The "Perfect" Show

I'm also surprised the '02 Cavies haven't been mentioned. Say what you will about new age drum corps show, the drill and execution was about as close to perfect as anyone is going to get.

The problem, at least for me, with 2002 Cavaliers is that the music is weak. Good horn line, obviously, but weak arrangements and really nothing people would listen to a lot without the visual. Shows like 84 Garfield contain the perfect marriage between visual, music, impact points and emotion, and story line. I must agree with many others, to me, that show was PERFECT!

My list of perfect shows would be:

74 SCV

74 Anaheim

75 Madison Scouts

79 Blue Devils

84 Garfield Cadets

87 Garfield Cadets

87 SCV

91 Star of Indiana

95 Madison Scouts

2000 Cadets

2004 Cavaliers

2008 Phantom

I call them "perfect" not because they were perfectly executed, although all of them were really good, but to me each show contained the right mix of excellence, show design, demand, and entertainment. Regardless of where they placed I would not have changed a single thing in any of those shows. They were just perfect for my taste! :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hit it on the head, Bill. I hope you're doing well!

Hello Dave,

Doing well. Hope to see you at the 75th in August. I'll be going out.

I only wish we had actual rehearsal time in 84, rather than all those bus/food truck breakdowns. Would be nice to have seen what the execution would have been like then!

Obviously, there has never been a recorded score of 100.00 in DCI history; but there are some shows that are held on a higher pedestal. Higher than champions and innovators and even higher than our own personal favorites. These shows have it all. superior music, spectacular drill, and just the right group of marchers to make it all click. Even in some of our personal favorites, there are those little spots that we could do without. In these shows, though, there isn't a single moment you'd insert or take away.

Which shows would you consider to be "perfect"?

I'd have to say (as I did in another thread) the '84 Garfield Cadets had, without a doubt, a perfect show. The show had a wide range of emotions and really got the essence of West Side Story. Of course, George Zingali provided excellent drill that suited the show perfectly; and, at least on Finals Night, the Cadets made magic. It's been 25 years since this show debuted; but it still has the effect it did all those years ago. Even non-drum corps fans enjoy it.

1988 Blue Devils

Geoffrey

The problem, at least for me, with 2002 Cavaliers is that the music is weak. Good horn line, obviously, but weak arrangements and really nothing people would listen to a lot without the visual. Shows like 84 Garfield contain the perfect marriage between visual, music, impact points and emotion, and story line. I must agree with many others, to me, that show was PERFECT!

My list of perfect shows would be:

74 SCV

74 Anaheim

75 Madison Scouts

79 Blue Devils

84 Garfield Cadets

87 Garfield Cadets

87 SCV

91 Star of Indiana

95 Madison Scouts

2000 Cadets

2004 Cavaliers

2008 Phantom

I call them "perfect" not because they were perfectly executed, although all of them were really good, but to me each show contained the right mix of excellence, show design, demand, and entertainment. Regardless of where they placed I would not have changed a single thing in any of those shows. They were just perfect for my taste! :)

To follow your line, I would list mine as:

1979 Phantom Regiment

1980 27th Lancers

1982 Blue Devils/Garfield Cadets

1983 Phantom Regiment

1984 Garfield Cadets/Blue Devils

1985 Madison Scouts

1986 Blue Devils

1988 Blue Devils/Madison Scouts

1989 Blue Devils/Cadets

1990 Phantom Regiment/Star of Indiana

1991 Phantom Regiment/Crossmen

1992 Phantom Regiment (Most underated show of all time, imo)

1995 Blue Devils

1998 Cadets

1999 Blue Devils/SCV

2000 Cavaliers

2001 Cavaliers

2003 Blue Devils

2005 Phantom Regiment

Geoffrey

A perfect show entertains you from beginning to end.

My perfect shows

1987 Cadets

2003 Cavaliers

1988 Blue Devils

2007 Cadets

1975 Madison

Edited by boxingfred

1993 Star of Indiana :tongue: