The Good Doctor Beat

In watching Fan Network videos, I've noticed the predominance of corps using the good Dr. Beat, even in standstill arcs. I can see the benefits of it, especially for learning drill without music. Since I've never marched, I'm just curious - do corps really need it for standstills? Do they use it in ensemble rehearsals while they're on the move? Is it a crutch, or does it legitimately help the marchers to internalize the tempo? Does over-reliance on Dr. Beat make it more difficult to install subtleties like rubato and accelerandos? These musical nuances are relatively absent from corps music in comparison to concert music, although I can understand how marching and being spread across the field make them more difficult. Just curious, thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty necessary, especially on the move and especially at this point of the year

So do corps use it less later in the summer? And if they do, is it more to emphasize bumping up the tempo and maintaining it, for example?

So do corps use it less later in the summer? And if they do, is it more to emphasize bumping up the tempo and maintaining it, for example?

Yes, after mid July you'll never hear Doctor again Hopefully.

Dr. Beats are very necessary to maintain tempo across the whole ensemble (especially for hornline!). But, this does not stop corps from utilizing accels and ritards abrupt tempo changes and contrasting tempi (See: The Cadets '08).

Yes, after mid July you'll never hear Doctor again Hopefully.

Im almost positive we used it the whole summer last year.

and all still turned out well :thumbdown:

Dr. Beats are very necessary to maintain tempo across the whole ensemble (especially for hornline!).

On the move only, or also in standstill? From my limited perspective, standstill seems like overkill beyond the first week of camp or so.

But, this does not stop corps from utilizing accels and ritards abrupt tempo changes and contrasting tempi (See: The Cadets '08).

Agreed, but there does seem to be limited, and relatively less effective, use of these features outside the "elite". Certainly a challenge of being spread on the field.

I've never marched in a corps, but during high school we only used the Good Doctor during parts of rehearsals. Marching with the Doctor during ANY kind of performance (whether it be family show, competition, or a standstill concert) was a ridiculous idea no matter what time of the season it was. I hate it when I hear the doctor during performances/concerts, even this early in the season.