Musical Cop-Out

Brass only would not be eliminated if one or more corps decide to remain brass only, first of all. It would be up to the corps to use whatever they wish.

As for genre...it's all marching band.

there we go...use what they wish.

yeah like anyone is not on Bb, not plugged in and not using at least a synth

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is it doesn't work that way in DCI, Mike. It may work in BOA when you have hundreds of bands and there is more diversity... but the trend in DCI has been that, as soon as a new rule is passed allowing new instruments/instrumentation, the "big boys" adopt fairly quickly and then, soon enough, the rest follow. It's just competitive advantage. There just aren't enough corps in DCI for it. You don't have to agree with me but thus far that's been the trend.

And I respect your opinion for wanting designers to have freedom to do whatever they please... but I do NOT want to lose the unique brass and percussion only sound of this marching activity... are you OK with losing it?

remember the former director of a top corps...and now director at a different top corps...came onto DCP and when called out about using amps after voting no, he replied to the effect of not wanting to compete with one arm tied behind his back.

Ok, seriously, every one on here who has posted on this topic more than three times needs to get a life or a hobby or volunteer with a non-profit group. All design teams choose a show concept, develop it the best they can, in their own creative way, following the rules and hopefully providing the members with a great performance vehicle to enjoy for the summer. From what I have seen, Spirit has a great show that is crowd friendly, arranged by one of the best brass arrangers in the activity and will give an historically significant corps a needed boost toward a return to the top 12. I am sure they intend to have more than seven tubas (looks like 3-4 holes out there to me) and will continue to develop the role of all the contributing musicians (including the electronics and amplified instruments). Whether you philisophically disagree if this is Drum Corps is irrelevent, this is where drum corps is in 2009, if you hate it that much then go watch some videos of the years you like and stay home. I SINCERELY doubt that the staff will listen to ANYTHING anyone has to say on DCP about the show they have put together. Given that list of names, they know WAY more than you do!

true. and whilst they look down their noses at the paying masses, as more of those masses stop paying, they can brag how great they are to the few people left watching them

One would have thought they had 20 tubas out there with as bottom heavy as it was. Nice effect? maybe. BUT, let's just say that I think that effect should be achieved with guys and girls rupturing a lung on their tuba versus a single guy pluckin' some strings.

Welcome to Marching Band International 2009.

String Bass. :tongue:

Come on now, kusankusho.

If you're going to use a weak argument like that when trying to prove there are astounding differences between all marching bands and all drum corps, then you need to be prepared to extend the argument to cover all drum corps and marching bands, not just the top 15 from DCI's World Class corps and college marching bands.

Again, there are a number of marching bands I've heard that have such overpowering brass and percussion that I can't hear the woodwinds (thank goodness). They sound and play better than a lot of drum corps, both in DCI and DCA.

If you are trying to say that after 10 years of being a fan you still have no clear idea of the difference between aband and a drum corps then you, like others, are trying to introduce a spurious level of complexity to the discussion to cloud the issue.

Yes, because in the band world all sorts of instrumental combinations are allowed...inc all brass and percussion, so yes, more diversity...which would apply to DCI as well if they make the changes I hope will happen. No need for irony.

But they'll all be bands Mike - no drum corps - how many times do you intend to ignore this?

If it's all about the "level of excellence" then why doesn't BOA just start a summer marching band league? Why change another activity to fit their needs?

Because BOA bands don't have the marketing strength that the super corps in Summer Honor Marching International does.................

But they'll all be bands Mike - no drum corps - how many times do you intend to ignore this?

<Insert Monthy Python Dead Parrot comment here>

I have to officially bow out of this discussion. I have now engaged in another topic on nudity and have pledged that if those who make these stupid allowances in drum corps would allow buck naked performances, then I would refrain from complaining about this rule change...or any other rule change.

I am doing this in good faith, so if you are someone who influences the rules committee, please tell them of my gesture of good will. Let them know that I want to see them give the green light (especially to the Scouts) to explore their creativity. If they do this, I will be their most boisterous supporter.

Signing off.

Granny.

I have to officially bow out of this discussion. I have now engaged in another topic on nudity and have pledged that if those who make these stupid allowances in drum corps would allow buck naked performances, then I would refrain from complaining about this rule change...or any other rule change.

I am doing this in good faith, so if you are someone who influences the rules committee, please tell them of my gesture of good will. Let them know that I want to see them give the green light (especially to the Scouts) to explore their creativity. If they do this, I will be their most boisterous supporter.

Signing off.

Granny.

Cougar Granny.........................