Musical Cop-Out

That is NOT an argument. This is precisely my point. I think it's great to jump on here and debate opposing viewpoints, but I want to really know why all of us "traditionalists" should support electronics. I read one post, and someone thinks we should just jump off a bridge and go get back in our rocking chairs, then I hear, "you don't have to support it."

I'll go with the second one.

Geesh...put your reading glasses on!

I said you should NOT!

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I ask of Spirit is that they come adorning the baby blue jackets, with the huge delta on the front, and rip my face off with thier '83 openner-"Brothers of Bop."

minus the guitar, synths...;-)

The people that are unhappy about the GOV. had tea parties to make themselves herd.

you can talk all you want but if the dog don't bite the owner won't listen.The shows are D.C.I 's atm machines it's about time everyone pick's a show and stands outside and say's this is enough.And i bet they will start to listen.

Carl

J.

I'm getting a bit cranky, aren't I?

LOL, Granny.

Perhaps I should have said that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Like you, I would welcome discussions that give good reasons why the latest additions are either good or necessary to the activity, and why drum corps must follow suit with the general trends toward homogenization that more main stream entertainments have taken.

Granny Smith--if the use of electronics is legal in DCI then no one has to convince you that it's necessary. If you simply dislike electronics then fine, but the arguments that you use to oppose electronics are not so convincing to those that do support electronics evidently--because DCI now allows the use of electronics. I believe this is a like/dislike issue not what is not drum corps and what is drum corps. If you dislike the use of electronics and all the corps are using electronics that shouldn't mean that you won't be able to enjoy a few drum corps shows each season!

Edited by melloflava

The people that are unhappy about the GOV. had tea parties to make themselves herd.

you can talk all you want but if the dog don't bite the owner won't listen.The shows are D.C.I 's atm machines it's about time everyone pick's a show and stands outside and say's this is enough.And i bet they will start to listen.

Carl

I am attending my last DCI show next Sunday. Ever. :thumbup:

Carl

Or you could stay at home and not hurt the activity with your non-sense. Tea parties= a political joke. When DCI was the way you would have it to be, did you go out and lobby in support of the activity.....probably not. So, now why would you try to hurt the activity by standing outside a show ruining everyone else's good time with your negativity?

Edited by melloflava

The folks who have only been around the activity since the incorporation of electronics have a different and valid view for what they could consider drum corps tradition to be.

That's like saying that kids born in the last 10 years sould be correct to think Britney Spears is an American Tradition....

It'd really be something if people started showing up to shows in their corps jackets, t-shirts, etc with leaflets and signs protesting the use of electronics in drum corps and stood outside the stadium in mass protest. Would that garner any attention? Especially if there were very vocal groups at many shows? Would DCI look at all those people as lost revenue...people who didn't buy tickets but stay outside the stadium in protest?

part.

3) a show which utilizes music from the band Kansas so the use of the string bass is totally in line. Could these parts have been recreated with horns/other instruments? - maybe but these provide a different "voice" unlike that produced by other instruments.

Dang it all, I just realized that not only is Spirit not appearing at the only show in my state, they are not appearing at the two shows in the state that lies between their home and mine. Those being the only shows within a 6 hour round trip of my house, I will not get to hear them live this season. After all of the hub-bub, I was looking forward to hear what this performance was all about.

I was wondering, though, since the show is about the music of Kansas, and it would seem that the rules allow for it, why not use an electric violin? That is a very noticeable sound that is idiomatic of Kansas.

It'd really be something if people started showing up to shows in their corps jackets, t-shirts, etc with leaflets and signs protesting the use of electronics in drum corps and stood outside the stadium in mass protest. Would that garner any attention? Especially if there were very vocal groups at many shows? Would DCI look at all those people as lost revenue...people who didn't buy tickets but stay outside the stadium in protest?

It could be something far worse than you would've imagined, but if that's what you see as the right thing to do in order to make your point--have fun. It seems to me that you care more about your opinions than the actual activity anyway. Some of you act as if you give thousands and tens of thousands of dollars to the activity each year and that DCI actually owes you something. If you pay to see a show(s) and no one forced you two, then it was for your entertainment and DCI doesn't owe you anything back for that. If you no longer feel entertained by the activity, then find another activity that does entertain you.

Drum Corps International is a YOUTH activity and the member corps are not for profit. Would you seriously boycott DCI shows, and what would be your justification(other than you "dislike" the use of electronics)?

Edited by melloflava