Who will be this year's surprise Corps ?

I can strongly say that Crossmen have made leaps and bounds forward since last season. They are putting massive amounts of work into the show and it is paying off...

I attended the rehearsal in Tulsa yesterday, took plenty of video(still working on getting that up), and sat in front Chambers and Field passes' Dan Potter. Once they started playing he commented on the brass sound and compared them to Crown. I was impressed, also. In my opinion, they are already somewhat better than they were near finals last year! The drumline is killer, the book is hard, and the amount of movement on the field is impressive.. Lots of running while playing..

It really just depends on how the other corps perform finals night, but Forbidden is definitely a show that could break Crossmen into top twelve this year. Let's see what happens!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this would qualify as a "surprise" or not, but the successful journey of the Blue Stars the last few years and their early season success solidifying that growth and improvement this year is very nice to see. Some of the younger folks here may not remember, but the Blue Stars were considered one of the "elite" corps at one time.

I would love to see the Troopers continue to grow also. They have always had so much class and are one of the true classics in drum corps. I'll never get tired of those uniforms.

I love Colts. I love them a lot. I have marched there and have a lot of friends I associate with the corps. What they have on the field now is disappointing. The drill is boring and the music is a shadow of what it was in January. They've cut a 3 minute opener to about 15 seconds and 5 sets of drill and the technical passages have been dumbed down. The design team went for something that could be executed effectively and cleanly, but I think (as of now) what we see is a skeleton of what there was during camps and a less memorable and powerful show that I love seeing from the Colts. I hope i'm wrong. I really do.

I was updated the day they cut the intro drill and was also very upset. I had heard great things about some awesome drill and great impacts. I also think the design team/ visual team decided on cuts that ultimately may hurt the corps this season. Don't get me wrong, I think this year is a step-up from last year but I'm not sure anymore about Colts being a surprise corps. Scores right now...well they don't mean a heck of a lot. There isn't a full panel and everyone is being judged from the box. I'm hoping that the design teams reincorporates the missing elements during the Colts' change camp in July. But for now I see them in the 13-15 range, I don't seem them dropping placement but I don't see them breaking top 12.

Here's to the Red team proving me wrong (please!)

I'm hoping TROOPERS!

Not that I've seen anything yet, but purely from the chatter I'm keeping a watchful/hopefull eye on BK (that could be some wishful Alum talk) - I guess we'll find out tonight? Also curious to see how long Academy can hang in the Top 12; they might pose some heartburn for that lower tier of finalists from last year.

I love Colts. I love them a lot. I have marched there and have a lot of friends I associate with the corps. What they have on the field now is disappointing. The drill is boring and the music is a shadow of what it was in January. They've cut a 3 minute opener to about 15 seconds and 5 sets of drill and the technical passages have been dumbed down. The design team went for something that could be executed effectively and cleanly, but I think (as of now) what we see is a skeleton of what there was during camps and a less memorable and powerful show that I love seeing from the Colts. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

I love the Colts too. While I agree with you that there has been tons of changes from the original design and music in the opener. I believe that they did this to increase the corps ability to deliver more impactful moments. Which I believe they have. I believe we are still missing a lot of drill in the beginning of the show as well as equipment that will be added. I'd be shocked if the beginning of the opener stays the same drill wise with the corps standing there swaying. I saw what they were doing before the changes drill wise and it was really neat. I'm hoping they are planning on adding additional work back in once they are comfortable and or get the additional guard equipment. Not sure though. I also would venture to guess that what is on the field now drill wise will look a lot different in a few weeks. I must add that I really like S.O.S though.

Edited by bmroth1

Cap Reg

I was updated the day they cut the intro drill and was also very upset. I had heard great things about some awesome drill and great impacts. I also think the design team/ visual team decided on cuts that ultimately may hurt the corps this season. Don't get me wrong, I think this year is a step-up from last year but I'm not sure anymore about Colts being a surprise corps. Scores right now...well they don't mean a heck of a lot. There isn't a full panel and everyone is being judged from the box. I'm hoping that the design teams reincorporates the missing elements during the Colts' change camp in July. But for now I see them in the 13-15 range, I don't seem them dropping placement but I don't see them breaking top 12.

Here's to the Red team proving me wrong (please!)

I could easily be wrong but my sense was that the horns weren't hitting the impacts like they wanted in the original design but I would be shocked if they don't go back to it or some semblance of it before too long. I'd also be disappointed.

Oooo. some early season Kool-aid for the Arizona crew. Yeah, I wouldn't buy finals night tickets and expect to see the AZ crew this season. Not yet. Too long a haul and too many corps to jump to get there.

However, that being said. Buy the Friday night tickets for sure. Semis looks like a very solid deal this season. And they chomp at that 16th - 14th spot all season long. If they get higher...wonderful...delightful. Not seeing it yet though.

That tour from Texas across the southeast and up the coast to Allentown will shape and define this season like no other event so far. I've seen similar tours make or break it for a corps. Let's get to Allentown in good shape and consistently in that 14th or 15th spot and we can talk about the next step.

The hardest thing to accomplish in DCI if you are not BD, Cadets or Cavies.

1. Making finals the first time.

2. Staying in finals.

3. Cracking Top 8.

4. Cracking Top 4.

5. Staying in Top 4.

6. Winning DCI.

Good points Tom. But I'm pulling for em!!

I don't know if this would qualify as a "surprise" or not, but the successful journey of the Blue Stars the last few years and their early season success solidifying that growth and improvement this year is very nice to see. Some of the younger folks here may not remember, but the Blue Stars were considered one of the "elite" corps at one time.

I would love to see the Troopers continue to grow also. They have always had so much class and are one of the true classics in drum corps. I'll never get tired of those uniforms.

The Blue Stars have finished as high as 2nd place at DCI Finals. There are Corps today whose fans would would do cartwheels if their Corps came in 2nd at DCI Finals.

I agree on the Troopers. It would be refeshing to see this Corps back in the Top 12 and in Finals.