The Rockford Tap

Is he the guy who played for Gateway this winter? If so, that kid is amazing.

Don't know. I do know he chipped a tooth last week which hurt like heck and he was practicing zoned out on pain meds and still played better than a lot of players firing on all their pistons!!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its fantastic that we can start the new season out right off the bat with situations that prompt folks to express their likes and dislikes, opinions, perceptions, biases and so on. Obviously for the DC purists, any thing that is added that is not brass or a conventional percussion instrument is a detraction from the activity. My opinion (OK, here we go), is than in an activity where we need to grow the fan base, i.e. outside of the tried and true DC fans, if, within reason, a component is added that adds to their enjoyment of the show then so be it. The ONLY things constant in this world is 1) change and 2) people will gripe about it :rolleyes:

I beleive we need to worry ourselves less with the fact that a corps has elected to use amps, miking (although I wasn't a fan of some of the stuff Cadets have done the last couple of years - oops, an opinion) and now synthesizers and bass guitars and focus more on the fact that the corps members are having a great experience and that the crowds see a good show. And hopefully feel they are getting their money's worth.

But then again this is all IMHO. :w00t:

Funny you'd mention that...considering drum corps had no problem attracting fans in abundance in the 70's and 80's and before. Did they change or did we change? Interesting question, to be sure....

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Funny you'd mention that...considering drum corps had no problem attracting fans in abundance in the 70's and 80's before. Did they change or did we change? Interesting question, to be sure....

Well, one things that's changed - checked the price of tickets lately? Yowee!

But yes, I do think they (fans) and we (DC enthusiasts), have both changed. A lot.

Phantom is on. I'm predicting already a top three percussion line. 16 tubas. Sounds I'm not used to from Regiment. Wondering if this show has enough to get it done musically. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. So hard to really get a feel without the whole show.

Hey, I marched in the days of piston/rotor bugles and am as big a traditionalist as the next person. Have I been tickled pink with all of the rules changes of the past 10 years? No.

But I also know from talking to my son, who is marching his fourth year with Spirit, that he's by FAR more excited about this year's show than he's been in any of those four years, and the MEMBERS are genuinely ENJOYING performing the show.

THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

Winner! :rolleyes:

Over and out

Well, one things that's changed - checked the price of tickets lately? Yowee!

But yes, I do think they (fans) and we (DC enthusiasts), have both changed. A lot.

True, as far as ticket prices go. It was far cheaper to be a casual fan during those times. As for the rest, i'm sure we've BOTH changed (fans AND the activity). It just appears that the activity has changed more at almost any cost to grasp at extending the fan base. In doing so, DCI is changing the very essence of what drum corps is...what separates it from the "marching band" world...and the part that has addicted many of us die-hards. There's a reason why not all of us rabid DC fans are also rabid BOA fans.

No doubt lots of folks will flame on the electric bass guitar and stand-up bass that Spirit is using but given the show it fits well. Plus the music is awsome and a LOT of fun. Don't know what the judges will think but it will be a crowd pleaser (well maybe not those dyed in the wool DC fans that have difficulty embracing change :rolleyes: )

Go Spirit!

The issue isn't "embracing change". :w00t:

Phantom is on. I'm predicting already a top three percussion line. 16 tubas. Sounds I'm not used to from Regiment. Wondering if this show has enough to get it done musically. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. So hard to really get a feel without the whole show.

Hmmmm. You were quick to bash Spirit with a big "yuck" and references to throwing up, yet you give Phantom the benefit of the doubt, saying it's "hard to really get a feel without the whole show."

Interesting. :rolleyes:

Approx 46 age outs for PR. Zoiks.