Saw Synthesizers for the First Time in DCI Tonight

How so? Both are hardware failures that impact the ability of the instrument to be heard? How is that different at all?

Wow - way wrong. A dropped stick is a human error and drum corps has had them from day one. A microchip giving out isn't.

What's wrong with that?

Already explained. Read the thread, please.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer I have to that is 'so what'? Why is that remotely relevant?

. . .uh, because it would be like losing an entire soprano or contra line for the course of the show, depending on the integration that synth part has in the score.

If someone like Cadets lost their synth for a show this year . . it might not matter much. Spirit, on the other hand, would be facing some pretty big ensemble holes.

Electrical failures are sometimes not the corps' fault, believe it or don't. SOMETIMES. Sometimes the man behind the popcorn cart unplugs all the amps for a whole corps in the middle of a show. Whoops.

I've never seen that. Where did that happen?

Electrical failures are sometimes not the corps' fault, believe it or don't. SOMETIMES. Sometimes the man behind the popcorn cart unplugs all the amps for a whole corps in the middle of a show. Whoops. Sometimes venues can't provide enough power at once and it trips a circuit. Oops. Electronics are still susceptible to what is known as "human error." But let's not be so quick to judge.

OK - I've stopped laughing now. In a thread where evidence is often requested - I'm requesting evidence on this one.

The answer I have to that is 'so what'? Why is that remotely relevant?

You don't care about quality? I thought it was the "excellence" that defined drum corps for you. If that is true, then introducing devices that cannot maintain the level of excellence necessary for drum corps....well, it just wouldn't be drum corps anymore. And you would share that view with those who draw their line of demarcation at amps.

I just hope that corps get absolutely SLAMMED by the judges for any of the following:

--Electronic distortion (especially caused by inadequate subwoofers)

--Gross imbalance

--Subwoofers that cover the tuba lines (it's easy to ask yourself "If the tubas stopped playing, would I notice?")

--Synth sounds in the sub-octaves (below the Lowest C on the piano...below 32Hz) being played by subwoofers not able to handle them (kind of goes with distortion, but some woofers have technology that causes them to change the frequency into 2 frequencies octave+5th higher. It's easy to hear this "resultant bass.")

Obviously, I worry about these synths being used to replace tuba lines. I've heard a few already. It's a real concern.

Obviously, I worry about these synths being used to replace tuba lines. I've heard a few already. It's a real concern.

Is that a possibility? Because the furthest extension is to have a 130 member guard and 20 synthesizers up front. That's probably legal right now, isn't it?

But hey - if the sound quality is good, 20 synths = "drum corps" /sarcasm

Is that a possibility? Because the furthest extension is to have a 130 member guard and 20 synthesizers up front. That's probably legal right now, isn't it?

It would be legal . . .but man, you'd get killed in brass and percussion scores for sure. :thumbup:

It would be legal . . .but man, you'd get killed in brass and percussion scores for sure. :worthy:

Maybe, but your visual score would go through the roof! :thumbup:

Wouldn't eliminating the contras hurt the brass score? I hadn't considered what Bruckner is talking about. I can't see that happening but I'm a drummer, whereas he is a pretty smart guy and seems to consider it a genuine possibility.

Edited by kusankusho

I can't see that happening but I'm a drummer, whereas he is a pretty smart guy and seems to consider it a genuine possibility.

I would hope that directors wouldn't be so brazen (especially at the World Class level) to start cutting down on contra sections just because synths can do the low-end stuff. If that's the case, then we're definitely moving in the wrong direction.

As far as Open Class goes, especially for those units with much smaller numbers . . .that seems like a more direct possibility. If the Blue Saints, etc can't find any contras, then (assuming they have the money) using a synth as a placeholder for the contra parts might make some sense.

I would hope this wouldn't become a trend, though . . .but you never know what kind of nutty stuff folks are going to do in our little world.