Saw Synthesizers for the First Time in DCI Tonight

I thought there was already a review (the Academy, I think?) that said there was a synth where the timps should have been.

but it all depends on what you plan to write for. a synth will not give you a good roll.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if this has already been said, as I don't have time to read through all 16 pages right now... I did read the first few.

I do audio engineering full time (both and home and at school) and one thing I've learned is this: the more electronic/electrified things you have, the more there is to go wrong. Same issue the Cadets had a few shows with the narrations and the PA was acting up.

I haven't heard any of the synths in the drum corps idiom, and I'll admit it might sound good.

But in general, I agree with the poster that said "If it needs electricity, it probably shouldn't be in drum corps".

Front ensembles IMHO have gotten to where they overpower the hornline at inappropriate times due to miking and amplifying.

Just my humble opinion as a drum corps alumnus and an audio engineer...

I thought there was already a review (the Academy, I think?) that said there was a synth where the timps should have been.

I wrote the review...it was pure conjecture. I did not say they were replacing tymps with a synth. I said I noticed in their stage show a synth and no tympanis. I then conjectured if corps could/would use the synth for this use.

also refresh me - Sequencing is NOT allowed with the synths, correct?

That's the thing - with a high end keyboard like a Roland Fantom or something you can EASILY trigger multiple sounds, and even set it up so that a particular MIDI value (ie one key) can trigger chords.

Also, how about arpeggiators? There's so much in the rules that I'm not sure were defined clearly enough.

And sequencing can be really easy to hide from anybody other than the staff and player if you really know what you're doing...

If Im correct, any sample or sound used with a keyboard can not produce "rhythmic intent". So no arpeggiators etc either.

Also, I believe if you want to use sampled voice, you have to have a sample for each word. In other words if you want to have "I like carrots" come out of the PA, you have to have individual samples for "I", "Like" and "carrots" seperately.

As an live audio pro myself, I think the corps are slowly figuring out how to do this PA thing correctly. Theres still some out there who need some consultation with regards to transport, how to cable it correctly etc. Just an opinion.

Tito

If Im correct, any sample or sound used with a keyboard can not produce "rhythmic intent". So no arpeggiators etc either.

Also, I believe if you want to use sampled voice, you have to have a sample for each word. In other words if you want to have "I like carrots" come out of the PA, you have to have individual samples for "I", "Like" and "carrots" seperately.

As an live audio pro myself, I think the corps are slowly figuring out how to do this PA thing correctly. Theres still some out there who need some consultation with regards to transport, how to cable it correctly etc. Just an opinion.

Tito

Prerecorded narration is allowed. You don't have to jump through those hoops to do it. I'm assuming you can just have a CD with the narration on it and push play.

Cue outrage.

Supposedly, it's "one stroke = one note".

modualtion of sound/pitch to be determined later

:thumbup: