The Reilly Raiders played Larry Kerchner's Taps when he was their instructor back in the late 90s. Since then I believe all particpating corps are invited to play it when it's being performed.

Your missing the point. The point is NOT who and when Larry wrote Taps for, but the fact both Bridgemen and cabs both learned Taps at the same time and played it together in harrisburg together. Explain how one corps remembered Taps and the other corps with solists like Curt ang George who play in a gazzilion different musical groups and remember all that music didn't remember Taps as easy as the arrangemeni is . PS by the way I saw George and baritone player plus about 5-6 other cabs sitting in the stands watching. Phillysoprano :bigsmile::tongue::tongue:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reilly Raiders played Larry Kerchner's Taps when he was their instructor back in the late 90s. Since then I believe all particpating corps are invited to play it when it's being performed.

The original TOS announcement listed the Yankee Rebels as a participant.

I was really excited to have the opportunity to hear Battle Hymn! ( possibly ) What happened?

aside to Joe Silver - those quotes about BS - the source was confused ( at a minimum )

I read them a different way , but this old contra bass ( last song I learned was National Emblem in the basement in Newark in late 1966 ) will be visiting a BS alumni practice soon.

Edited by fecontra

The original TOS announcement listed the Yankee Rebels as a participant.

I was really excited to have the opportunity to hear Battle Hymn! ( possibly ) What happened?

aside to Joe Silver - those quotes about BS - the source was confused ( at a minimum )

I read them a different way , but this old contra bass ( last song I learned was National Emblem in the basement in Newark in late 1966 ) will be visiting a BS alumni practice soon.

I was very disappointed that myself and the Yankee Rebels were unable to play the TOS. We did not get 100% of our hornline to commit to the show and our director opted to pull out of the show. That being said, we did have the full commitment of our drum line and color guard. Our sound would have suffered without the missing buglers but I really looked forward to performing this show.

Thank you for showing interest.

Robbie

I was very disappointed that myself and the Yankee Rebels were unable to play the TOS. We did not get 100% of our hornline to commit to the show and our director opted to pull out of the show. That being said, we did have the full commitment of our drum line and color guard. Our sound would have suffered without the missing buglers but I really looked forward to performing this show.

Thank you for showing interest.

Robbie

Robbie

No worries we did miss you and your corps members though. We certainly wanted to return the favor for when you hosted us. The stinger event and everyone running your show had a lasting impression. No hard feelings these things can happen, please always remember you are welcome to hang with us. Usually after TOS many head downtown for an after hours event, mark it down for next season.

All that I could say Joe is that I don't know what number you would have cut out. My Dad had a smile on his face all of your show. It was a great show that Sop line is amazing don't cut a thing.

To leo when you list your corps don't forget our lady of grace where you got

your start lol and I march with BS drum line and if I had known you and your dad were

at the show I would have looked for the two of you I haven't seen your father since I retired

OK....before anyone goes crazy on the Caballeros Alumni.....(But I see it may be a bit too late....And yes...I am a FORMER Cabs Alumni...)

They DID rehearse it,......the day of the TOS show when they were asked. They went over it, but most (not all) of the members did NOT remember it, as they did not play it since last Harrisburg (2008).....almost a year and half ago. The Cabs Alumni are a little behind in their show this year.....and they needed to spend the time to try to finish what drill they have, in the bad weather. So....they tried, they didn't remember it and they were TOLD....to FORGET about it......they were TOLD that they would not do it that night.

Let me make this perfectly clear......THERE WAS NO DISRESPECT INTENDED........and I hope you all hear this....IF THEY WERE TOLD TO DO IT, THEY WOULD HAVE DONE IT.....PERIOD!!!!!

Yes, originally I did try to calm thread but since this keeps going on I'm going to put my two cents in.

FWIW I think it's a shame, no scratch that, an insult that whomever told them to not play Taps did so.

You can say no disrespect was intended BUT even if those who could remember it had played it, and those who couldn't remember it had gone out on the field and stood amoungst the members of our corps and the other corps who participated, this discussion wouldn't be occurring. The whole playing of Taps by the massed corps was about respect. Respect for a fallen member of our activity...

One of the excuses offered was down right pathetic. We were all cold, tired and wet. We all had a long practice day in inclement weather.

So Frank if, as you say, it came down to the Cabs Alum being told to not participate, even tho they had members who could have done so and others who could have faked it, whoever told them to not do so really doesn't get what one of the best parts of this activity is. Being there for each other to help in good times and bad...And that is one of the saddest things I've heard in a long time...

Hey Liz.....

First of all, sorry I missed you in Wildwood. GREAT show and a great time had by all!

In regards to the TOS Show........

Believe me Liz....I do understand what you are saying. I am sorry for the loss of our fallen brother.....it's never good when someone looses a member/family/friend...anyone involved in the activity. It DOES hurt!!!!

The Cabs Alumni DID try........they spent a portion of their rehearsal to try to remember the music.....there were some that knew it, but most didn't, and no one had the music with them. They were not out to disrespect, insult, or whatever negative term you can come up. None of this was their intention. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone, because you know where that goes...........But they did what they were told. If the shoe were on the other foot....

So I guess whatever I say to try to defend my former corps, or whatever any of the actual members say, will probably not sit well with everyone out there......not you, not the person that wrote it, and not the rest of the Bridgemen or the rest of the other corps...or even the fans. Personally, I am sorry for that, and unfortunately I can't do anything about that. Maybe we should ask the moderators to squash this thread, and then the parties involved can get together and try to hash this thing out. It may be better for everyone in the long run.

Knowing Morecraft, he's probably up in heaven right now conducting everybody to shut the f**k up .... :)

Moving on ... I heard everyone had a nice time at the show despite the inclement weather ... GREAT job everyone! :tongue:

To leo when you list your corps don't forget our lady of grace where you got

your start lol and I march with BS drum line and if I had known you and your dad were

at the show I would have looked for the two of you I haven't seen your father since I retired

Sorry we missed you Bill maybe next year.