Current SCV era

I got to thinking yesterday about where SCV stands today and couldn't help but think of the 90's. Their placements since '05 have been 8th, 6th, 5th, 7th and haven't had a top 4 since '04.

This closely resembles the 90's when SCV had they struggle years. How would you comparable the recent era of SCV to that of the 90's? Although placement might not show it, are they more/less competitive than 90's? Obviously the 90's ended VERY well for SCV, when will we see SCV being a major threat for the title?

Personally I feel the level of competition at the top is now higher than it's ever been which could be part of the reason for their lower placement. Even looking back to 04 the level of quality has increased greatly within the top 8. I can't help think about '96-'97 when they got a new director. I'm hoping that with this new director we'll see an even better Vanguard! SCV every year has some threat to challenge for the title, but I believe within the next few years that threat will become larger and larger.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to thinking yesterday about where SCV stands today and couldn't help but think of the 90's. Their placements since '05 have been 8th, 6th, 5th, 7th and haven't had a top 4 since '04.

This closely resembles the 90's when SCV had they struggle years. How would you comparable the recent era of SCV to that of the 90's? Although placement might not show it, are they more/less competitive than 90's? Obviously the 90's ended VERY well for SCV, when will we see SCV being a major threat for the title?

Personally I feel the level of competition at the top is now higher than it's ever been which could be part of the reason for their lower placement. Even looking back to 04 the level of quality has increased greatly within the top 8. I can't help think about '96-'97 when they got a new director. I'm hoping that with this new director we'll see an even better Vanguard! SCV every year has some threat to challenge for the title, but I believe within the next few years that threat will become larger and larger.

The competition level at the top is indeed higher than it has ever been.

With the exception of 2004, I think SCV has become increasingly less interesting to me personally for one reason..... Key Poulan. I never really like his stuff. I love SCV though. I hope something changes. They are a classy group of people and I want to see them challenging every year.

To quote Bob Dylan, "Oh the times, they are a changin'."

One could probably ponder the same about the Madison Scouts.

Every corps has its ups and downs. However, I wouldn't call out SCV too much; they haven't fallen out of the top 12. I'd rather have them maintain than fall out.

With the exception of 2004, I think SCV has become increasingly less interesting to me personally for one reason..... Key Poulan. I never really like his stuff. I love SCV though. I hope something changes. They are a classy group of people and I want to see them challenging every year.

Amen to that. I used to love Key's music a lot, but aside from the Eclipse piece from last year, it's just gotten boring.... They need to be looking for a new arranger, or Key needs to spice up his stuff.

maybe because Key Poulan is a marching band writer? Every band almost in my area uses Key Poulan shows which im not that interested in.

maybe because Key Poulan is a marching band writer? Every band almost in my area uses Key Poulan shows which im not that interested in.

Jay Bocook writes for marching bands too, and that obviously doesn't affect his drum corps arrangements one bit. I think that Key just arranges for too many groups. If he only had a few groups to arrange for per year, I think his stuff would be a lot more entertaining.

Edited by cmathis

Vanguard needs a new era. New era. New, new, new new era.

:lol:

They need long jackets and go back to playing strictly Broadway musicals......with the obligatory Magic trick! :) ....ok maybe not

he has much more marching band groups. have you looked at his site?