The Old Days vs Modern Drum Corps

I don't mean to sound morbid about this, but if you took someone who marched in the 50's, died in the 60's, then ressurected them and brought them to a contemporary show today, they would probably know what they were hearing and watching. A bit different, but they would recognize it.

A) Depends on if it was music written after their death or not ?

B) Of course it could be a great game of "whats my melodic line" $1 to PDQ

C) Did they die before or after the movie version of Sparticus ? Could cause much confusion with all that yelling

D) I doubt there would be many tunes they could whistle leaving the stadium, well thats true for many still alive

E) Where are the judges ?

F) Who's this band on the field ? Drum corps start from the end zone and finish at the other end zone

G) Whats a Yamaha ?

H) I doubt they could understand spandex much less men in tights...........

I ) hey, LOOK, it's the TROOPERS !

Ok ok ok, I'll stop....all meant in good fun

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When visual programs were permitted to start and end anyplace on the field is the change I think has had the most impact on drum corps shows and how they are designed.

Actually, I think the single change that created the biggest impact was the move from tic system to the current "build-up" system, or whatever you want to call it. Along with what you mention, this allowed the design team to really open up the playbook in terms of trying difficult drill moves and musical passages without the fear of getting ticced to death. Basically, rewarding difficulty, which has created, imo, the terrific increase in show quality and scope in the last two decade (possibly at the expense of the exacting precision bitd).

All the other changes are merely tools (like them or not) and I agree that drum corps is still more alike than different than it was in the 50s or 60s. I think if that guy we resurrected a few posts above went to a show this summer, he would recognize the activity, but aside from a few awkward glances at the pit and what the guard was doing and such, his biggest comment, I think, would be that they would never have attempted some of the things he sees and hears because of the inability to clean it to "tic" acceptability.

his biggest comment, I think, would be that they would never have attempted some of the things he sees and hears because of the inability to clean it to "tic" acceptability.

Very well put.

Actually, I think the single change that created the biggest impact was the move from tic system to the current "build-up" system, or whatever you want to call it. Along with what you mention, this allowed the design team to really open up the playbook in terms of trying difficult drill moves and musical passages without the fear of getting ticced to death. Basically, rewarding difficulty, which has created, imo, the terrific increase in show quality and scope in the last two decade (possibly at the expense of the exacting precision bitd).

All the other changes are merely tools (like them or not) and I agree that drum corps is still more alike than different than it was in the 50s or 60s. I think if that guy we resurrected a few posts above went to a show this summer, he would recognize the activity, but aside from a few awkward glances at the pit and what the guard was doing and such, his biggest comment, I think, would be that they would never have attempted some of the things he sees and hears because of the inability to clean it to "tic" acceptability.

Whelp... I believe you won the thread. :tongue:

"...I think, would be that they would never have attempted some of the things he sees and hears because of the inability to clean it to "tic" acceptability."

Indeed. Isn't it ironic, though, that (for instance) drum lines are moving at paces and directions that we NEVER would have attempted when the most intense we got was an arched spin on the 50 yard line. The crabbing, the sideways "running," the bending at the knees thing that looks so cool when done in unison... are all being done now AND the lines are super clean. Of course, big "emphasis" notes: (rimshots) "DAH-DOT;DAH-DOT;DAH-DOT;BA-DAHT!" all played way up at eyeball level for the visual impact, not really so hard. But made to look cool and sound tight simply by better understanding of interpritation of even where the quarter note is by drummers now days.

As stated a million times here on DCP over the years: drumming for it's day was always"amazing" each year as drum corps moved forward. It may be laughable now, but in 1972 with Blue Stars very rudimental "six stroke roll into flam-taps into flam paradiddles into a 9 stroke roll into a ratamaque" was about as cool as it was back then. In 1976 when Blue Devils played Channel One Suite and it was so much like Buddy Rich's solo on the album, THAT then became as cool as it got. In 1982 when SCV broke ground with some mad back & forth stuff between tenors and snares, and Bridgemen played cleaner than anyone could ever imagine up to that point, THAT was as cool as it got.

And so on and so forth. Now I watch stuff being played and it blows my mind.

Basically, rewarding difficulty, which has created, imo, the terrific increase in show quality and scope in the last two decade (possibly at the expense of the exacting precision bitd).

Possibly?

Garry in Vegas

Indeed. Isn't it ironic, though, that (for instance) drum lines are moving at paces and directions that we NEVER would have attempted when the most intense we got was an arched spin on the 50 yard line. The crabbing, the sideways "running," the bending at the knees thing that looks so cool when done in unison... are all being done now AND the lines are super clean.

Another reason given why the pit was started way back when. One reason was the drumlines wanted to use more varied equipment and having 1 person play all the tymps instead of 4 playing a tymp each. Other reason was the drumlines started to expand from the elevator drills and those folks with the big ###ed tymps and bells could only move so fast.

That's a good one too, for sure.