in competition is now markedly effeminate, compared to three decades ago.

The classic aggressive, distinctive in-your-face D&BC strut and mark-time is gone, replaced by a slow, almost-uncertain rolling "should I or shouldn't I" half-step.

The former military-based squads, platoons, fronts ... all replaced with endless, unresolved ant-like scurryings, to and fro ... like walking in midway through a Shostakovich concert and out again a few minutes later.

Beginnings and endings have vanished in music as well. Gone the awesome fanfares at left field, and the final roaring full-volume chords at right field as if to say "So there!"

Color guards were important, as flags gave corps height -- but it's rare now to see flags held upright and high in the breeze as flags love to fly. Instead, more often then not they just drag in the grass. (We'll have to talk about Old Glory soon.)

Some formerly-proportioned military uniforms have become exaggerated and almost comic-opera clownlike, with huge gauntlets and epaulets and out-scaled hats and caps as from some opium-dream Nutcracker Suite From Hell.

The macho sports-team names are long gone -- the Invaders, Marauders, Rockets, Royal/Regal This-or-That, Knights, Renegades, Jets, Lancers, etcetera .... all replaced by warm, fuzzy, cutesy, Smurfey little names chosen from cloud formations, lake breezes and Oprah Winfrey books.

Drum and bugle corps used to be Robert Mitchum, John Wayne, Errol Flynn and Clint Eastwood.

Now it's become Richard Simmons, Alan Alda, Adam Sandler and Yanni.

While I agree with the overall sentiment here, to be fair, it's also become Sean Connery and Kirk Douglas of late too.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beside the New Elitism policies off the field, the universal 'look' on parade and in competition is now markedly effeminate, compared to three decades ago.

The classic aggressive, distinctive in-your-face D&BC strut and mark-time is gone, replaced by a slow, almost-uncertain rolling "should I or shouldn't I" half-step.

The former military-based squads, platoons, fronts ... all replaced with endless, unresolved ant-like scurryings, to and fro ... like walking in midway through a Shostakovich concert and out again a few minutes later.

Beginnings and endings have vanished in music as well. Gone the awesome fanfares at left field, and the final roaring full-volume chords at right field as if to say "So there!"

Color guards were important, as flags gave corps height -- but it's rare now to see flags held upright and high in the breeze as flags love to fly. Instead, more often then not they just drag in the grass. (We'll have to talk about Old Glory soon.)

Some formerly-proportioned military uniforms have become exaggerated and almost comic-opera clownlike, with huge gauntlets and epaulets and out-scaled hats and caps as from some opium-dream Nutcracker Suite From Hell.

The macho sports-team names are long gone -- the Invaders, Marauders, Rockets, Royal/Regal This-or-That, Knights, Renegades, Jets, Lancers, etcetera .... all replaced by warm, fuzzy, cutesy, Smurfey little names chosen from cloud formations, lake breezes and Oprah Winfrey books.

Drum and bugle corps used to be Robert Mitchum, John Wayne, Errol Flynn and Clint Eastwood.

:tongue::blink:

Well, it's one way to look at it! Good stuff.

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

While I agree with the overall sentiment here, to be fair, it's also become Sean Connery and Kirk Douglas of late too.

:tongue: Post of the week! :blink:

So it is. What was done in the 1960's/1970's was also markedly different than what was in the 1930's/1940's. Putting on a uniform and marching around in a certain era doesn't automatically make you "The Commandants Own" in the 60's any more than it did in the 30's, or now. Effeminate? Tell a Cavalier or Scout that now to their face and let's see what happens.

Really? Try to break ranks through the Boston Crusaders this year. Let us know how that turns out.

That's funny; I seem to remember seeing quite a few company fronts last season. Visual moves now in conjunction with the music, instead of being an afterthought.

Crown 2008 was a show full of "endings", not to mention the fact that they also had "roaring, full volume chords". Some corps named Phantom Regiment even started their show with a fanfare.

I'll give you a few points here . . .there's not as much precision as I'd like to see in modern guard. Too much emoting and dance at times. However, it's not like there's a color pre anymore, though.

The Cadets would like to have a word with you regarding uniforms. Pretty much the same look the whole time they've been around, with minor changes.

Hmmm . . .the macho sports-team names "Cavaliers", "Cadets", "Scouts" and several others have been around 60+ years. Last I checked, there was also a corps that goes by the name of "Renegades" in San Francisco.

Yes, because marching around in the 1960's in wool uniforms playing "My Country 'Tis Of Thee" made you anymore of a bad-### than kids who put on a uniform and perform now.

Kids on a football field then; kids on a football field now.

Summary: Drum corps has changed some and some people might not like all the changes (myself included). However, let's not look through rose colored glasses at "then" and automatically deride the "now" in the process.

Also, I stomp them.

one positive of then and now in color guards is uniforms of today....usually. Occasionally there is something hideous but most outfits are flattering to a great extent. Cadets '04 anyone? Though I miss the shorts on Blue Stars guard.

Well, gee, way to be ambiguous with your feelings.

Tim The Tool Man has spoken !!

Seriously I don't think you've been near a drum corps in decades. I'll agree with the recommendation of Bawker -- go break the ranks of the Cavies or Scouts or Devs and tell them they're a bunch effeminate wussies while you're at it.

The intensity and aggression of in-your-face moments are still there (much more intense in my opinion); fortunately corps today are capable of expressing a much wider of range emotion (both musically and visually) than Battle Hymn and National Emblem!

----

mike

Edited by corpsband

The intensity and aggression of in-your-face moments are still there (much more intense in my opinion); fortunately corps today are capable of expressing a much wider of range emotion (both musically and visually) than Battle Hymn and National Emblem!

----

mike

I think the opposite is true. I think shows tend to be more emotionally vanilla than they once were. I think that is why Phantom was so refreshing last year. That show had a truckload of emotion. The most since Phantom in 2003 IMO.

Biggest change in my opinion is the shift in the balance of prioritization between art and precision. There has always been competing priorities in that regard. In the 70s clearly precision was a priority. I agree with others that a clear shift begain in 83/84 with the shift in the scoring system that has continued to evolve over time. I don't believe scoring explains all of it. I think the lack of local membership and the lack of off season rehearsal time also contributes to the seemingly less focus on precision. There just isn't enough time to commit to basics and technique when the vast majority of the kids just fly in for periodic camps and all days don't start until June.

Getting off a Corps bus with that familar smell of bus fumes enveloping your senses and immediately looking out and asking yourself... " who Am I, and How did I get here ? " is still the same.

Edited by BRASSO