Today's Drum Corps Arranging Pet Peeves

My favorite one is the end of BD's Tommy show. Here is my recreation of it.

Screaming sop solis!!!

DuhhhhDehhhhDuhhhhhDana-Na Na

DuhhhhDehhhhDehhhhh!!!....DAHH...DAHH...DAHH

(bVI)!! MELLOMELLOMELLO !!!

(bVII)!! MELLOMELLOMELLLLLLLOOOO !!!

(I)!!!!! DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

UNISOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!

DADADA

DADADA

DAH!!!

If you could follow this then you are officially awesome.

...actually now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that was a bVI-bVII-I progression...

whatever, it's still awesome

I've never seen the show, but I think I can pretty much sing it in my head now thanks to you :tongue:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

overly loud bottom end synth parts

Boston Crusaders comes to mind during their latin/spanish shows the past few years. Ending of the 03 show is similar sounding (only without the suspended upper voices). If my crappy theory knowledge is correct, the technical name would be a Neapolitan with the suspended upper voices and then back to the tonic.
To theory nerd it out, it's not technicallly a Neapolitan chord unless it functions as the subdominant and is followed either directly or indirectly by the dominant.

CookieMonster is correct on the Neapolitan chord and to take it a step further :worthy: what you are actually hearing is a tritone substitution chord. For all you jazz majors and theory nuts that's a V chord where the bass note has been substituted for the tritone giving the bass line a 1-â™­ 2-1 movement. Personally i really like this chord and think it has a great effect when used in MODERATION.

And while I'm at it my drum corps arranging pet peeves are ( may be biased as i'm a lead trumpet player :tongue: )

1) What happened to the Scream soloists? i love the I'm gonna rip your face off type of solos from the 70's 80's and 90's and recently this has gone away and this deeply saddens me.

2) Not enough writing of jazz or latin charts anymore in general.

3) Not enough recognizable melodies/songs in shows. Some corps like to include only snip its of music that is recognizable or they title a show something recognizable and only kind of hint around the melody here and there instead of ripping my face off for a good 20-30 seconds with an awesome melody everyone knows.

4)anything written for instruments outside of the percussion and brass families

5) Shows that are good live in person with drill/visuals but not worth buying the CD b/c the music doesn't stand alone by itself.

Edited by Kyasprin

I guess that illustrates a pet peeve of how music has taken a back seat to drill.

Watching corps in standstill without any knowledge of their visuals it was clear who the main offenders of the that group were – was kind of surprised at just how apparent it was. Its something that has bugged me for a long time. I was more forgiving, or more cognizant of the visuals and thusly, more forgiving than I had previously thought

a show thats not worth listening to is a show not worth watching

a show thats not worth listening to is a show not worth watching

:tongue::worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

- Not arranging for instruments in the key of G

- All the "dut-dut-dut's" in the percussion arrangements..

I jest! ;-)

Drum corps arranging is generally pretty bland, arrangers generally aren't trained in composition and don't seem to have a ton of knowledge or creativity (the only drum corps arrangements that have really impressed me and come off as interesting are those of Jay Bocook) so you can't really blame them for generic writing.

I think my biggest pet peeve is probably just the fact that pretty much every arranger only writes in three keys, B-flat major, E-flat major and F major, especially for openers. I understand this is done for acoustic reasons, but honestly, if you have a good corps to work with you should be more worried about being a bit more artistic and not just mulling over whether or not a chord is going to be hard to tune or not.

That leads me to another thing, there's a lack of artistry in drum corps arranging in general (how many times does Appalachian Spring have to be played for people to realize that?) The genre in general is a retrogressive one, and whenever a corps comes along which goes against the aesthetic stream, like a Star or a BK, then there is a SEVERE backlash from many, suffice it to say, uneducated peoples from other corps and in the audience.

Sigh, it isn't that hard, man up plz

I'm terrible at music theory, but I love shows like the ones Star did and the ones BK does. Guess I just have an ear (and an eye) for unique shows that aren't all with the mold.