Musical Cop-Out

It could be something far worse than you would've imagined, but if that's what you see as the right thing to do in order to make your point--have fun. It seems to me that you care more about your opinions than the actual activity anyway. Some of you act as if you give thousands and tens of thousands of dollars to the activity each year and that DCI actually owes you something. If you pay to see a show(s) and no one forced you two, then it was for your entertainment and DCI doesn't owe you anything back for that. If you no longer feel entertained by the activity, then find another activity that does entertain you.

Drum Corps International is a YOUTH activity and the member corps are not for profit. Would you seriously boycott DCI shows, and what would be your justification(other than you "dislike" the use of electronics)?

It's not just about the electonices it's mic's,expanded numbers,speakers ww's and what ever is yet to come.You don't thnk D.C.I moved in to lucas stadium for 10 years for nothing that cash cow is waiting to swoop in and take over B.O.A.I am so tiered of you people who don't understand because you are a great spectator or you marched for a year or going big time maby 2.It's about the people like myself that marched 10 ,12 ,13 years who were going to shows when you were filling your pants.It's tradition a way of life and we don't just support the activity we love it like you would your family and we hait seeing what greed for money from the top is doing to it.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going quite THAT far, but I understand the frustration. Do I believe there's an agenda behind it on at least a COUPLE of people's parts? Yes. I'm more frustrated with the lemmings that are allowing it to go on rather than stand up for the activity in their voting. Problem is, once something is implemented, you almost HAVE to participate to stay competitive. That's the shame of the whole deal.

I'm not going quite THAT far, but I understand the frustration. Do I believe there's an agenda behind it on at least a COUPLE of people's parts? Yes. I'm more frustrated with the lemmings that are allowing it to go on rather than stand up for the activity in their voting. Problem is, once something is implemented, you almost HAVE to participate to stay competitive. That's the shame of the whole deal.

But you do understand and thats good thanks.

It's not just about the electonices it's mic's,expanded numbers,speakers ww's and what ever is yet to come.You don't thnk D.C.I moved in to lucas stadium for 10 years for nothing that cash cow is waiting to swoop in and take over B.O.A.I am so tiered of you people who don't understand because you are a great spectator or you marched for a year or going big time maby 2.It's about the people like myself that marched 10 ,12 ,13 years who were going to shows when you were filling your pants.It's tradition a way of life and we don't just support the activity we love it like you would your family and we hait seeing what greed for money from the top is doing to it.

I marched four years and I am just as important to this activity whether i'm a fan, alumnus, teacher, volunteer or current member. While I am impressed by the number of years you were able to contribute to the activity ( I sincerely thank you :tongue: that is a lot of years), I don't give your opinion anymore weight than some with only two years. That's not how it works. Although those who were able to get a lot of years under their belts would like for it to be this way it's just not the way it works. Today is indeed a different landscape for the activity than 1952 I do believe --or whatever year those who know claim ownership of the activity want to predate their view of "tradition" to. It's a little belittling to be told that I don't understand or know what drum corps is because I am younger than you--or because I have less marching experience. I invite you to join the activity in 2009 and try your best to enjoy it without bitterly telling me how it is not as good as it was back in your day.

Oh trust me, I DO understand your frustration. I'm right there with ya, chief. I only marched 3 years after I "found" DCI on PBS in '93. But that makes me a die-hard fan for 16 years now. I'd bet i'm just as frustrated as someone who's been around for 30 years or more.

Irregardless

Hint: Don't start your argument with a word that doesn't exist. The word is "regardless." Just trying to help.

3) Yes, its a rock show. As such the bass fits (fortunately its now legal in DCI). It is also a show which utilizes music from the band Kansas so the use of the string bass is totally in line. Could these parts have been recreated with horns/other instruments? - maybe but these provide a different "voice" unlike that produced by other instruments.

Corps have been emulating other voices for decades. Regiment is known for their symphonic repertoire. Ever seen strings in their show? How do they recreate all those amazing orchestral pieces? Could it be brass and percussion? REALLY? HOW DO THEY DO THAT?!?!?!?

Excusing instruments outside of the brass and percussion voice because it "fits" the genre of the source music is a silly argument. If drum corps dinosaurs like me, with our limited talent and slow marching, could recreate pieces in the brass and percussion voices alone, why can't your superior talent do it, too...without crutches?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I was there- I heard a lot of comments from the people around me and none of them came anything close to:

"I'm neutral or happy that this organization decided to put a bass guitar and electric string bass in this show..."

That one person was responsible for more sound than any other on the field- I'd say the bass generated was somewhere between 5 and 8 contras-worth... and I really liked the show overall- battery was great. Horns were strong- I just felt like I, personally, was very distracted by the [very loudly-amplified] electric bass and electric string bass... I would compare this to the reaction I had to Crown 2004 with the singing- it ended up being well-received by the end of the season but it sure did draw some heat for the first month or so-

if you need a picture:

IMG_9614.JPG

I marched four years and I am just as important to this activity whether i'm a fan, alumnus, teacher, volunteer or current member. While I am impressed by the number of years you were able to contribute to the activity ( I sincerely thank you :tongue: that is a lot of years), I don't give your opinion anymore weight than some with only two years. That's not how it works. Although those who were able to get a lot of years under their belts would like for it to be this way it's just not the way it works. Today is indeed a different landscape for the activity than 1952 I do believe --or whatever year those who know claim ownership of the activity want to predate their view of "tradition" to. It's a little belittling to be told that I don't understand or know what drum corps is because I am younger than you--or because I have less marching experience. I invite you to join the activity in 2009 and try your best to enjoy it without bitterly telling me how it is not as good as it was back in your day.

Thank you for the invite but i am already in 2009.I marched from 63-74 and saw some amazing changes.I had the chance to teach from 75-87 great years and i am srill teaching today. just started an indoor drum line in Marion Ohio and plan to use synths and guitars in the pit because i have no horn line i have no problem with that.Next year i plan to add a drum corps but you can bet it will ba all age D.C.I./B.O.A will not get my money.

if you need a picture:

IMG_9614.JPG

I'm confused... thats a stringed electric bass right? How is that even remotely legal? Are violins now allowed as long as theres a power cord running into it? Does any instrument count as legal now as long as its sound goes through the mixer? Maybe tie an extension cord the bell of a sax and say its electronic?

Hey, I just got back from DCI Annapolis.

Every corps that is using synths (Colts, Cadets, Crown) used them to "strengthen" the bottom.

You know, that place where the Contras used to live?

The Cadets, in particular, have a huge MalletKat pumping bass drone through huge sub-woofers.

It was loud enough to vibrate my ### in the upper deck.

Granny, shouldn't you be complaining up a wall about that?

I personally do not like anything electrical at all on the field.

But the top guys voted on this crap, and a broad spectrum (placement-wise) are using it to full effect.

Not that anyone needs to speak up for Granny, as she is more than capable of defending herself, but I think it's likely that she will be complaining about that once she hears and sees it. Granny was in Rockford Friday night, as was Spirit, hence the thread. She wasn't in Annapolis Saturday night.

Building a deep bottom sound has traditionally been one of the standards we use to separate really great corps from merely good corps. But any corps with the right electronic gear can build a deep bottom sound. It won't be a contra sound. It will cover a good contra sound. But it will be a deep bottom sound. It's a lazy way to solve a challenge, and it's not in keeping with drum corps tradition.

Edited by Peel Paint