The Rockford Tap

Haven't heard them this year yet, but (and I'm a big Cavies fan, too, so I say this with love), their musical books have not worked well without the visuals for awhile now. They're not selling a lot of DCI CDs.

That's really disappointing to hear, because I am really excited to hear the Pampeana on the field. I still hope they can do it justice.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%. To me if you are going to create some new musical effect, I personally would make SURE it is understood. It can be called "echo voices" but the reality is it sounds like a phasing problems unless you know its really "echo voices"? . I will reserve judgement to hear them while implementing drill. I sure hope it works for them. I can tell you that between all 4 of us in Rockford last night, we all agreed that the Cavaliers were by far the least entertaining, and musically very boring. Something just didnt sound right with them last night. It hurts to say that cause I have always loved the Cavies. While true 06 "Machine", and 07 "and so it goes" didnt have the best music, I thought Samauri was quite cool. Obviously Cavaliers can march there tails off and have prooved that countless times. When you listen to Machine on CD it really doesnt do to much for you, but when you see it live, it became rapidly clear that they were the best corps in 06. It is really amazing what visual stimulation does to create a complete package, and know in my heart the Cavies will be there in the end.

i was also hoping to hear good things about the Cavs, especially with the new arranger. i really grew tired of Saucedo after '02. everything became too predictable. his music was an aural anesthetic. after hearing from an acquaintance who attended the show last night, they were quick to inform me that things hadn't changed for Rosemont. i think their exact words were, "cavies shouldn't do standstills."

admittedly having not seen it, if it creates confusion as to what it is, its not effective and should be cut.

Put it on the field so people can figure out that physical distance between the segments is the factor behind the musical writing, and it's plenty effective.

Edited by mobrien

Nice to hear someone's friend told them they didn't like Cavies, that's some worthwhile information. I haven't seen Cavies standing still but there is nothing even remotely confusing about the echo effect in the show itself. Probably because they are like 50 yards apart. Maybe you should email the Cavaliers and let them know that if an effect isn't working on the internet before you've seen the show, that it should be made to be better understood or cut.

But you know it's the same thing every year, even when Cavies have a show that neither looks or sounds like the last 10 years, same thing every year. Just like Phantom was terrible visually last year, three years ago, and six years from now. Same thing every year. Sarcasm off.

Everybody can play. But if don't have a visual and a top notch guard, you're cooked.

And unless these Corps that have a good brass and percussion show have an great guard and a great visual show with lots of demand, their chances of placing high will be severely compromised.... no matter how good their brass and percussion is.

Check the recap. Phantom did not win based on their visual presentation.

When you listen to Machine on CD it really doesnt do to much for you, but when you see it live, it became rapidly clear that they were the best corps in 06.

I think you mean to say "I" and "me".

Maybe you should email the Cavaliers and let them know that if an effect isn't working on the internet before you've seen the show, that it should be made to be better understood or cut.

LOL

Edited by jpaul

i was also hoping to hear good things about the Cavs, especially with the new arranger. i really grew tired of Saucedo after '02. everything became too predictable. his music was an aural anesthetic. after hearing from an acquaintance who attended the show last night, they were quick to inform me that things hadn't changed for Rosemont. i think their exact words were, "cavies shouldn't do standstills."

Funny you mention Cavaliers 2002 in that one of my most memorable drum corps experiences in now my 20 years of involvement was the Green Machine playing at standstill at the Naperville show going in the finals in 02. The ballad that night was nothing short of a religious experience...masterful!

Check the recap. Phantom did not win based on their visual presentation.

I think you mean to say "I" and "me".

LOL

Um, OK

Edited by BlueByYou2000