DCA Schedule Thoughts

Hi, guys!

As usual, Jeff is correct. I was very much involved then. The Allentown figures are accurate. I prepared and presented the report myself.

What's interesting, if we plug-in the 1977 championship ticket prices into Dan's inflation calculator, we can better understand today's predicament.

Also, for 1977, we actually REDUCED prices from 2006! In 2006, championship finals tickets cost $7.50 and $7.00. In addition, we introduced a "low budget" ticket at Allentown for $3. There were 484 tickets sold at $3 that year. We WANTED to compare our event wth the night at the movies option. Average price for a movie ticket in that year was also $3.

I believe Rick Martin is making a wise decision with his Brigs' events. From what I know, Rick ALWAYS makes good decisions!

The Allentown stadium (then) had 16,500 seats available on the concert side, so it's hard to compare with the old Holleder Stadium in Rochester that offered about 6,000 on that same side of the field. Attendance numbers are ALWAYS deceiving.

Thanks again, Jeff!

Thanks for the compliment Fred..........However I am not sure about that whole ALWAYS part :biggrin:

Let's just say I am very fortunate to have a great organization with several knowledgeable people that together try our very best to make good decisions!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way the Reading Big Sounds Committee was forced to find new fans was by lack of stadium availability. In November, 2004, two weeks after confirming the 2005 show date with Albright College, an article appeared in the Reading paper that the stadium would be leveled and a new stadium built. Thus, began the scramble to find a new venue. We ended up at the Exeter Township High School Stadium for the next two years. We went back to Albright and the brand new stadium for the Bucs' 50th anniversary in 2007, and were followed by folks from Exeter who gave us a try the prior two years and liked what they saw. In 2008, Albright decided there was too much going on the third weekend in August with it also being freshmen move-in weekend. This forced us to again relocate, and Big Sounds went to the Governor Mifflin School District stadium which had more seating than Exeter. For 2009, Albright extended an invitation to us to return, and I've received many more ticket orders from the Governor Mifflin area than previously. It seems that if you take a drum corps show to a new area, people check it out, then come back in subsequent years. Of course, it's a royal pain to have to find a new venue and reinvent the wheel every year, but luckily it worked out for us. Albright is the venue of choice, but we're never sure if it will be available year after year.

When Big Sounds was held in July in the late 1990's/early 2000s, we had a few junior/senior shows which worked very well. We had Div. II corps and enjoyed an increase in ticket sales. Obviously, this option isn't available to us the third weekend in August.

The Marine D&B and Silent Drill Platoon usually spike ticket sales, but it's tough to get on their very full schedule. The expense to bring them in is usually exceeded by the increase in ticket sales. Here again, there are spectators that only come out if the Marines will be performing.

A few years ago, we tried to increase sales by offering group discounts to high school band directors, some of whom were in drum corps. Of the approximately 17 schools in Berks County, not a single response was received. Are band directors not promoting drum corps and the opportunity for students to become better musicians? (While I marched drum corps, I was not in marching band, so I don't know the thinking there.)

As for advertising, obviously it is the best way to get the word out about your show, if you can afford it. Television spots are astoundingly expensive. Putting 8 or 9 ads in the local paper costs about $5,000, taking a major chunk out of any profit from ticket sales. Having a website helps, but many of our older patrons aren't up on technology. It seems best to do a little advertising everywhere for the most exposure, yet not break the bank on advertising costs.

We've tried to hold ticket costs down for the spectators. Our ticket prices haven't changed for the last four years ($17 reserved, $14 general admission), although 2009 is the largest show for Big Sounds in the last 11 years with seven competing corps and two Alumni corps. The time will come though when prices must go up to keep up with increased stadium costs, practice field rental, corps fees, judges fees, etc. We recognize that corps need money, so present cash awards to competing corps in addition to the appearance fee. Sponsors for those cash awards are becoming harder to find.

Kudos to Cabs and Brigs for running multiple competitions. It's a tough job.

Edited by amysnook

Amy,

It seems here in PA, 95% of the band directors out there only promote DCI because of all the MENC stuff they get. maybe DCA needs to get involved there as well

DCA was at Aquinas/Holleder 8 times - not 4... yes the stands were about 8 ft off the ground... you had to get those horn angles right...

Yeah, I should have explained better on those 4 times. Was in Prelims 74, 75 and 76. Was in a regular season show in August 1979 for my fourth time. Memorible because it was FREEZING that night. People in the stands had blankets across their laps and snowmobile type gloves on. We did the warm-up (HA) and when the folks in the back clapped, all you heard was *poff, poff....*. :biggrin:

Did do a standstill between Prelims and Finals to get on the record in 1976, but the stands were empty.

Edit: Stray memories of doing Prelims facing the backfield stands. Interesting......

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Was in a regular season show in August 1979 for my fourth time. Memorible because it was FREEZING that night.

LOL....Barbara remembers that show well. She tells me several of the corps members brought basically only shorts and t-shirts with them for the trip, since it was warm in PA. Not so warm farther north. :smile:

Fran

LOL....Barbara remembers that show well. She tells me several of the corps members brought basically only shorts and t-shirts with them for the trip, since it was warm in PA. Not so warm farther north. :smile:

Fran

LOL, tell Barb I have memories of practicing on Saturday night for Prelims on a parking lot at the airport. Our hotel was a TravelLodge across the street and we somehow got across the street without getting run over. First year I had striped jeans (oh the 70s :thumbup: ) that were very thin and a t-shirt. When we had a chance we would sit on the asphalt trying to get some warmth. :tongue: One of the years Sun was at another parking lot nearby and both corps had problems drilling around the parked cars. :smile:

Lancers stayed near the airport last year and I got a chance to chekc things out. Lot of changes to the airport :inlove: but think the TravelLodge building is still there under a different name.

A few years ago, we tried to increase sales by offering group discounts to high school band directors, some of whom were in drum corps. Of the approximately 17 schools in Berks County, not a single response was received. Are band directors not promoting drum corps and the opportunity for students to become better musicians?

Unless there is a staff DCA connection, most HS bands are more aware of DCI than DCA. There are busloads at DCI shows I have attended...the NJ band I teach brought one to DCI East a couple of years ago, in fact. And, while we are not bringing one this year, we have DCI East on our schedule as something we hope some families will attend. We have had a number of members attend the Cadets "Music is Cool" events, and so they are just more familiar with DCI.

Seems like all the promotion of the Boston show has really taken it's toll on the Bucknell show. This was always a big show with a great crowd. Now there is no Cabs or Empire at the show? 'Tis a shame. Seems that Mission Drums could have been put on July 25 with the western NY show, Less conflict because of distance and they could have had the top corps better split between the two shows.

OT - I wonder if there is any chance of the Renegades showing up at Scranton on Aug 1? Oh My! :laughing: