DCA Schedule Thoughts

Fred was on the Allentown committee for many years, so I am sure he has access to that stuff. I think he even ran it for a while

thta's interesting. but i still don't believe thos numbers. maybe rochester numbers but not allentown. there was not as mant people there as rochester. but maybe my memory ain't what it used to be. i any case around 75 attendence started dropping for the activity.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thta's interesting. but i still don't believe thos numbers. maybe rochester numbers but not allentown. there was not as mant people there as rochester. but maybe my memory ain't what it used to be. i any case around 75 attendence started dropping for the activity.

he wouldn't lie, and Allentown can be deceiving with that bowl look the front side has. plus i always remember people sitting in the grass areas beside the upper deck

he wouldn't lie, and Allentown can be deceiving with that bowl look the front side has. plus i always remember people sitting in the grass areas beside the upper deck

i'm not syaing he's lying jeff. i do belive it's decieving there plus as i said my memory ain't what it was. obviously. i resect what he says. i guess i didn't post that to well sorry.

no problem. Fred's usually accurate, and hell, i dont remember what I had for lunch yesterday and i'm younger than you :thumbup:

Hi, guys!

As usual, Jeff is correct. I was very much involved then. The Allentown figures are accurate. I prepared and presented the report myself.

What's interesting, if we plug-in the 1977 championship ticket prices into Dan's inflation calculator, we can better understand today's predicament.

Also, for 1977, we actually REDUCED prices from 2006! In 2006, championship finals tickets cost $7.50 and $7.00. In addition, we introduced a "low budget" ticket at Allentown for $3. There were 484 tickets sold at $3 that year. We WANTED to compare our event wth the night at the movies option. Average price for a movie ticket in that year was also $3.

I believe Rick Martin is making a wise decision with his Brigs' events. From what I know, Rick ALWAYS makes good decisions!

The Allentown stadium (then) had 16,500 seats available on the concert side, so it's hard to compare with the old Holleder Stadium in Rochester that offered about 6,000 on that same side of the field. Attendance numbers are ALWAYS deceiving.

Thanks again, Jeff!

Also, for 1977, we actually REDUCED prices from 2006! In 2006, championship finals tickets cost $7.50 and $7.00.

And that ends today's lesson in time travel on DCP. :tongue:

I know you meant 1976 instead of 2006 but I had to read it a couple of times before that clicked. :thumbup:

The Allentown stadium (then) had 16,500 seats available on the concert side, so it's hard to compare with the old Holleder Stadium in Rochester that offered about 6,000 on that same side of the field. Attendance numbers are ALWAYS deceiving.

Was only at Hollendar/Aquinas four times but come to think of it the stands did not have that many rows (c'mon old memories). And didn't the lowest row sit up pretty high so it looked like there were a lot of rows. Think lot of people sat on or near the curve at the end zone. Know the corps that were not in Finals :sad: sat in the middle of the other side with some of the General Admission fans.

LOL, only real time I got a close look at the front stands was during 1974 Finals. Was talking to someone from Boys of '76 near there and someone threw a bottle from the stands. We watched security drag him out bodily. :biggrin: (My first year in DC :doh: ).

DCA was at Aquinas/Holleder 8 times - not 4... yes the stands were about 8 ft off the ground... you had to get those horn angles right... finals played to the back side which had a few hundred more seats and no press box... judges suffered in the stands with people all around them...

but the biggest difference post that period.... show design!

People in 1968 were willing to sit back side or in the curve because they still got some major portions of the shows... by the time the show moved to Allentown in 1977, design made it near impossible to enjoy any part of the show from any place other than the front side...

So we outsmarted ourselves via the "improvement?" in design... or did we... I kind of like it the way it is... but it sure makes it more difficult to find "ideal" stadiums for the product.