Saw Synthesizers for the First Time in DCI Tonight

I would hope that directors wouldn't be so brazen (especially at the World Class level) to start cutting down on contra sections just because synths can do the low-end stuff. If that's the case, then we're definitely moving in the wrong direction.

As far as Open Class goes, especially for those units with much smaller numbers . . .that seems like a more direct possibility. If the Blue Saints, etc can't find any contras, then (assuming they have the money) using a synth as a placeholder for the contra parts might make some sense.

I would hope this wouldn't become a trend, though . . .but you never know what kind of nutty stuff folks are going to do in our little world.

It's already happening with timps, apparantly.....

Maybe it's not so far-fetched.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope that directors wouldn't be so brazen (especially at the World Class level) to start cutting down on contra sections just because synths can do the low-end stuff. If that's the case, then we're definitely moving in the wrong direction.

As far as Open Class goes, especially for those units with much smaller numbers . . .that seems like a more direct possibility. If the Blue Saints, etc can't find any contras, then (assuming they have the money) using a synth as a placeholder for the contra parts might make some sense.

I would hope this wouldn't become a trend, though . . .but you never know what kind of nutty stuff folks are going to do in our little world.

This is where I see potential for synths to significant damage to the integrity of drum corps. I have yet to EVER hear a synth accurately recreate the sound of an acoustic instrument. Also, there is absolutely NO way to recreate the sound of 12 contras spread accross the back of a field by using a synth that produces sound from one fixed location by the front line. With that said, I'd be astonished if it ever did really come to that. Here's hoping it doesn't.

This is where I see potential for synths to significant damage to the integrity of drum corps. I have yet to EVER hear a synth accurately recreate the sound of an acoustic instrument. Also, there is absolutely NO way to recreate the sound of 12 contras spread accross the back of a field by using a synth that produces sound from one fixed location by the front line. With that said, I'd be astonished if it ever did really come to that. Here's hoping it doesn't.

See - I'm no expert but I can't see the synth accurately reproducing a timpani sound either. If it's all about the "quality of the sound" - I'm highly skeptical...

Oh, I'm confident that the people promoting these changes have thought through all these....

:thumbup:

....sorry - I couldn't keep a straight face.

Just to clarify, the proposal did say that brass sampling would not be allowed. Therefore, what you're discussing would have to take the form of a different bass timbre becoming an accepted substitute for the brass voice.

Yes, but Pandora's box has been opened. Not this year, but down the road a bit we will stop seeing "brass" on the sheets because they will need to be able to score woodwinds and synths etc. This will further the shift away from the percussion/brass format of the past, and toward the guard/pit format of the future. Can you just imagine the amazing shows that groups like Cavies/Cadets/BD could put on without the constraints of marching brass and percussion instruments? It will wow us all!

Unfortunately it will not resemble drum corps for some of us.

Not so. The argument, at least one I make, is that the sum total of changes made in an ongoing basis is what keeps drum corps relevant, not one single item.

or shows it jumped the shark

well the good news is despite being told pits would shrink with amps added, they really didnt so thats a positive sign

well the good news is despite being told pits would shrink with amps added, they really didnt so thats a positive sign

Of course, if you're a timp player being replaced this year by a synth player, not so good....

These and other errors and equipment failures will always be a part of live performances. The difference is that stick drops and broken heads rarely result in the loss of an entire section.

and niether does the synth. It is a portion of the pit. One player...one instrument.