Once and for all...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but no "e" at the end of it, please.

..."Drum Corpse ...".

I'm pretty sure we have a few of these in a closet somewhere if anyone is interested...

Spelling is important. Period. End of discussion. Aside from the fact that I work in an industry where spelling is absurdly important, we all live in a world where spelling is important. Letting fundamentals go, at all, is a bad idea. With "text speech" on the rise, letting anything slide is just pushing that further down the hole. So aside from the fact that this is an activity that I love, please please please correct grammar around you, take the time to reread everything you write, and above all else...

....put a freakin' S after C O R P!

Thank you for that proper spelling reminder.

However, it is not grammatically correct to start a new sentence with.... " Letting "..... as you have done above.

Additionally, you needed to put a period after the phrase " around you " above. Absent such a period, you had what is referred to as a " run on sentence " here. This is likewise grammatically incorrect. You needed to add a period and then start your new and final sentence with " Take the time......." to be grammatically correct. The insertion of the comma after the phrase " around you " was improper, as it reinforced the rather sloppy continuation of the run on sentence. Finally, the proper use of the comma should have been used after each of the three " please " above. It is not grammatically correct to use the word " please " in a sentence in multiple succession without the use of the comma, or at the very least the use of....... ( dots ) between each " please ".

However, I am of the opinion that posters should be able to post as they see fit and be as grammatically incorrect as they choose to be. I am also of the opinion that one can mangle the spelling as they choose as well. I want to know what people think. I don't care a fig if they can't spell, nor write a grammatically correct sentence. Some of the world's best spellers have sometimes been shown to have faulty logic and reasoning skills. In my opinion, this is far more problematic and disconcerting than their spelling errors.

Edited by BRASSO

Another year and corps will be spelled band.

God, this debate reminds me of the old Murphy Brown strike episode; Murphy had management and the union reps in her house and said something like: "Why don't you all drop your pants, I'll get a ruler and we'll settle this once and for all"

The anal retentive will scream "Corps" forever. Those of us with functioning sphincters don't give a crap (as long as you don't call it a "band.")

:thumbs-up:

Thank you for that proper spelling reminder.

However, it is not grammatically correct to start a new sentence with.... " Letting "..... as you have done above.

Additionally, you needed to put a period after the phrase " around you " above. Absent such a period, you had what is referred to as a " run on sentence " here. This is likewise grammatically incorrect. You needed to add a period and then start your new and final sentence with " Take the time......." to be grammatically correct. The insertion of the comma after the phrase " around you " was improper, as it reinforced the rather sloppy continuation of the run on sentence. Finally, the proper use of the comma should have been used after each of the three " please " above. It is not grammatically correct to use the word " please " in a sentence in multiple succession without the use of the comma, or at the very least the use of....... ( dots ) between each " please ".

However, I am of the opinion that posters should be able to post as they see fit and be as grammatically incorrect as they choose to be. I am also of the opinion that one can mangle the spelling as they choose as well. I want to know what people think. I don't care a fig if they can't spell, nor write a grammatically correct sentence. Some of the world's best spellers have sometimes been shown to have faulty logic and reasoning skills. In my opinion, this is far more problematic and disconcerting than their spelling errors.

They are called ellipses and there is a three dot limit.

And I am not a believer in picking everything apart by any means. However, when you cannot properly spell the name of the actiity you are so passionate about, well then. Steps from soapbox at this point in the discussion. Yes, there was an implied noun in the previous sentence. Deal with it.

They are called ellipses and there is a three dot limit.

And I am not a believer in picking everything apart by any means. However, when you cannot properly spell the name of the actiity you are so passionate about, well then. Steps from soapbox at this point in the discussion. Yes, there was an implied noun in the previous sentence. Deal with it.

Cool. A spelling error in a sentence. So I don't have to always edit my posts? Thanks, eh ;-)