Did anyone think the Annapolis webcast was as bad as I did?

Are you the type of people that would complain about a Christmas gift you didn't like? Maybe, I could understand if you're actually paying for the Fan Network, but if you were watching for free like I was, then what are you whining about? I haven't seen an early season show since I marched, I'd be thankful for a fuzzy 30 second clip of each show.

So...should I buy it anyway, even though this first run didn't work very well? While I do appreciate the fact that DCI offered it for free, I also realize that it was--I'm sure--offered, in part, to draw in more subscriptions. And, IMO, the quality of the broadcast probably didn't help much in that regard. So, until I'm convinced that I won't be paying for an unwatchable broadcast, I'm not going to order it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"when in doubt go to pressbox" should be a principal the person in charge of camera cuts should adopt I believe...

AMEN!

I thought maybe the Holy Name video was some weird homage to the '84 Legacy DVD, with its unerring ability to cut away from revolutionary Zingali drill for more close-ups of the timpani player's hands.

Yeah I definitely appreciated the freebee. And actually their "marketing" worked because I just bought the full thing for $59. I had my laptop hooked up to T.V. and surround sound. The picture was actually pretty good and same w/sound. Not the same quality as DCI DVD's but still pretty good. The video was laggy though and like lots of you have mentioned their were glitches in cadets and crown. I do appreciate the free show though. Oh and my favorite bizarre choice of camera work was when they showed the BACK of the timpani player for like 20 seconds. :sad: Haha!!! just thought it was funny. I'm thinking/hoping they'll probably get better..

The issue here is marketing execution.

Presumably, you offer a freebie to entice people to buy the full package. Because of this, you should absolutely go to the mat to make sure that the freebie goes off without a hitch and is the absolute best effort you can muster. It just makes good business sense. People see a great product, want more, and pay for it.

The diehards will buy it, of course (well, for the most part) sight unseen...but DCI isn't just aiming for that, they want the casual fan too...and you can't get that unless you can bring them in. These freebies are an excellent opportunity to do just that, so it is strange to me that more effort wasn't put in to ensure a flawless product (or at least a product as good as last year).

So...should I buy it anyway, even though this first run didn't work very well? While I do appreciate the fact that DCI offered it for free, I also realize that it was--I'm sure--offered, in part, to draw in more subscriptions. And, IMO, the quality of the broadcast probably didn't help much in that regard. So, until I'm convinced that I won't be paying for an unwatchable broadcast, I'm not going to order it.

It was most likely to try to draw subscribers as you say. It was also as a "dress rehearsal" for real shows. They did the same thing last year, and had some minor glitches, and then the rest of the shows were great. I ended up kicking myself for not buying because I paid for so many webcasts of the shows, I ended up spending more than the long subscription.

If you have the money available, then it's your loss if you don't order it. Just my opinion. You "should" do whatever seems right to you, I guess.

We had three families gathered together to watch the broadcast. The consensus afterward was that the technical issues in that broadcast leave us without any confidence in future broadcast quality, so we won't be paying for the service. Two of the families involved had been planning on signing up for it prior to then.

Fail.

It sucked.

Sounds picky, but in a 5-corps show, there are issues during 3 shows? Not a good performance level. Missed Cadets' and Crown's ballads almost completely.

Made my decision for me. I won't be investing.

In addition, I think the next scheduled broadcast should be free, as well.

Edited by Lafalot

Being the first webcast of the season, and being offered for free, did you expect much more? I'm not really concerned. Last years early webcasts had plenty of problems as well. But by the end of the season, DCI was putting out a good product. They have plenty of time this year to fix any issues that occurred Saturday.

While I agree the broadcast was not up to par, I would like to add some perspective here. DCI and all of its performers/students are struggling to stay afloat, as a person responsible for raising money to support a corps and this activity, I urge you to support DCI by buying all that you can. If you don’t buy a ticket then buy a webcast or a tee shirt or anything but INVEST, don't take this activity for granted or before you know it, it will be gone.

Bottom line broadcast quality, not good, not supporting the activity real bad.

STEP UP! It can only get better when funded properly, it’s up to you!